Riverbed Technology Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Apr 13, 2021

57 Comments

Tech

211.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Riverbed Technology~34920
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The people are great and this place knows how to work hard & play hard.(in 131 reviews)
  • "Good benefits like health insurance and pension contributions(in 91 reviews)
  • "The products we work on are compelling and it's possible to maintain a good work/life balance.(in 73 reviews)
  • "California offices of the company have a great culture(in 72 reviews)
  • "Great technology and cutting(in 42 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Riverbed Technology and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Was great to work for.

Mar 11, 2020 - Technical Channel Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Great people * Cool technology

Cons

* Upper management doesn't know what they are doing. Driving the company into the ground.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee

Was a great place to work at but not anymore

Apr 13, 2021 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team and skill development

Cons

Bad culture and upper management

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

No clear direction by upper management

Feb 12, 2020 - Inside Sales Representative in Sunnyvale, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay and benefits are good. Flexible schedule. There were some great and inspired people when I first joined the company.

Cons

Poor communication and messaging from upper management. I did not sense or feel any cohesiveness between departments. It felt like the Inside Sales team was on an island.

4 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great place to make an impact

Jul 10, 2016 - Technical Marketing Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employees are smart, respectful, forward thinking, and open minded. The company has lots of cash, which makes it easy to procure computer equipment, office furnishings, or travel to conferences for training. The HQ offices in San Francisco are really nice. A lot of engineers work remotely, which is a huge plus. Many engineers stay at Riverbed for 10+ years. Most of the people in upper management are really good. They communicate really well, and have a great sense of humor. I wish they were more active in social media (e.g. twitter), though.

Cons

Job satisfaction largely depends on what products you work on and whether upper management is investing in those products. The company is generally regarded as a vendor for network hardware, and their SteelHead WAN optimization product gets the most attention. Upper management tries to tell a platform story which encompasses other products besides SteelHead, but it's really a struggle to get people to notice the smaller product teams. These product teams often compete directly against other companies with 5-10x more staff and 90% more market share - which is a difficult task and can be frustrating.

2 people found this review helpful

Riverbed Technology Response

VP, Recruiting and Talent

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your honest opinion. That being said, we would like to ensure you that we will address to upper management and have already been working to improve the distribution of resources across our different product lines. Please keep in mind that SteelHead is our first product that we rolled out to the public, and continues to be our largest revenue generator. We are confident that SteelFusion and SteelCentral, along with our other products, will quickly gain the momentum that SteelHead continues to achieve and has achieved in the past. We aspire to be leaders in the industry in all three products, which would in turn allow us to have a larger market share, and more resources to compete with other companies and specifically our competitors.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Company with Great Opportunities!!

Sep 26, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

-has income/budget/revenue for improvements, headcount, growth, activities, travel, etc. -I like that the founder is the current CEO and you can see him casually walking around the office, and he is very friendly and says hello to his employees. He has been with the company since the beginning (14+ years) -work/life balance. Most managers are not minute counters and are flexible with hours and working from home. -competitive salaries -room for growth -the size of the company is not too small (not like a start-up where you are expected to do multiple roles) but not a huge massive corporation where you get lost (small fish in the big sea.) -people know each other (camaraderie) -A lot of very intelligent people who work here. -Easy to get noticed if you exceed and perform well. -Opportunity for inter-departmental transfer -Global office locations (you can relocate) -Cover 90% of benefits for employee AND dependents. -Good culture. You feel comfortable at the office around your coworkers.

Cons

-some upper management have big titles but don't do much "actual work" and have their subordinates do it. -seniority can be detrimental as there many unnecessary levels around Director/VP where efficiency is lost and hierarchy/levels could be trimmer/eliminated. -transportation reimbursement. -more 401K matching. -succession planning (or career growth path) -should provide a performance bonus or something else since they no longer offer RSP. -healthier snacks such as coconut water or unsweetened green tea.

6. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

This is not the place I joined any more.

Mar 18, 2014 - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people truly are great. There are very smart and loyal people at the company. The location in SF is great and they are about to move into a new location that will be gorgeous. The technology they have is very interesting and the potential for continued growth is there.

Cons

The company is going through huge growing pains. Acquiring OPNET at the end of 2012 was not received favorably by Wall Street and just when it seems they have gotten the acquisition under control, Elliott a private equity firm in NY takes a 10.5% hold of the company. Moral is very low and there is a huge lack of communication from upper management about what this all means. It is distracting to many employees who seem to be waiting for the other shoe to drop. If you are considering a role at the company I would definitely recommend you keep a close eye on their stock and what the media has to say. Elliott is not going away and if you want to be at a company that is growing and has great positive energy this is not the place for you.

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Riverbed is still learning how to integrate its acquisitions.

Oct 4, 2013 - Engineering in Bethesda, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Riverbed is still an innovative technology company, with world-class engineers. There is much to learn and many people to learn from. The benefits are quite good, and the environment is generally healthy and open. The company is stable and continuing to try and grow, and engineers have many opportunities for career progression.

Cons

Riverbed really didn't know what it was getting into when it acquired OPNET Technologies. It seems that upper management lacks the understanding of former OPNET's philosophy to be able to properly engage former OPNET. It seems to refuse to learn from them or really communicate with them. The message "sell more" doesn't resonate with engineers. The fact that all engineers have the same title more or less ("Member of Technical Staff") implies a lack of caring about their career progression. Decisions seems to be made more or less arbitrarily, with a lack of input from the majority of employees. There has been a lot of attrition since the acquisition.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee

A great company that cares about its customers above all else.

Mar 25, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is really focused on making customers happy, and customers tend to rave about quality & support. It's at the cusp of breaking into new markets with recent acquisitions, and it will be a fun place to be when all of the products start aligning really well together.

Cons

Riverbed has hit its adolescence. The stock price is currently down - maybe a plus if you're thinking about joining now - and is trying to figure out where to go from here. There's been some upper management turnover, which is always a little scary, but IMO they've hired in good new blood; it will just take a while for them to re-tune.

9. 1.0

R.I.P

Feb 21, 2016 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

They have good set of customers. Their old products are good which are still making money.

Cons

It had a great culture once upon a time. All is lost now. The wan optimization market is now saturated, and they do not have a clear strategy. It all started falling apart last year when it went private and laid off 10-15% of its workforce. After all this, people lost confidence and almost all the people that made the company once great left. It all happened within an year. Now they have hired too many people in a short amount of time without proper screening, to fill the vacated positions in a hurry, it seemed scary actually. Lot of people managers who do not have an much technical knowledge have sprung. Micro management and politics rule. Upper management does not care. It is hence now a place of lots of talkers and no doers. I hate to say all this, since it was one of the best places I worked, now falling apart so badly and so quickly. STAY AWAY!

18 people found this review helpful

Riverbed Technology Response

VP, Recruiting and Talent

Though Riverbed started out as the pioneer and leader in WAN optimization, we have expanded from a single-product company to a multi-product company and are now continuing to grow and expand into SD-WAN, one of the fastest growing markets in tech history, which Gartner expects to expand from 1% of enterprises today to 30% of enterprises within three years that “will use SD-WAN products in all of their branch offices.” To gauge our worldwide employee satisfaction, Riverbed conducted a confidential survey in late 2015. The full details and results were shared with our 2,000+ employees in the interest of full company transparency. In brief, the survey feedback from our active employees is that they are pleased with the company’s direction, confident in the company’s recent success, long-term future, compensation structure, and management leadership. Riverbed employees are focused on providing solutions to application, network, and branch performance problems, as part of an overall platform that provides customers with a software-defined architecture for digital transformation. Riverbed is considered “the billion dollar startup” with real revenue over $1B USD, top employee compensation and significant 2016 hiring in more than 20 countries all to meet the demands of our ever-growing customer base. We invite you to check out other Glassdoor reviews and our careers at www.riverbed.com – this is a great time to join the Riverbed team.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome place to work

Jul 14, 2014 - Inside Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Riverbed has a great work life balance, great benefits, best products in our tech space, and awesome colleagues to work with. Great and abundant professional development as well. Brand new facility in downtown SF that is spectacular.

Cons

Salaries here are on the smaller side compared to similar companies in the SF bay area. There has been some difficultly integrating some of our acquisitions but upper management is generally good.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 28 Reviews