KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 610 of over 694 reviews

3.8
Rivian CEO R.J. Scaringe
R.J. Scaringe

What people are saying about Rivian

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Rivian and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Exciting and Innovative

May 17, 2022 - Associate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Rivian really prides itself on culture and it shows. It is such an exiting and innovative company to work for where I feel valued, appreciated and that I am making a contribution to the greater goal - of keeping the world adventurous forever. The product is second to none and I feel very fortunate that I get to be a part of growing this company. RJ (CEO) is also fantastic - one of the most relatable and transparent leaders I've seen in a long time. That sentiment applies to most, if not all, of the senior leadership that I've interacted with and I feel like that is a rare experience nowadays.

Cons

As with any rapidly scaling company - communication could be better at times.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0

A great place to work

Sep 14, 2022 - Maintenance Technician in Normal, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Rivian is a great place to work because they are focused on employees. They make sure you have the tools and skills to do the job you are required to do

Cons

I can not think of any cons.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Culture, Mission and Products , Sloppy Execution - Big problem with lousy middle management!

Sep 21, 2022 - Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Culture, Great Products, Great Mission, Great Vision, Great CEO. Overall a fun company with lots of potential for company growth!

Cons

Major problems with middle managers placing their self interest over that of the company and the mission. Major problems with gaining visibility for your hard work and contributions. Absolutely zero emphasis on career growth and development. Leaders are definitely playing favorites, especially in the facility organization. Strategy changes way to frequently, making it difficult to make progress and you will get penalized or laid off if you don't make progress even if its the result of other teams upstream.

5 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Repetitive work but good time off... for now?

Sep 2, 2022 - Team Member in Normal, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Good pay for central Illinois. Night shift makes an additional $1.25 an hour, making it a total of 21.25 an hour. - Some free snacks and soda available - Vested shares for employees - For my schedule, I am on a 4/3 rotation. So I work S/M/T and then have four days off, followed by working S/M/T/W with three days off, so every other week is a long weekend. - When I joined, employees were immediately granted 80 hours of personal, sick and safety leave, though this has now changed.

Cons

- Long shifts of repetitive work, but they have started to allow music now on the floor as long as it is not too loud or has "questionable or offensive lyrics" - Company has quarterly shutdowns for inventory, so this can affect hours for production members. Some people can lose a few days of work. - Maybe I have just had bad luck, but I have had difficulty advancing to higher leadership or technical roles, even with a Bachelors Degree. There may be a bit of favoritism for advancement.

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome company, great people, amazing product

Sep 9, 2022 - Vehicle Operations Specialist in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The amount of support in everything you need is amazing, 8 free therapy sessions a year, great benefits, work life balance, great co workers, and an amazing product.

Cons

As a start up the job role changed multiple times while employed for every department. As a vehicle operations specialist I was told at hire that I was going to be doing a lot of paper work for customers and moving cars frequently to be able to assist the delivery team. I was told that I would very rarely ever have to work on the weekends. I was also asked if I wouldn’t mind having to do minor touch ups to vehicles before they were delivered to make sure they got a clean car. - the role now is strictly quality control where you accept a vehicle from a hauler, inspect it for damages, let the service department look it over and manually wash the entire vehicle. VOPS no longer even handles the paper work so it essentially is a glorified car wash role.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Upper management disconnected from culture.

Sep 29, 2022 - Sr Manager Software Engineering in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great product, collaborative teams, and a clear mission. Working with open and intelligent people who generally want to work together to get things done.

Cons

Director level and above and especially the C-Suite is completely disconnected from reality. The discussion and implementation of values only applies to some which is evident in the mistakes that the execs have made over and over again. The same people seem to have the ear of RJ and continue to provide poor advice; whether that was around price changes, lay-offs, or changes to product offerings. Each major decision has been a major disaster that shows a clear lack of strategic vision and a general disconnect from reality. Coupled with no accountability, the only people who suffer are those who actually do (or now did) the work.

7. 2.0

Company culture

Sep 26, 2022 - Senior Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

You have an option to work remotely

Cons

Company is going all different directions Multiple teams working on silo and similar projects No room for growth Encourages bro culture The CEO is a genuine person who cares and thinks good for the company. You can see his passion. But they have some execs who clearly don't know what they are doing and think laying off is the best option for all the bad decisions they made. They do not care about their employees and encourages bad work culture. They usually low ball you and trick you into thinking stocks will eventually help once it goes up ( sadly it has gone downhill since its ipo). There is no job stability nor room for personal growth, so think multiple times before you decide to leave your current job. If you have different offers, I'd suggest you really re-think your choices

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0

Dont work here

Oct 1, 2022 - Team Member
    Business Outlook

Pros

Only thing positive os benefits

Cons

I have been working there for 2 months. It is the worst job i have ever had. There is rampant sexual harrasment. The area i work has racism. 60 hours a week for 20 dollars an hr. You havr to acrrue all time off even though they told you that you get 80 of each fr the start. Management does everything they tell you not to. They constantly run out of parts. They will make you stand there for hours knowimg they womt have parts beforw shift is over. But they want to scold for scrap whem they pay out more in wasted labor hours. Unorganized chaos... came for a promise of somethimg different. But really just they same corporate america bull

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Brilliant workplace for engineering because new ideas are encouraged

Sep 29, 2022 - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Things move really fast so you can innovate if something is broken or doesn’t work Everyone is really passionate about the products Rivian sells Leadership in software is really good

Cons

Low uncompetitive salaries Bro culture No diversity

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

HR is a Terror Here

Jun 29, 2022 - Sr. Manager, Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you want to work hard and like freedom and you are a self starter, work with smart people and cutting edge tech, generally a good place to be.

Cons

Group by group, you could have a great team and manager or work in a toxic env. The company has just been stumbling over and over at the executive and management levels and burning a lot of cash. - I am a very high performer and built and led a high performing team in an innovative group, but HR is ruthless regarding issues - It’s gonna be a long ramp to profitability, don’t expect that stock price to move much anytime soon - Leadership coaching is sub par and zero tolerance for issues - Disorganized executive management working with less and less - Layoffs coming, inevitable, my own opinion - Lots of shifts in focus and hiring, had to get reapprovals 4 times in a year for open roles and ultimately hiring is now mostly frozen - The company just doesn’t have the resources to recover from the push for prod launch and now with the difficult financial env, not looking good - I was there almost 2 years, it’s just a grind now with a tightening of the belt - Incredibly disorganized production assembly line, constant reorganizations - Tons of leadership reorganizations across the company - I resigned after wrestling with HR and feeling demoralized by the lack of support

12 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 610 Reviews

Rivian Reviews FAQs

Rivian has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 694 reviews left anonymously by employees. 67% of employees would recommend working at Rivian to a friend and 61% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -11% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Rivian employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Rivian. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

67% of Rivian employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Rivian 3.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Rivian to be career development, senior leadership, benefits and the cons to be workplace, management, work life balance.

Popular Careers with Rivian Job Seekers