Riverside Research Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Steven Omick

1. Featured Review

"Work Culture and Environment - A+"

Current Employee - Junior Physicist in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Junior Physicist in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Riverside Research Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Greatest work experience I've been exposed to. Wonderful management team has their employee's best interest at heart.

- Superb Pay
    - Fantastic Benefits
    - Helped me achieve my graduate degree - considerable tuition paid
    - Bonuses for hard work and achievements is some of the best recognition one can get.

Cons

- Transitioning into a higher paid position with a title to follow may not be achievable to most. Big stress on "may not". I'm just trying to find something relevant to the Cons box, currently this isn't a big deal to me.

Advice to Management

NA

2. "One of the Best Companies"

Current Employee - Imaging Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Imaging Scientist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Riverside Research Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Job Satisfaction
    Intelligent People
    Intuitive Business Model

Cons

Plenty of opportunity in Ohio, if you want to live there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

3. "Riverside"

Current Employee - Rardar Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Rardar Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Riverside Research Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good health and life benefits

Cons

They don't keep you around long enough to qualify for benefits

Advice to Management

Try keeping you promises

Sep 20, 2016 – Public Relations Associate

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad to know that you value our health and life benefits. We are continually trying to improve our benefits for our employees. All employees can begin taking ... More

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Great teams and collaboration. Robust benefit package. Lots of company events & eating is a great pastime

Cons

Large employee based on contracts so sometimes we lose great people. A lot of processes & systems are not fully functioning which can cause delays & frustration

Advice to Management

Continue to trust HR & work together

Aug 17, 2016 – Public Relations Associate

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to know you have a positive outlook on the company. We understand the frustration of certain processes and systems functionality, and are continuing to make ... More

6. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Research Assistantship in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Research Assistantship in Dayton, OH

Pros

The workers were quite friendly.

Cons

There is a ton of confusion and a lot of rules when doing government work, blech.

Apr 18, 2016 – Public Relations Associate

Thank you for your review. We are happy you enjoy working with your fellow colleagues. Although there are several rules to follow when performing government work, specific processes are developed so ... More

7. "Riverside Research Institute"

Former Employee - Joint Curriculum Development Project Team Lead in Arlington, VA

I worked at Riverside Research Institute (More than a year)

Pros

Solid Company that really takes care of the little guys...

Cons

There is nothing bad I can say about the company at this time. It was a great company to work for.

Apr 15, 2016 – Public Relations Associate

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are happy to hear you had a great experience working at Riverside Research.

8. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Member of the Research Staff in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Member of the Research Staff in Dayton, OH

Pros

Get to work on advanced research topics in areas of interest to the Air Force.
    Somewhat flexible work hours.

Cons

The flexibility of the job and work environment is up to the government manager in your area. In my case, my government manager is inflexible and I wasn't allowed to work from home.

Advice to Management

Stand up to government managers and support your employees more.

9. "Decent company"

Current Employee - FMV Analyst in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - FMV Analyst in Fort Bragg, NC

Pros

Decent company with good benefits. Management left me alone to do my job for the most part, but never could understand the logistics behind working shift work on an off-site location.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be a lot of room to move around within the company. They aren't very big so new opportunities or transfers are almost out of the question.

Advice to Management

Give your employees timely raises, don't wait on contracts to renew.

"Above Average Defense Contractor"

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Dayton, OH

Pros

Pay is fair and at market rate for location.

Benefits are far above what smaller companies offer in the DoD space.

Being a 501c(3) company means no knee jerk "Quarterly" thinking -- long range business planning and investment can, and does, occur.

The company has a diversified business base which allows some flexibility in new assignments. The company has won, and tries to win, long term contracts.

The company management I worked with at Riverside is the best I've had in the last 10 years.

Cons

Majority of work population is embedded at customer sites. If the customer is good and sane, you'll have a good work environment. If not, the company will listen, but can't do much.

Contracts come and go, but transition plans for when the contract ends to move good employees doesn't happen or happens in the "11th hour" and is rushed and not well coordinated.

Advice to Management

The company is getting large enough to have regional splits. Work on cross Directorate, cross office communication so employees can "ask the expert" as working embedded in customer site you're the expert and sometimes you don't have an answer but someone else in the company does.

Keep and improve the benefit packages. Salary is limited by contract vehicles so benefit packages have more importance.

Be very careful who is put in management and director positions. Having someone who is good with the client and generates contract wins and new task orders only goes so far. Handling employees is VERY important. Remember you are selling man-hours and if your people don't seem appreciated or are seen as disposable items, you'll not have dedicated, quality man-hours to offer. A downward business cycle will then occur.

11. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Pros

Very supportive environment. Company treats employees as family and works hard to make accommodations where possible. Benefits are great and there is a wide customer base, giving employees opportunities to grow. The personal touch that they offer makes this a great place to work.

Cons

It is contractor-based work, so there is always the chance of losing a contract. Luckily, Riverside works hard to ensure employees have a new job before a given contract ends.

Advice to Management

Continue using good communication to keep employees informed. Stability is key in this type of work.