Riverside USD Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Special Education Instructional Aide I"

Current Employee - Instructional Aide Special Education I in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Aide Special Education I in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Riverside USD part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work for the RUSD, at the Poly High School site an Special Education Instructional Aide I, and I have to say I love my job. I work with an assigned teacher, who is extremely kind. I have my own desk in the classroom as well as my own set of keys to the classroom and to the staff bathroom. The staff and faculty are extremely friendly and kind and make the work environment pleasant to work in. There is lots of support from the faculty and staff. I have access to a computer as well as regularly receive job opportunity notices from our union. Another pro is you learn who your union reps are very quickly.

Cons

There is really only one con and that's in the RUSD you only get paid once a month and its always at the end of the month. Meaning, you get paid on the last day of every month instead of the usual every 15th of the month. This can make budgeting tricky.

2. "RUSD is a joke for subs. Go elsewhere while you still can."

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Riverside USD part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly front desk staff at the district.

Cons

Hard to get a job. Usually treated disrespectfully because you're "just a sub". If you make a mistake, there is no forgiveness, you're just banned from the site, no questions asked.
    Had a problem with a long term assignment last school year, and received no back up from my personal boss. I was verbally assaulted by the principal, and when I spoke up about it, nothing was done because, "she is the principal, and it's her word over yours." Been trying to get a new job within the District out of hopes that they would see my commitment, but, every time you apply expect a huge turn out for 1 position. (Which they usually already have someone in mind to fill to begin with) Oh! And the interview process requires 1-2 tests, and several interviews... along with the 70 other people who applied.
    No benefits for subs.
    No chance to make a pay raise for being there without you having to personally buy a higher certificate to prove yourself, even if you've been there for several years.
    Unclear policies for subs as you reach long term assignments.
    Horrible procedures to receive access to grades and attendance for long term assignments.
    Not willing to give subs access to computers or logins for long term assignments.
    Used and abused during assignments; you're required to go into the office and do someone else's job for them while they go out for extra special long lunches... and you're conference time for grading or finishing your own work is squashed.
    Also, they have SO many subs, that it's hard to even get a sub job if you're not a favorite. Thankfully, I'm a favorite at some sites, but it was not easy kissing all those butts to get here. And most of those people have left because they don't like working for the district anymore. Seems like at many of the sites, people are dropping off all the time because policies have become so tedious and no one wants to be there. So, when you make connections at a site, don't expect that to last very long.

Advice to Management

Treat substitutes like you would treat any other teacher within the district. Offer benefits. Maybe not hire so many people that we can actually accept jobs every once in a while.

3. "Middle School Teacher"

Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Riverside USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice work environment and salary.

Cons

Very low level of students in some areas of Riverside.

4. "Good Experience"

I worked at Riverside USD full-time

Pros

Positive attitude by management

Cons

The usual beauracy of a school dist

5. "teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Riverside, CA

I worked at Riverside USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good stable educational district, conservative,

Cons

administrative philosophy needs improvement

Advice to Management

If it was not for the teachers, the district would not have any income

6. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Great environment with great people.

Cons

Politics got in the way some times as it does with a lot of places.

7. "Head custodian"

Current Employee - Plant Supervisor in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Plant Supervisor in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Riverside USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and salary with great retirement plan

Cons

short handed, small district with very few departments to promote to.

8. "Disappointing experience."

Pros

Lots of time off, holidays, etc., although you have to wait 6 months for vacation accrual.

Cons

Lots of cliques and favoritism. Very old school procedures. They could use an upgrade in technology. Communication can also use improvement. Many of the employees have been there for years and are not open to change and are extremely set in their ways. I was so excited when I was initially hired and was quickly let down.

Advice to Management

Get to know employees, no matter what level they are. It's especially hard if you are new to the district. A "team environment" is promoted although some managers appear to have their favorites and ignore the rest.

9. "noon ground supervisor"

Current Employee - Noon Ground Supervisor in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Noon Ground Supervisor in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Riverside USD (More than a year)

Pros

I love to be able to help the kids learn something new and seeing them smile makes my heart melt

Cons

the only down side of working with the kids is when I have to put them on time out for throwing or hitting other students. I do not like to see the kids cry or get in trouble.

Advice to Management

i have no advice to management other than keep up the good work

10. "Sub"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

I worked at Riverside USD (More than a year)

Pros

Really enjoyed my time there. they did a good job making employees enjoy their work and look forward to each day

Cons

there was not always jobs available and sometimes you were not able to work or had to do work that you were not accustom too

Advice to Management

get jobs out sooner