Robert Half Reviews in London, UK | Glassdoor

Updated May 26, 2017

London, UK Area (UK)

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Half Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Pros
  • The company also really values your work-life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Commitment to new hires, great training (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • You get what you put in, so at the beginning it is difficult to get the work life balance (in 113 reviews)

• NO work / life balance , not compensated, unappreciated (in 40 reviews)

1. "Working at Robert Half"

I have been working at Robert Half full-time

Pros

The environment and culture working at Robert half is second to none. I Have friends that have come from other recruitment companies to my company and they all say nowhere they have worked previously compares, . The reason I first had an interest in joining Robert half is because they placed me in an accountancy role 5 years ago, the support they gave me and the contact they kept made the company seem really appealing to me, they helped me through my career and even when i mentioned wanting to go into recruitment instead of them jumping at the referral bonus one of the guys there met with me and weighed up my options to ensure I was making the right choice. Since joining in feb, 4 ex employees have all returned for the very reason that the support and culture here is unmatchable. The training you get from both colleagues and managers is superb, everyone is always on hand to help and invest time to make sure you know what you are doing whether that be your colleague coming in a meeting with you or your director spending an hour a day doing a calling session with you, you feel supported in every aspect.

Cons

No cons, some would say the hours but I generally don't mind working late, especially when you're surrounded by like minded people the time flies and you have a great laugh whilst doing so. if you don't like working long hours to earn well and succeed then you shouldn't be in recruitment

Advice to Management

I couldn't fault the management

"Abusive"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Half full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made some great friends but that was about it. Robert Half has a lot of money to spend on location of the office so you have a good pick of restaurants for lunch.

Cons

- Working at Robert Half was like being in an abusive relationship.
    - They count on humiliation, bullying and threatening you to make sure they keep a hold on you.
    - KPI's and pressure were so intense that my health declined. I stopped recovering from colds and ended up in the hospital once.
    - The KPI's are highest in the industry. They keep you from doing your job properly.
    - If you are a new consultant and make a mistake your manager will scream at you.
    - Someone was always crying in the office because of the pressure.
    - If you read the reviews below, the one talking about everyone having sex with everyone -- well, it's all true.
    - Your colleagues will backstab you and steal your clients and candidates.
    - People who have been there a long time have been brainwashed into thinking working at Robert Half is the centre of the universe. They all have tunnel vision.
    - You will work 12 hours a day and will start on an embarrassingly low salary.
    - Take my advice -- don't work at RH.

May 25, 2017

It’s disappointing to hear that you had a negative experience with Robert Half. While we do have a competitive environment, we aim to support all our employees to succeed by offering them the best ... More

3. "Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very supportive even though it took me 6 months to really add value and bill any money - My manager and the Director group were always happy to help whether it being registering a hot candidate or meeting a client. I was never made to feel bad or unsuccessful and was always encouraged to focus on the 'long game' - I'm 12 months in now and absolutely loving Robert Half - London - oh and I'm getting my first proper Bonus next month to boot!

Cons

It takes times to build up a client base as there's lots of tenure in the office which means a lot of the perceived bigger & better clients are taken. That's Sales I suppose!

The hours are long but that recruitment - the best candidates tend to be available to meet early or late in the day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work - all of you are a truly inspiring bunch who make even the bad days fun.

It's great to know you all started at desk and have been through what us new crew are experiencing - it also makes me feel good about the future in that there will be a big job available for me one day if I stick at!!

May 10, 2017

Congratulations on making your first bonus! It's great to see that you understand the benefits that come from focus and determination. There will be many more successes in your future.

"Great experience with great people"

Former Employee - London in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - London in London, England (UK)

Pros

After spending 2 years working with RH, I can look back and say the experience gained was second to none having had the privilege of working alongside some incredible people.

The guys there are welcoming and fun, senior leadership are all approachable and all want you to succeed. The training given is ongoing from day 1, you're never going to feel like you're not learning something.

In terms of money and benefits, it's down to you and what you put in. If you work hard and listen to the management there, you're going to make a lot of money.

Cons

Recruitment is highly competitive - you have to push yourself if you want to do well. This does have a knock on effect to work / life balance but you do forget about that when bonus gets paid - if you understand that from day one you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the steering groups, keep listening to the guys on desk and celebrate the good stuff more.

May 10, 2017

Thank you for your review. While we do have competitive environment, we also strive to provide every employee with the tools and training required to rise to the challenge. All the best for your ... More

6. "Very ethical and fair employer that pay well"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Half full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've just left Robert Half to move overseas after 2+yrs with the business.
    2016: 3rd in the country on qualified finance, London
    2015: 17th in the country on part qualified finance, Bristol

- If you work hard you can easily earn 10-20k quarterly bonuses
     - Great outgoing culture
     - All management genuinely want you to succeed
     - Very fast paced enviroment. You learn a hell of a lot in a relatively short space of time
     - If you are profitable they will always look out for you alternatively it's quite cutthroat for people that aren't willing to work hard (hit targets/TPR/do your job)

Cons

- As always in recruitment the work life balence is tough (8am - 6.30pm+)
     - Don't celebrate the wins enough, always asking for more

Advice to Management

- More continuous training, even for more senior consultants
     - Develop some training courses on organisation
     - Steering groups are heading in the right direction and I hope they continue to happen every quarter

Mar 30, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear that you had a successful experience with us and all the best for your move overseas.

7. "World Class Organisation... and I don't say that lightly!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Amazing culture. Very fun place to work!
    2. True meritocracy. Everyone starts as a consultant and works their way up (don't hire in at senior levels which is motivational).
    3. Everyone in the office is supportive because been there / done it.
    4. You get loads of training at desk, with management and offsite training courses.
    5. If you're a top performer, the perks are amazing (the opportunity to earn a spot at The Savoy & Vegas are massive incentives for me).
    6. Flat structure and given it's a billion dollar business, it's a dynamic and entrepreneurial place to work.
    7. They give you the road map for success, you just need to implement it (which isn't easy but if you want it, it's there for you).

Cons

1. High standards.
    2. They push you to be the best, they don't want mediocre performance.
    3. They've got a specific way they do business (it undoubtedly works but you make sure you buy into it before joining).
    4. Elite culture... that actually drives me to want to be in that club!

Advice to Management

Keep driving everyone... even though some people don't like it, don't lower your standard. We're the best for a reason!

Feb 3, 2017

It's true, we do want everyone that works for us to be driven, but it's great that you recognise the opportunities for training and development to support you to succeed. Thanks for the review! ... More

8. "Robert Half - Great place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant - Finance in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant - Finance in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great team environment, great people, great office
    - Amazing brand with brilliant client and candidate database
    - Leadership have a very hands on approach
    - Incentives are brilliant
    - People really care about each other
    - the client and customers are always put first

I have worked in other organisations and I truly feel that some people do not realise how lucky they are to work for a company like RH.

Robert Half is a great business full on great people, the tenure of management is exceptional and they have performed well themselves, There are many examples of people who have left RH and have returned to the business.

It seems that inputs are more important that outputs in the early stages and consultants are always supported until they get up to speed. Although recruitment is tough you get lots of support and coaching to be brilliant, Regional Directors/Directors and AD's often attend client visits with junior staff in order to up skill.

Yes there are KPIs but they are only ever talked about in getting you better at the job, they are there because they work and are only ever discussed in relation to your own improvement.

There is potential to earn great commission ad really change your, it takes a while but if you are good you can start getting 10k bonuses plus... which is great as even though the job is hard it is great fun.

The support staff are also great - from reception through sales support everyone is always willing to help

Cons

The system is a bit 'clunky' but I think its being upgraded soon,
    The job is hard and you have to take the ups and the downs - there will be plenty of downs in the early days,

Advice to Management

Focus on the positives
    Play the long game
    Everyone has different styles and training/coaching needs to be tailored in accordance.

Feb 3, 2017

Thank you for this review! It is great to see you are benefiting from the rewards a career with Robert Half provides. Also, you'll be pleased to know that over the next year we will be upgrading our ... More

9. "Fantastic company with supportive management and a real opportunity to grow your career!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Great office culture, genuinely most people who work here love their jobs and want to work hard and do well. There are weekly themed sales mornings to keep staff motivated with prizes for winners. Management and directors genuinely want people to be happy at work as well as productive.
    - Amazing training from the beginning, both away on training days and at desk from senior management and leadership. Directors are not too egotistical to get on the phones with you or sit down and help at desk with consultants, they are always happy to help and get involved.
    -Tablets for all staff members for agile working and nice offices in The Shard.
    - Opportunity to progress with a long term career, many members of staff doing management training courses.
    - Working for a global brand. RH have and are sponsoring staff members to move internationally within the company.
    - Uncapped commission, quarterly and annual events that recognise top performers as well as internal branch recognition on a more regular basis.

Cons

-The nature of recruitment is that you work long hours. RH could be a little bit more flexible on this, especially for top performers.
    - Targets are typically higher than what's required at other agencies but RH are a leader for that reason.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and looking after the staff you have!

Feb 3, 2017

It's great to hear that you are finding a career with Robert Half supportive, filled with opportunities to progress and rewarding. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Best training in the industry
    Senior leadership personally involved in employees careers and development
    Cutting edge technology with tablets for all staff, new CRM system coming in this year
    Being part of a big business you get to leverage a global brand
    multiple ways to develop your career as a leader or recruitment specialist
    Opportunity to expand your career globally, I have seen many people move to Australia, UAE, North America, Canada and Europe to take up promotions

Cons

High standards and long hours at the start are required to be successful

Advice to Management

Make sure you keep remaining visible

Feb 3, 2017

Thanks for your review! It's great to hear that you value the opportunities for development that a business with 325 office locations around the world can provide.

11. "Robert Half - "A company that invests in their staff""

Current Employee - Accounting Consultant SPS in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Accounting Consultant SPS in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Robert Half are excellent at spotting good talent. coaching them and keeping them!

It's very rare to come across an organisation with the understanding that a happy work force is a productive one.

Office culture was a big win when I first joined. With it's current target systems, Collaboration is championed embodying a "we" mind-set as opposed to an "I." Everyone is sociable, friendly with an extremely hard worth ethic.

In addition to this, it is also motivating to be in the company with an exceptionally strong leadership team. These individuals show up. Lead from the front and will have a conversation with anyone of any level. This style of management creates a safe platform for concerns to be vocalised and consequently nipped in the bud through action.

Cons

Recruitment is a very youthful industry so with that comes a higher than average turnover. Staff retention is a big focus area I'm noticing. This is actually what motivated me to write a good review.

it's always easier to look at the negatives rather than look at the positives.

Advice to Management

keep showing up
    keep leading from the front
    continue the candor that is ingrained within the office culture

Feb 3, 2017

It is very true -- I can be easier to look at the negatives rather than see the positives. It's great to see that appreciate all the positives a career with Robert Half provides. Thanks for the ... More

Showing 36 of 2,170 reviews