Riverbed Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 16, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work/life balance is not super great (in 14 reviews)

• Like many companies of this size, there are some growing pains (in 24 reviews)

"On a downhill trajectory"

Former Employee - Product Management in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For a corporate job, nice perks, good work/life balance, good location.
    The technology is generally good.

Cons

Upper management is really disconnected from technical leadership. There is no direction and teams operate in silos rarely interacting with one another. The future of the company is all dependent upon the success of the SDWAN solution which started late and is trying to catch up to many competitors that are years ahead.
    New acquisitions are happening yearly or monthly frequent with superficial attention to how, or if, they will ever be properly assimilated.

Advice to Management

Replace the top layer of management with new blood who have some level of technical understanding of the products. Allow for 360 reviews of upper management by their subordinates.

"Good Products - Very Political"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good core Network Performance products with strong customer base.

Cons

Middle management in the wrong roles. Too much attachment to the past glory.

"Good Perks and Salary"

Current Employee - Performance Consultant II in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Performance Consultant II in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good perks and salary. The technology is interesting. The culture is also very good, and people are willing to help you if you have a question or problem.

Cons

Very diverse portfolio of products, and customers sometimes expect you to know it all. This can be very stressful especially if you lack the proper training on a particular product.

Advice to Management

Need to provide more training opportunities to employees.

"Great technology, no strategy"

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of excellent and interesting technology in digital experience management and cloud-ready network edge. Lots of smart, talented software and sales engineers in many technology domains. Some excellent sellers. Strong partner ecosystem.

Cons

Company strategy has not kept up with the accumulation of technical assets. Engineering time and effort is focused on rationalizing and integrating these diverse assets, but we don't have a unifying mission or direction (hint: everything we do needs either to move to the cloud or get left behind). Management seems inclined to address problems by tweaking the organization and acquiring even more new technology assets, which further amplifies the problems with focus and identity.

Advice to Management

Clarify our company strategy, focus all resources behind it, encourage in-house innovation to pursue it, and create a stable, safe, supportive environment to execute on it.

"Great product set, Great market timing BUT Uniquely unqualified sales leadership."

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

The right product set for the coming seismic shift in spending
    -EUE: Great technology, smart acquisition
    -NPM/APM- A little long in the tooth, but competitive
    -WanOp- natural flow into SDWan
    -SDWan- Late but great

Market validated by recent acquisitions by Cisco . Customers see the value in our approach.

Cons

-unbelievably inept, nepotistic sales leadership who are clearly out of their depth and lack the skills to have an effective strategy to sell into nascent high growth markets with disruptive technology.
    - No real customer-focused sales strategy. A myopic focus on the Channell Partners (particularly the SI/SP) who, more often are competitors.
    -short sighted and panic-stricken sales management, with a hysteria that sets in the end of every quarter(rapidly becoming panic-stricken at the end of every week).
    -Training our customers/partners to always wait for the end of the quarter to purchase anything.
    -Destroying the future value (and revenue) of our solutions by always going to "discounts" as a strategy.
    -NOT a meritocracy (if your FOR, then quota is irrelevant). Seems we can always find a spot for a buddy somewhere inside the company if they fail in the current job.
    -No HR oversight of anything, if there even is an HR department in Riverbed is questionable
    - Ugly signs of things to come including Stealth Layoffs, Vailed threats about numbers related layoffs in the future by Sales Executives.
    -Sales Executives are completely transaction driven to the point of hobbling future deals with short-sighted panic driven behavior.
    -Completely broken process on the back end, weeks to get quotes through a broken model
    -When/If? the wheels come off the Panic Driven sales executive management will cause even more damage ( maybe even fatal) to more than just the sales force
    -Maybe this is just a way to force attrition?

Advice to Management

Triage before its too late!
    -Sales executive leadership is not/has not been up for the job. They are largely nepotists and agents of the status quo. Sales Executive Management seems to have no discernable plan other than survival of the cabal. The Sales management's idea of "Leadership" consists of staring at secret spreadsheets and grind the sales teams. This after years of putting unqualified old friends in critical positions. Morale is bad and is going to get far worse if nothing changes very soon. People don't quit companies, they quit managers.
    - understand that its a little different this time! Cisco is fighting for their life with SDWan. This is not the same dynamics when we introduced WanOp. Back then we were a sharp stick in the eye, now we are a dagger at their throat! We need to take that into consideration and adjust the playbook accordingly.

"revenue analysis"

Former Employee - Revenue Analysis in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Revenue Analysis in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance, 401K plan,

Cons

Working during weekend sometimes.

"Contract Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with there.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Escalation Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Escalation Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Riverbed Technology (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Food, team building exercises, no micromanaging

Cons

Absolutely none worth complaining about :)

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding the individuals that work hard!

9. "Interesting Place to work ..."

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

The products are amazing and the corporate messaging is very good. APM and NPM products are products every company who invests in will benefit from.

Cons

Middle management should be individuals who have worked in sales before.

"Used to be good before the acquisition"

Former Employee - Member Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Member Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance
    Some flexibility to work from home
    People are generally nice

Cons

Management doesn't have a clear direction
    Product which was innovative a decade ago is now stagnating
    Senior people are leaving in droves. Pretty much the only ones staying are those stuck because of their H1B status.

Advice to Management

The company really, really needs to have a clear vision and communicate that to the troops.

Riverbed Technology Response

Apr 18, 2017 – VP, Recruiting and Talent

Since going private, Riverbed has exceeded all market expectations. Our quarterly revenue target numbers where hit three quarters in a row and the service expectations of our 28,000+ customers were... More