Roadrunner Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Ryan Broyles

1. "Good"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Paul, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Paul, VA

Pros

They like to promote from within the company. If you want to future yourself professionally you will have the chance.

Cons

They do not allow the store to have the hours that they actually need. They don't understand that you need more than 1 person working a shift they actually want stuff finished correctly.

Advice to Management

Allow your people the resources that they actually need.

2. "Unfair pay"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bristol, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bristol, VA

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are needing hours they are plenty to get ..

Cons

They want to work you but not pay you fairly for the work you do

Advice to Management

Treat your hourly employees better ! They are the ones who run the store

"Worst run company EVER"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Regulars make your day

Cons

Absolutely the most stressful job. Managers work 7 days a week, sometimes 16 hour days for months on end with no break, pay is atrocious and there is no real training available. This company is so money hungry that they'd rather fire people who want a demotion than work with their employees. I had customers telling me if you become a floating AM, you'll be fired. Overall, overworked and underpaid is the motto here. And forget getting Christmas or any other holiday off.

Advice to Management

Need to revamp your management from the top down. Invest in your employees and they'll invest in you. For God's sakes, give these poor store managers a day off! They work harder than anyone in corporate ever has!

5. "Loved Working at RR, Overall a Great Work Envoirnment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Asheville, NC

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was very surprised at some of the reviews on here, the RR I worked for was great. I suppose it differs for some depending on where your located and how the store manager treats you. Your past employment in comparison would make a difference to. I was fairly happy working here. They started me out a little above minimum wage and were always consistent with reviews and raises. The majority of customers were pleasant, a few of them would get highly upset about the "ID for ALCOHOL" policy but it seemed like RR always had your back. I was satisfied with getting a 40 hour work week as full-time jobs are often hard to come by. I never minded the overtime or the time and a half on holidays. Yes, it was not ideal to have to work Christmas and Thanksgiving but for me personally, I didn't mind. I would agree that there are not many employees to any one store, you are almost always by yourself even on third shift. I never felt overwhelmed or thought the store was busy enough to require somebody at my side. They had a lot of strict policies but I never questioned why or what for, most of them made sense including safe drops and I was actually quite happy about the "ID EVERYONE" policy because it helped protect my job and keep me from selling to minors. Yes it isn't the career of your dreams but for a lower income job, I'd say it was a pretty great place to work.

Cons

Disappointments were far and few. The only thing I would change is to maybe have two people working third shift, mostly for safety concerns but also that way the store is completely spotless and well stocked for the next day. Give your store managers at least one day off per week, it seemed like the store manager at the RR I worked for never had a day off. Instead of hiring new store managers and assistant managers, hire within and give your current employees the chance to grow. Only other downside was the jackets RR provided for wearing while working in the cooler, they aren't warm enough.

Advice to Management

Coffee and Fountain drinks should be free. Your friendly smiling cashiers are the reason you have regulars and the reason customers keep coming back tomorrow, they in the very least deserve some soda when they want or need be. A store discount for all employees would be nice. And a Christmas bonus, even just a $20 fuel card. I never got one even though I worked Christmas day and every other holiday. It just shows that you appreciate them and all their hard work, the effort they put in all year long raising money for your charities, ect..

6. "Greedy and unconventionally non understanding."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erwin, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erwin, TN

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My manager was the best part, he was always lenient with time off scheduling, and the customers are very nice most of the time as well. Most vendors were very friendly and would stop and have conversations with you after putting up stock, the co-workers kept you in good company when you would work with them. You do have a chance for promotions up to store manager and all in all the company promotes growth not only personally but professionally.

Cons

Anything above regular store manager basically leaves you to rot, the same with the poor manager you are left with. Most of them work seven days a week for months at a time and only get an assistant manager for maybe four months and even then that is pushing it. Also the company does not give major holidays off and has no consideration of any workers with families. You are lucky to get a raise but they will not hesitate to transfer you to another store even without your consent, all in all the company as a whole is fairly greedy and does not care one bit about anything other than its money intake.

"Worked 7 days a week for a long time."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the employees there are very friendly to other employees. They help out the Managers sometimes when needed but expect alot of out them in return.

Cons

Worked many 7 days a week and sometimes up to 15 hours in a single day. Luckily being only in a 18 hour store so I didn't have to worry about working a triple when no one would come into work.

Advice to Management

Don't expect so much from the store managers. I have had to work for weeks at a time without a day off. A human body can only endure it for so long before it becomes a physical challenge just getting up and going into work.

"challenging"

Former Employee - Management in Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Management in Johnson City, TN

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Satisfying customers is the best reason to work at the store

Cons

No support from upper management and poor management skills,

Advice to Management

District managers should do drop in safe counts at least once a week

9. "Better then fast food"

Current Employee - Cashier in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Annual pay raise and if your lucky a full 40 hr work week. This company use to be better but are slowly becoming more money hungry.

Cons

Always by yourself And expected to clean and stock store top to bottom every shift even if your by yourself.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and offer bonuses and rewards that would actually motivate someone that means don't ask me to bother every customer over something so I might get a $10 gift card

10. "Led me on."

Former Employee - Cashier in Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Johnson City, TN

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job provided full time work in an economy where most employers are only offering part time. I became friends with quite a few of the regulars, and most of the customers weren't too hard to deal with. I've worked at a few different gas stations, and being a clerk puts you in a great environment that can allow you network and interact with customers that could turn into potential employers. I had quite a few job offers from managers of other businesses who witnessed and valued my politeness and hard work, and in turn were willing to pay me more to come work for them instead.

They also donate to lots of charities in the tri cities just for the sake of the community. Lots of donations are done anonymously.

Cons

Pay was terrible. Its enough to survive on, but survive is all you can do with it. Sometimes I felt like they would have paid me less than they did if it wasn't illegal.

Frequently understaffed. It's a common theme in convenience stores, but RR is so much so that it sometimes appeared as if they were doing it on purpose. Some stores would only be allowed less than 200 hours of labor, and had only 4 or 5 employees to run a 24 hour store.This means that most employees work alone during their entire shift. Even if you're the hardest worker there ever was, one person can only handle so many things at once. If stuff starts hitting the fan, you have to take care of it alone.

Getting sick could potentially cost you your job, because there is no room for sick days. Calling in would typically mean the person who you were supposed to be relieving has to work a 16 hour shift rather than an 8 hour shift. They are open 24/7/365, so most employees should expect to give up either Christmas or Thanksgiving.

I was hired with the assumption that I was being offered an Assitant Manager position, and was told that I would undergo a month or so of training and then become the new AM. After every month or so, our DM would talk with me to make sure I was still on board with the idea, and let me know they were just trying to work some things out on their end first and they hadn't forgotten about me. Meanwhile, our store manager was working for months on end without a day off because there was no one available to take over her responsibilities for even a day. After about 6 or 7 months of toying with me, they gave the job to an outside hire and never brought it up to me again. When I asked why, I was given the run around and people started playing the blame game over who ultimately made the decision. I was never given any indecation that my performance had been anything less than what they had expected from me.

Advice to Management

You're one of the most profitible businesses in the southeast, and you're headquatered in Johnson City. Stop pretending like you can't afford to treat your employees fairly. Pay them a fair wage and hire enough employees to get the job done right. At the very least, close earlier on Thanksgiving and Christmas, because your money is not more important than your employees time with their families. Without your employees, your business is doomed.

11. "Nightmare to work for , BOTTOM FEEDERS!!!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Asheville, NC

I worked at Roadrunner Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any at this time

Cons

managers work months on end without any time off, 12, 16 ,even 24 hours a day straight. Any inventory shortages are blamed on employees ,doesn't matter if things don't scan right, you and all employees are stealing. They are too money hungry to ever close, They buy stores in bad neighborhoods such as the one on merrimon ave in Asheville and refuse to let you have any help to run them. If the owner or his son or president of the company are coming you are suppose to smile and act like everything is wonderful and your store is suppose to be spotless.
      Notice how high the food prices are? They laugh about how they make so much money off off people using ebt. They can't keep help because of all these things. You better believe you will be working all holidays while they are home with their families. They also cut starting pay
    for clerks in 2010 because the economy was bad and they knew people were desperate for work ,but they didn't bother to tell the managers in n.c. They will fire you if you have low sales on your shift. They have lost several unemployment cases and have had to pay. you probably won't post this but it's true. Most stores allow employees to have a cup of coffee or fountain drink but you can't even have a free refill at roadrunner.

Advice to Management

Allow managers to hire enough help to run their stores. Give employees time off to be with their families and pay a decent wage.