Riverbed Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Riverbed Technology Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • work/life balance is not super great (in 15 reviews)

• Like many companies of this size, there are some growing pains (in 24 reviews)

1. "A great place to work, with great people, and a great work environment."

Current Employee - Director, Marketing Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Marketing Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Market leader in its space. Great product, satisfied customers. Not too big, not too small, a true "Goldilocks" company.

Cons

Still growing and thus learning how to work remotely (using teleconferencing).

Advice to Management

Talent in South Bay will benefit with teleconferencing equipment between Sunnyvale and SFO. The time spent in commuting will be reinvested in working. If not, a shuttle service with a table to work on (and wireless) will lead to a productive commute.

2. "various work experience and growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed is a place that really allows you to be yourself. I love working here because it is a fast-paced environment where there is always something to do, constantly. Everyone is treated like family at the office and says hello to each other. I enjoy the free snacks in the break room. We can work remotely as we are provided with a laptop. We are compensated well for our work but I am also required to work weekends various times.

Cons

Heavy workload (if you cannot handle it)

Advice to Management

Please hire more headcount as our company is growing we need more support

3. "I'm surrounded by smart people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at Riverbed are... SMART! It doesn't matter what department I'm working with I find myself amazed at the number of highly intelligent and creative people who are all willing to share ideas and pitch in to find a solution to a problem. The executive team doesn't hid the fact that they prioritize family which allows employees to do the same.

Cons

Still a little bit slow in creating processes to exponentially expand with our growth.

5. "Lots of smart people working together to solve real problems"

Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting place to work with a great culture. It's great to see so many smart people pulling in one direction to get the job done.

Cons

Business travel involving flights over 8 hours should qualify for business class upgrades.

Advice to Management

Please help maintain the culture. I think you guys got it right and I hope we don't stray as we get bigger.

6. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Culture, High quality people and a market-leading technology

Cons

Love to see investment into growth of the company

"Average place to work"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineers are good/smart and get things done.

Cons

Lot of good engineers have left the company and the trend continues. People leave but it's bad when they leave because their reasonable expectations are not met.
    Company tends to hire managers from outside. Company is not for you if you want to climb up the ladder and be a Manager.
    You have to commute to the other office in the Bay Area at least once a week and arrange your transportation yourself. It costs you around 80 bucks a month if you live in SF like me and use Caltrain/Muni ($13.5 Caltrain, $4 Muni + Coffee at Caltrain station) to go to Sunnyvale once a week.
    Perks/compensation are pretty mediocre for a company in the valley.
    No tuition reimbursement. If you consider growing you career by taking courses while working this is not the place for you.
    Insider trading applies to everyone even if you have no clue about the financial health of the company.

Advice to Management

Address/understand employee needs. Invest in people It's people that make or break a company.

8. "Small company flexibility at a medium-size company"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They treat their employees well, and engineers especially are given a better status than at many companies. There is a good amount of money and thought put into how to reward the employees, and the upper management takes part in company events. For engineers, Riverbed allows a great flexibility to schedules - people are judged on performance, not on hours logged.

Cons

Riverbed could use some improvement on getting all the departments in sync. This is actually a growing pain which all companies of our size must encounter. We have made a couple of acquisitions, and started a couple of new departments, and now the work just needs to be done to help all the people across those different areas share knowledge, and feel like we're all working toward the same goals.

9. "Riverbed is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is refreshing to work at a company that has good, smart, and nice people. Riverbed has taken notes from the dotcom boom and strategically applied the best practices: hire the best, pay them well, give them great benefits, then make the place cool, comfortable, and fun to work at.

Cons

It is growing so fast that it is difficult to stay nimble and responsive while maintaining the levels of quality. There is simply too much information and too much growth to keep track of everything.

Advice to Management

Keep the company culture as we grow.

"Just "ok""

Current Employee - Recruiter in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology, smart employees, better than great engineering team, excellent tech support team, and good health benefits (if important).

Cons

poor compensation, poor career path opportunities or promotion opportunities. If one is performing well in their current position they will keep them there and hire from the outside. Tend to hire from outside vs promote from within.

11. "Small Sillicon Valley startup feel with revolutionary vision and great work/ life balance"

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Alot of smart folks workign together for a common goal
    *Great work/ life split
    *Push excelling

Cons

*Need to embrace industry certification (ISO and ITIL) to help establish repeatable processes
    *Some areas are single threaded
    *No Tuition Reimbursment
    *Unless you're in California you can't elect Kaiser coverage and are stuck electing one healthcare provider
    *Career tracks need some assessing and seem a bit off kilter from the rest of the market

Advice to Management

*Broaden healthcare benefits more and allow for tuition reimbursment
    *Focus on the review and redesign of the career paths within the company. Many see no clear direction to get from point A to B.