Roaring Fork Reviews | Glassdoor

Roaring Fork Reviews

3.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Roaring fork is a great place to work. What's with Vance man. Growing company that's very stable."

Pros

Advancement, opportunity for personal and professional growth, fun environment, good coworkers, above average benefits. I feel treated fairly. Free food and paid downtown parking. Flexible work hours.

Cons

Sometimes having an office downtown can be a little hectic with Milwaukee traffic. Other than that count me as a very happy employee.

Advice to Management

Keep growing - keep rewarding your employees. I love the awards and recognition. Keep programs like that in place.

"Illusions of Grandeur"

I worked at Roaring Fork full-time

Pros

Free Qdoba food. Some good coworkers. Most are gone now though

Cons

I was told when I was hired that I could have a free Qdoba meal every day. A lot of the time someone would run out and get it for the whole office, but in my view, a way to make sure everyone works through their lunch hour (salaried). Some employees were too scared to ever take a lunch and are over worked. As well, a couple years in, I was told to not take lunch everyday because the company was over budget on corporate employee meals. They tell everyone they can have a free meal every day, don't budget for it, and then strongly urge their employee to stop partaking in one of the few perks at this company. We we never told we couldn't but had multiple times we were talked about it.

Everyone is overworked. The higher ups preach how they are transparent, but frequently hide and disguise why employees are leaving so frequently. The funny thing is pretty much everyone knows when people are leaving and exactly why, but management believes it is all still hush hush.

There is nowhere to move up. You are told there is great room for advancement and the company is growing. There is almost nowhere to advance, and any extra money seems to go into the CEO/President's pocket.

I was frequently asked to do things completely outside of my scope of work and job description. Because I completed these tasks adequately, those things became part of my job description. More and more was added on to my plate and compensation only seems to come at times of desperation when trying to keep good workers, both at the store level and corporate level.

Upper management seems to believe because they sell Qdoba products, they are as good as Qdoba. Not true, long ways to go and they are not what they believe to be.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking Roaring Fork is the greatest place on earth. While I worked there, everyone complained about working there. Encourage employees to take an actual break for lunch, instead of being so scared to even take 15 minutes to use the bathroom. The hard work wouldn't be bad except for the soul draining aspect of the environment. I know the restaurant business is fast paced and sometimes hard to handle, but don't use that as an excuse to not try and make things better.

"Corporate Greed and Egos"

I worked at Roaring Fork full-time

Pros

If free food and a fun office location are your top deciding factors, then this is the place for you. If anything else matters to you (culture, community, growth opportunities, salary, benefits, leadership, mentorship, values, etc.), then do not waste your time with an application.

Cons

Greed, egos and deception flurry the walls of Roaring Fork. They want you to think that there's an "all in this together" mentality. But in reality, it's "we're all in this for me." Your personal growth and development do not mean anything. As an employee, you are a body to do the job and everyone is viewed as replaceable. You will see very little praise or reward for your hard work. Your long hours and dedication are all to help fund vacations for upper management. Speaking of vacations, good luck ever taking one. Their PTO policy is the worst I have ever seen. Five days in the first year, and 10 after that. Cross your fingers that you don't get sick!

After a deeper dive into the culture, it's no wonder why their front door is a revolving door. The average tenure of a restaurant employee is likely less than 6 months, and less than a year for a corporate employee.

The only thing Roaring Fork has going for them is their franchise agreement with Qdoba. Qdoba Corporate is well run and has a solid management team. That is shown through the quality products sold in the restaurants. But where you see Roaring Fork's influence is in the poor service provided to the customer.

If I could give 0 stars, I would. I would never recommend anyone to work for Roaring Fork -- at the restaurant level or the corporate level. Do not be fooled by the "cool" vibe of Qdoba. Roaring Fork is anything but "cool."

Advice to Management

Your employees should be your most valued assets, but when they are leaving at the current rapid rate, you should consider taking a look from the outside in. If one or two people leave, it's probably their problem. But when your turnover rate is as high as your is, it's hard not to assume that it's an internal problem. What can you do differently as a company and management team?

"Hourly Manager"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Roaring Fork full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with people
    Fun Atmosphere
    Company growth

Cons

Work to pay ratio is the worst I have ever had.
    Working off the clock due to oppressive overtime policies.

Advice to Management

Pay more or work your employees less. We are working way to hard for a McWage

"Good team environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Roaring Fork full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My peers were amazing. Everyone worked hard, and tried to help across departments as needed. The holiday parties were also great.

Cons

3/4 office management is a clique. If you aren't good with one of them, they all treat you like garbage. Very little openness with office news.

Advice to Management

You had us roll burritos to remember the bottom line. You all need to remember the middle line - your department staff helps you run things smooth. You don't know what you have until it's gone and you have to hire sub par staff.

"Finanace"

I have been working at Roaring Fork full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company with exponential growth, ability to let you learn new things in many different areas. Management is amazing and there are some amazing mentors here. Real expectations and everyone is helpful and willing to help you meet any and all of your goals.

Cons

Pay is on the low side, but isnt terrible. Employee a bit under appreciated, but not as bad as most places. They do nice thing here, like parties, celebrations, bring in food. There is a work hard mentality here- you need to be here 24/7 and work like a dog. Which is something ok, but there is not much of a work like balance here. If you have no family and are willing to work work work, you can really go far here and learn a ton of new things. If you have a family, this could be an issue.

"Not good company to work for."

Pros

The job itself is easy as long as you are able to devolp a good TEAM.

Cons

CEO is rude to the employes (he was always nice to me). It is obvious he only cares about his money- not even the customers.

Advice to Management

This isn't directed to CEO, not management. As I stated in a meeting : increase wages and you will be able to get the better quality employees interested in being with the company. The smart and hardworking will not work for minimum wage / low salary for management.

"Fun people, just another restaurant job."

I worked at Roaring Fork part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people who generally like to work there and come in when they are not working for food and drinks. No work on Christmas or thanksgiving. Great tips.

Cons

In many ways its just like any other restaurant job.

Advice to Management

"Professional and low drama restaurant"

I have been working at Roaring Fork part-time

Pros

Management is flexible with your schedule.
    Build rapport with all different types of clients.
    Training is informative and efficient.

Cons

If you don't like working weekends, this isn't the place for you.
    It is a restaurant and there are young people who work there, therefore, immature people.

"this is a great place to make money!"

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

Pros

They can work around any schedule

Cons

this place pretends to be a steak house and is an over rated burger joint! they sell chips and queso. Any place that sells chips and queso is no steak house

Advice to Management

they really need to make up there minds on what this companies concept is and figure out what direction the company will go to make it a better place to dine.