Riverwind Casino Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great place to work but not advance"

Former Employee - Director in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Director in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Riverwind Casino (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great managers at the hotel.
    They will work with your schedule.
    Fun environment if you like meeting new people.

Cons

Corporate is filled with people looking out for they friends. If you don't have a connection that goes beyond the hotel with someone on the corporate level you will not move up within the hotel.

Advice to Management

Promote on merit not friendships.

2. "Eh it's a good living"

I have been working at Riverwind Casino part-time

Pros

You can make a good living here and if your position qualifies you for insurance then it's amazing.

Cons

You're treated like a number. Told constantly that you can be replaced. Expected to show up sick or else incur point deductions. The rules change often. Management rules with an iron fist. It's super easy to be punished for little things and never praised for good work.

Advice to Management

Take time to know your employees. We are not cattle. We are humans. We deserve to be praised when we do a job well done. Don't just sit in your office or walk the floor looking down on us. We are the ones that provide the backbone of the facility.

3. "Fun atmosphere"

Current Employee - Blackjack Dealer in Riverwind, SC
    Current Employee - Blackjack Dealer in Riverwind, SC

I have been working at Riverwind Casino full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They offer pretty good benefits and good pay for full timers. It is also easy and fun most of the time.

Cons

After a while the weekends and holidays gets kinda old especially if you have a family. And the upper management isn't helpful at all.

Advice to Management

Communication is key!

5. "Life sucker! And miserable!"

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer

I worked at Riverwind Casino full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tips were good for a time but went way down hill. And the benefits are good.

Cons

This is easy review if you love second hand smoke, working nights and weekends and holidays. Never seeing your family and friends and missing out on life in general. Being called names every night by angry customers then this job is for you!!

Advice to Management

The upper management isn't even worth my time to give them advice they know they have no experience running that place. It's all who you are not what you know.

6. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Black Jack Dealer/Floor Manager in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Black Jack Dealer/Floor Manager in Norman, OK

I worked at Riverwind Casino part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Scheduling for a college student was a huge help in allowing me to obtain my college degree and maintain a steady income. The benefits are good if you are full-time. They also match 5% to your 401k which was nice. As a table games dealer the income was also very good for a part-time employee.

Cons

The overnight shift put a lot of stress on having time for friends and family. Also always having to work holidays, but this is something you have to expect when working in the gaming industry. The most annoying part of the job, were the constant meetings and health and wellness goals every month that made it very difficult to maintain my school schedule. A lot of the meetings were mandatory and you would be written up for not showing up for them on your days off. I did not show up to a lot of them because my education was more important to me than the meetings.

Advice to Management

My management staff was amazing. They understood I was trying to work nearly 40 hours per week while continuing my education full time. They went out of their way to make sure I was able to do so. Keep up the good work, and always remember that everybody is trying to make it and be happy!

"Good Benefits, Bad Upper Management"

Former Employee - Manager in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Manager in Norman, OK

I worked at Riverwind Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits. The insurance was incredible when I was there (although I heard they changed it and are charging more to employees now). Vacation and sick leave was nice. It was also a fun job most of the time.

Cons

Rules change all the time and most of the time upper management doesn't relay the information. As for the upper management, most of them don't care about the employees at all. Some are good, but the majority of the ones on site all the time make work miserable when they are there.

Advice to Management

Being better people and treating employees with more respect would go a long way to improve loyalty to the company and better experiences for the customers as well. At least pretend like you care.

8. "A short title for my review"

Pros

there are great benefits. Good pay. Good opportunity for raises. A lot of unexpected perks from other companies and stuff.

Cons

sometimes has a high school feel. not much support in smaller departments. a lot of issues go unresolved it seems

Advice to Management

remember the little guys. care about whats going on in our world and remember names sometimes. it would be nice to be recognized by someone i have seen almost daily for almost two years

9. "No appreciation"

Pros

There are some really good people that work here but everyone's attitude is ultimately driven by whether the GM is in a good mood or not.

Cons

This is not the kind of place you want to work if you ever want to make a difference or leave feeling like you've accomplished something. You are only worth as much as you directly make for the casino.

Advice to Management

Quit

10. "HR"

I have been working at Riverwind Casino (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good management team at casino.

Cons

Too much politics from corporate office. Rules different depending connections. Upper management can lie degrade employees with no consequences.

11. "Excellent Coworkers, benefits dropping, poor upper management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK

Pros

The pay is good when compared to the same job with other companies. Matched 401K plan up to 5%. There are lots of opportunities to learn additional skills to use in the workplace. Advancement opportunities are definitely available for those that apply themselves (though non-natives may have to apply more frequently. The company is not private about native preference, so you know what the score is from day one). The company encourages growth, both personally and professionally. Wonderful, wonderful coworkers!

Cons

It is nearly impossible to have a personal/family life unless you have been with the company for 8 years to "earn" the better shifts. No health insurance if you work less than 38 hours a week and most positions are now hiring at 29 hours or less. Upper management does a poor job of communicating expectations to entry level employees. "Motivation" often comes across as browbeating and trying to force human beings to be robots. Many supervisors have not been trained to properly deal with the people under them.

Advice to Management

Morale is absolutely terrible among the staff, especially on an entry level. If you want to see your employees step up their game, set the example! More than anything, talk to your people like humans and set realistic expectations. We can't provide a fun, entertaining atmosphere that drives our business with morale being so low.