Roanoke City Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Rita Bishop

1. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Roanoke City Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with a very diverse population. If you can work here, you can work anywhere.

Cons

Very challenging student population.

Advice to Management

More resources and support is needed at times... we are all trying as hard as we can.

2. "Tough district to work for"

Former Employee - School Counselor in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - School Counselor in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Roanoke City Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great co-workers. Good kids that really need help and support means a chance to really make a difference. Good pay and great benefits. School schedule and breaks are awesome. Good athletics programs. Really smart kids in the AP/DE program.

Cons

Roanoke city schools only care about the graduation rate instead of making sure students learn and are prepared for the real world. Students are not held accountable dor their actions because to do so would mean they would fail classes and not graduate. Administration is non-supportive because they're too afraid of getting punished by central office. Central office caves to whatever parents want because they don't want to be sued or in the news again. Fights happen almost daily in the high school and the entire atmosphere is negatively charged. Students who really need to learn technical skills are not allowed to take the technical classes because their grades arent good enough or they have some behavior issues. These kids need to learn job skills and they arent even given the chance.

Advice to Management

Need a new superintendent who cares about more than the graduation rate. Hold students accountable and teach them responsibility. Support your staff when they are trying to do those things.

3. "Challenging environment"

Former Employee - School Educator in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - School Educator in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Roanoke City Public Schools (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture of Roanoke City is on the rise. The school system as a whole is at the forefront of a lot of the challenging issues in our area and is really trying to make a difference in the lives of our now thriving community. If you can learn to work in this school system and survive, you can work anywhere!

Cons

The current Superintendent is trying very hard to do the right thing for our community, but her style of leadership has caused a large amount of turnover in a very short period of time. For the amount of time and energy that you will put in, you are not as well compensated as in other surrounding districts.

Advice to Management

The current condition of the school system means there are immediate needs that must be met, but help your staff out by being more supportive and giving stronger levels of guidance/support.

5. "Activity Assistant"

Former Employee - Activity Assistant in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Activity Assistant in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Roanoke City Public Schools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The children's progress and joy are worth their attitudes.

Cons

The administration (downtown) offered little to no support and resulted in multiple newspaper headlines.

Advice to Management

Remember that the children's best interest should always be first over any personal grievances.

6. "High School Teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Roanoke City Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The job is never mundane or boring. The work is rewarding yet challenging. Staff are genuinely concerned about the students and what is best for them. The work schedule is a plus with winter/spring breaks and summers off.

Cons

Inconsistencies in management at this level because the schools are so large. There are many, many hours of preparation work to be done on your own time.

"Not good for long term"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Pros

Diversity, School Admin., well-educated, creative, and professional faculty

Cons

Stress, work load, disrespected by students and Central Admin., lack of student discipline

Advice to Management

Appreciate the seasoned professionals on staff and utilize them

8. "Leadership must go"

Former Employee - Teacher in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Roanoke City Public Schools full-time

Pros

Teachers who work themselves to death trying to inspire and teach children while receiving no raises or encouragement from a top-heavy central office.

Cons

nteresting to read the similarities of problems that people see with RCPS. I know many folks in central office and worked with RCPS for over 20 years. Always loved the folks I worked with, but it's the same story you see threading through all the comments. The leader of central office is mercurial. When you are "in" with her, she showers you with affection. When you are on the "outs" with her (and you never know why that might occur) she ignores you, takes all job-related power away from the individual,and tells subordinates of that individual not to expect that person to come to their building of review them. It is disgusting. This type of management style has been allowed to fester in RCPS for at least the last 10 years, and no one, absolutely no one on the school board does anything. Someone in central office must have some damning information on those who could do something and that is why nothing changes. Is this superintendent competent? Also, how does she refer to "people of color" when they are not in her presence? The principal who got fired at William Fleming a few years back is only the tip of the iceberg, but from where I sit things are never going to change in RCPS. It is a backwards organization. Another interesting thing to note is that there are few in high positions at RCPS who have never, ever set foot into a classroom as a teacher. Never once!

Advice to Management

You have got to clean out central office. Promote people from within who know the reality of what has been going on. RCPS has many talented mid-level administrators who would be wonderful!

"A comprehensive review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Roanoke City Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people to work with in the lower levels of the organization. On the surface, employment there may seem very appealing. There are also a lot of opportunities for someone with little morals to further their career by playing political games.

Cons

Sadly, this is the most corrupt organization that I have ever seen. Merit means nothing as everything at RCPS is driven by politics... so do not be surprised when they choose the inefficient, ignorant, or just flat out morally wrong way to do something. If you are not willing to play the "game", so to speak, you will see the less qualified promoted far above the qualified. You will see incompetent and lazy workers never be reprimanded because they have dirt on someone in charge. If you have any responsibility at all, you will inevitably be pressured or coerced into doing the wrong thing and then, you're either part of the game or on your way out. Don't think that you can just do your job and hide, either. This corruption exists throughout every level of the organization. They will also try to cull any opposition through intimidation, outright screaming matches, and fear.

Advice to Management

End the corruption now. If the people of our good City of Roanoke knew what really happens at RCPS, they would immediately run Rita Bishop out of town. You have the resources to complete your mission to educate students if you would focus on doing the RIGHT thing and clean up the inefficiencies as opposed to doing whatever makes Rita Bishop look good.

"Work harder not smarter"

Current Employee - Teacher in Roanoke, VA

Pros

A lot of wonderful and amazing teachers work in Roanoke City. The students in most schools are wonderful to work with. A few schools do have major behavior issues.

Cons

RCPS likes to have "required meetings" after school. Expect to have a weekly staff meeting that will last 2 hours or more, content meetings that last for 3 hours, and cluster meetings. Meetings are often a huge mess! They are very unorganized and you will often leave with more questions than answers.

Administrators in some schools such as RAMS will not back up teachers. Expect to get very little support and to have administrators that really have no idea what it is like to teach.

You will get students that are extremely below grade level and you will be expected to have them pass SOL test. If your students do not pass SOLs then expect to be asked to not return. You will be told to give up planning time and to stay after school to work with students on SOL skills.

Students and teachers basic rights are often violated but central administration turns a blind eye to the issues in the schools. If you speak out or complain expect to be asked to not return.

I have worked in 2 other school systems and RCPS is by far the worst I have ever worked in.

Advice to Management

If I could run RCPS I would start by replacing upper management. RCPS has the potential to be a great school system but is really lacking good leadership. People that truly care about the students and staff needs to be in charge.

"Mathematics Teacher"

Former Employee - Mathematics Teacher in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Mathematics Teacher in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Roanoke City Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Roanoke City is a great school system to start a teaching career. In my first year there, I was a member of a team of teachers who worked together to create lessons and assignments. In my second year, I was exposed to working with a cooperating teacher in Special Education classes.

Cons

Central office staff is not a teacher's best friend. Before I decided to leave, I had a meeting where I was told flat out that if a certain percentage of my students did not pass the end of year test, then it would be "very closely looked at" as to whether I would continue to be employed. All of that after shoving students into classes they are not prepared for.

Advice to Management

Support your teachers - they work hard and get little to no credit.