Riverside County Department of Mental Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Clinical Therapist I in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Therapist I in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Riverside County Department of Mental Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had supportive management, decent coworkers, reasonable expectations of job assignments, flexible hours

Cons

Feel invisible in such a big 'corporation'

2. "Avoid"

Former Employee - Administrator in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Administrator in Riverside, CA

I worked at Riverside County Department of Mental Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, work-life balance, stability, laid-back

Cons

Job didn't match job description at all. Said it was one thing, turned out to be another. Skill set I had wasn't very helpful for what they were doing so I didn't really get to use my skills. I spent hours upon hours doing nothing, despite asking for work constantly for the first few months on the job. I gave up after being continually turned away. Way underpaid. People that are hired are way overqualified. They could get college interns to do the work that they have people doing with advanced degrees. They are really stifling and regimented. You get two 15 minute breaks a day and one 30 minute lunch. Other than that, you're expected to sit in silence or chained to your desk in a cave of a work area with cubicles (administrative building), lest you be yelled at. Management receives little to no training on how to manage and is very poorly qualified. Despite being really caring, wonderful people, delegation is horrible, no time management, no bigger picture, no motivational techniques or encouragement.

Advice to Management

Make sure you're up-to-date on the little training that they require of you. Seek out new opportunities for management training constantly. Think about how to motivate your team with encouragement and discussing how their tasks fit into the larger picture and have meaning and do something good. Don't be so focused on pleasing your own bosses that you sacrifice your own employees in the process. Don't give conflicting messages if you're unclear on what needs to be done. Don't impede efforts to move things forward.

3. "Clinical therapist I"

Current Employee - Clinical Therapist in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Therapist in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Riverside County Department of Mental Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, CalPERs retirement, stable job, good programs to help therapists become licensed, participate in student loan repayment programs, can transfer to different programs to prevent burn out. Get weekends and government holidays off which is always a plus

Cons

Compared to other organizations, county pass clinical therapists less money. It's difficult to change things, given it's hard to fire terrible workers due to unions and sometimes passive upper management

4. "MSW intern"

Former Employee - MSW Intern
    Former Employee - MSW Intern

I worked at Riverside County Department of Mental Health (More than a year)

Pros

Interning at RCDMH was extremely rewarding; I learned so much about the mental health field! It helped me feel confident and prepared to find work as a new grad.

Cons

The only con I can think about is the politics that interfere with your work as a social worker.

5. "MSW Student Intern with the GIFT Program"

Pros

I experience a very integrative learning environment. Allowed the student to work independently and receive supervision individually and in group form through case presentation which helped with thinking and conceptualizing how to move forward with clients. Very supportive agency.

Cons

The workload can be overwhelming as with any other agency there just are not enough workers as opposed to clients in need.

Advice to Management

Allow more positions to be filled to ensure clients are being serviced in a timely fashion.

6. "Clinical Therapist"

Former Employee - Clinical Therapist I in Indio, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Therapist I in Indio, CA

I worked at Riverside County Department of Mental Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training and wonderful employees.

Cons

One con was long shifts.

7. "Mental Health"

Current Employee - Bilingual Clinical Therapist in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Bilingual Clinical Therapist in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Riverside County Department of Mental Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have longevity with this company and enjoy training.

Cons

Income is lower than other private agencies.

Advice to Management

Valueresponsible and dependable workers. They are worth their expertise.

8. "Poor place to work"

Former Employee - MHSS
    Former Employee - MHSS

Pros

Some of the staff in the different departments are nice

Cons

This is a crazy, poorly run place. HR has no authority or power and new supervisors are given very little support to be successful. Horrible salary and benefits, not worth the sacrifice in pay.

Advice to Management

Make sure new supervisors are supported more effectively. If your administrators are firing so many new supervisors in a short period of time, there is something wrong.