Robert Half Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert Half Technology Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer, Jr
Harold M. Messmer, Jr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance- this is the most challenging aspect of the position (in 18 reviews)

• None that I can think of, besides not being able to build a relationship with them because of the high turnover (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Lead Recruiter"

Current Employee - Lead Recruiter in Woodbridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Lead Recruiter in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at Robert Half Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent commission structure you see results for your hard work. RH invest in their employees and give you all the tools you need to be successful. A lot of opportunity to advance in the company and they really only promote within.

Cons

It's a challenging/competitive environment which is not for everyone.

2. "Perm Recruiting Manager"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager

I have been working at Robert Half Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best resources in staffing industry for building your own massive professional network. Enjoy working with colleagues, everyone is involved in hiring/interview process for internal prospects.
    Competitive bonus structure. Excellent leadership.

Cons

Tracking everything is time consuming.

Advice to Management

Do R & D, and training on enterprise technology trends moving forward. Get us ahead of the other firms that are already focusing on "DevOps," machine learning, and blockchain development as core skillsets.

3. "Loved working with RHL"

Pros

They were great people.
    Always had me on a job with a great company.
    When I started with them, I only made $10/hr, the bumped me up to $13/hr
    They offer PTO

Cons

I enjoyed my experience w/RHL, I have no cons to list.

Robert Half Technology Response

Sep 15, 2017 – Online Reputation Specialist

This is wonderful to hear! Many thanks for sharing!

"Misrepresented opportunity and a cultural nightmare"

Former Employee - Division Director in Westwood, CA
    Former Employee - Division Director in Westwood, CA

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The fact that I no longer work there.

Cons

Look - I don't need to provide a negative review for Robert Half to have a negative profile here. There are currently upwards of 2,000 reviews here and Robert Half sits at about a 3.4/5. Not good. I will, however, provide the most candid criticism I possibly can to ensure that my successors either mitigate the mistake of joining Robert Half or are at least well prepared to know the experience will suck.

1) Culture - To say the culture at Robert Half is bad would be kind. Every former employee I've ever spoken to and about 50% of the currently employed disgruntled employees seem to agree.

2) Benefits - "full health care benefits" is a massive stretch. You'll still be paying almost exactly the same amount for benefits that you would pay on the open market. The plans offered in the RHT group are also less than satisfactory.

3) Management - Management wants you to be a number, not a thinker. Don't do things their way and they'll fire you. I'm already aware of a few others that are on the chopping block currently.

3.5) Micro-management - "Why didn't you connect with 100 people over the phone this week?" "Why weren't you able to book 10-12 meetings every week?" "You shouldn't wear that color pants where the president of our region is in the office." "Don't use that word track." "Don't do this, do that." "We work until 5pm...don't leave until the "bell rings."" You can not make your own schedule. I tried to be there from 7am to 4:30pm one day and was pulled aside and lectured for 30 minutes about how we "stay until the bell rings." Yeah, you tend to get treated like you're in grade school.

4) Professional individuality non-existent - RHT way or the highway. Do not join RHT unless you want to sell off a script and make 100 mindless phone calls every day.

5) 2 a day "board" meetings to update the team on your plan, opportunities, etc. This is a massive waste of time and everyone on the team agrees. No one cares much about each others business, so updating 40 people on your daily activities seems a mismanagement of time.

6) Weak recruiting team. There are exceptions, but the majority of the recruiters are less than exceptional.

7) Lack of resources - recruiters don't even have Linkedin recruiter accounts (this could explain their mediocre recruiting capabilities - chicken, egg), salespeople aren't provided Linkedin sales navigator accounts, you'll be working entirely from a crappy MSFT Surface tablet, and your expenses will be scrutinized to ensure you don't spend over $25 per person at meetings

8) Client displeasure - I've never, ever, worked for a company before that has such a negative reputation in the market. I've been yelled at, hung up on, and quite frankly told, "We had a horrible experience with RHT and will never work with you again."

9) Lack of defined sales territories - I'm convinced RHT does this on purpose to generate a sense of competition. Albeit, negative competition. Account ownership doesn't exist. You could MAYBE own a contact at a company, but even if you do business with a certain account, that doesn't mean 15 other people aren't also going to be calling that same account. In just 9 weeks I had a ton of people ask me to stop calling, remove them from lists, etc. explaining they get 10+ calls from JUST RHT every day.

If I sound like a disgruntled employee who was just fired after 9 weeks, I am. I've never worked for a company that invests so little in developing its employees. RHT expects you to be EXACTLY what they want. They discuss a 6 to 12 to 18 month ramp-up period where you'll build pipeline and develop accounts however you see fit. They mentioned a long leash, saying you'll have room to foster your sales style. All of this is entirely BS. You won't even make it to the end of the 13-week "training" program if you're not doing things how they want you to do them. I say "training" because there is VERY little training involved - only about 3 days.

Advice to Management

1) Don't misrepresent opportunities to those interviewing with you who think they're going to have any bit of autonomy to work as they see fit. I was under the impression I would have 6-18 months to develop accounts, sell as I see fit, and push the solutions I wanted to sell.

2) NEVER hire someone with sales experience unless their entire career has been in staffing. Old dog, new tricks. Management doesn't want you to do things your way even if they work. There is the Robert Half way or the highway. You either MPC a .NET developer to a bunch of companies who are less than happy with our historic relationship or you get fired. Mangement does a terrible job of cultivating a group of people who can think outside the box.

3) Actually, train your people. The 13-week "training" period is essentially just a trial period where they will fire people who don't meet their expectations.

4) Better explain to candidates the fact they will likely never see a bonus. There are people on the team who were pulling in $4-5K a week in gross margin but had yet to bonus. They're making $20k a month for RHT and weren't seeing a penny of commission. Apparently, you have to hit something like $6k a week in GM to bonus? I wasn't on this structure as a DD, but even some of the best performers on the team weren't earning bonuses.

5. "Great people, tough job."

Current Employee - Senior Account E
    Current Employee - Senior Account E

I have been working at Robert Half Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a ton starting on day one. The training I received initially wasn't great but the ongoing training has been second to none. The people that you work with are great and make the job bearable.

Cons

It's not an easy job, nothing worth doing is but there are a lot of layers to the process and can definitely be frustrating not having as much control as you may be accustomed to in another sales role.

Advice to Management

Update the comp plan.

6. "RM"

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time

Pros

Good corporate resources, lots of tools, decent training

Cons

Revolving door, intense micromanagement. Expect to get treated like you are 5 regardless of the money you bring in. Terrible middle management that barely knows their own business

Advice to Management

Change the management structure and take employee suggestions into consideration.

7. "Software developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Kent, WA

I have been working at Robert Half Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

15 PTO Days (Paid Time Off)

Cons

Pretty much no other benefits. Very slow response when it comes to a raise (~1 year).

8. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, plenty of resources.

Cons

Somewhat of an old school management mentality.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving and innovating.

9. "Recruiter"

Former Employee - Division Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Division Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company and professional atmosphere

Cons

High pressure to produce constantly, but that's your job!

10. "Test"

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to find a great income

Cons

Market Entry for new grads

Advice to Management

Continue to challenge status quo