Robert Half Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert Half Technology Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer, Jr
Harold M. Messmer, Jr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance- this is the most challenging aspect of the position (in 23 reviews)

• None that I can think of, besides not being able to build a relationship with them because of the high turnover (in 31 reviews)

1. "Great work when it's available"

Current Employee - Deployment Technician in Moorhead, MN
    Current Employee - Deployment Technician in Moorhead, MN

I have been working at Robert Half Technology part-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Very organized. Offered discounts for education.

Cons

They do not have much work in my area. Still under development.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Bring more opportunities to the Fargo / Grand Forks, ND metro areas.

2. "Recruiter"

I have been working at Robert Half Technology full-time

Pros

Always something to do or be working on. Lots of resources for success

Cons

It's hard to decide what is worth working on and what is not

3. "Project Manager"

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time

Pros

Always kept me updated.
    Very nice people to work with.
    Really made me feel like a part of the team.

Cons

Not the best pay.
    Sometimes take a long time to find a new contract for you.

4. "Great team, not so great pay"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Dallas office and I loved the team and its environment. We always had fun and kept things pretty weird. Staffing isn't an easy job, so its important to keep it fun wit the team and thats just what they did.

Cons

When I was hired, I was in a training program so I wasn't on a bonus structure and I had to make so many placements before I could be. Which is fine, but it was kind of not explained to me that well so I didn't fully understand what I was getting myself into and I wasn't making enough money without the bonuses.

Advice to Management

Be more clear on the bonus/pay structure. It wasnt until I was hired and made the amount of placements needed to be on a bonus structure that I learned I was working on a draw. Basically meaning I have to pay back my salary before I make a bonus. It was all very confusing to me.

5. "No job orders"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Washington, DC

I have been working at Robert Half Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co workers, good health benefits, many offices, big company m, name brand recognition, a lot of resources but not much time to use

Cons

No work-life balance, low pay, high turnover, no job orders, office politics, unethical practices lying about job orders. Candidates feel burned because we call them for a job order interview them to get leads and never call back

Advice to Management

More work life balance, treat people more than just as an asset that’s disposable

"A revolving door of stress"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Steep learning curve, but RHT allowed plenty of training and sufficient time to learn if you show ambition and effort.

Cons

Rigid, stressful work environment. Many set objectives and practices that actually worked counter-intuitive to the end goals. Doesn't allow space for developing long-term relationships with potential employees.

7. "would not recommend"

Former Employee - Business Development - RHT in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Development - RHT in Denver, CO

I worked at Robert Half Technology (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not much, good training, you have to drink their kool-aid if you want to make it past 6 months. Great vacation, accrue up to 1 month per year. Not a lot good going on with Robert Half International

Cons

No salary, it is a draw that is paid back with your production. You are not a person here you are a number and they don't care if you make it or not, turnover is ok with them b/c they don't have to pay out commissions. Management hires to hires, they don't mind turnover and they are very top heavy, a lot of non production roles to be paid out before you get a cut of your business. They will charge you back, from future commissions, if your client fails to pay and their worthless accounting department cant collect. Bottom line they care about one thing and one thing only, Wall Street. Their motto is do right by their share prices, not the client or the candidate. They also sell people by "blue skying" them during the interview process. They will refer to 1 producer who makes good money, ($100k+), while the rest of the team struggles. In all honesty I would never recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Change your whole DNA. Cut all the non production roles where people hide that cant produce. Learn to operate ethically and not what is best for wall street

8. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Robert Half is an amazing company and I felt extremely lucky to work here. I loved the team, the grind of starting off, and the oppurtunity of having a financially rewarding career with a work life balance. If you get on here you are very lucky. Amazing benefits, fun environment, and wonderful people.

Cons

This is rare, but I was fired and I cannot think of anything negative about working here.

Advice to Management

You guys are amazing, but you should block your calendars for one on one time with new employees.

9. "Be careful before working here."

Former Employee - Web Developer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Robert Half Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of work to do. They take care of marketing your skills for you.

Cons

Greedy, willing to lie. This is the only company that has actively tried pushing my rate down. And it wasn't just with one recruiter, this happened with at least 3 separate people, so I believe it's just company policy to do this. If you don't know any better about your worth they will absolutely take advantage of you. It happened to me when I was just starting out. They told me lies about the rate I was asking for being "Senior Level" when in reality it was hardly a junior wage for the work I was doing.

Very pushy to get you into positions fast. I've told them "I don't want to rush anything I need time to think" and they set very short deadlines for decisions anyway, as well as multiple calls and emails to push it.

Advice to Management

Stop the lying at least?

"Good only if you come from a competitor and have a book of business established"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Robert Half Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's one of the largest staffing companies and well known in the area but only because there is 7 lines of business and known nationally.

If you are in sales you are encouraged to be out of the office with clients as much as possible.

IF you decide to interview, ask why the position is open. That question is a must. If it is open because somebody who had been there for 3 years had quit (also ask why they quit) then it might be a good place as their companies can now be called and sometimes you will walk into accounts where there was business and get sales easier instead of a fresh book. If not, RUN because starting from scratch is virtually impossible and the dfw sales manager knows everybody relevant in the region. If a company isnt getting called, there's a reason and he knows it but don't ever ask for direction of who TO call because it wont be there because he would be giving away business for himself. This scenario is very real.

Cons

RHT is the most expensive staffing service in the nation. That is your biggest hurdle. You are trying to sell "quality" but if your recruiters are only decent that doesn't work. TRAIN THE RECRUITERS. Lots of competition in the market and there isn't really any differentiators. If you are good looking this might be a good fit as it is easier to get a foot in the door, staffing certainly has that reputation as an industry.

If you are a recruiter, prepare to be highly micromanaged and not given any training. IT languages and skillsets are hard to learn, you will have to just figure it out quick. Your headset will be on all day and you are purely a metric. The top recruiters have found ways to manipulate sales force to find better candidates to prevent new employees from reaching out.

Your comp structure is a joke. You will make 40ish as a recruiter your first 2 years and if you are in sales you will make 50ish. Dont let your manager tell you otherwise.

If you are in sales, your manager decides who you call. THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM. Because your manager is a producer first (they are calling acct's in the same region) they get to choose if you are allowed to even call into a company and maybe they call them instead because they know there's money there. THIS HAPPENS AND YES... IT IS VERY UNETHICAL. The "team" aspect isn't there, you are on your own.

Micromanagement. Micromanagement. MIcromanagement.

No training, no weekly meetings or goal setting, little encouragement, "just do it" mentality. Very very high turnover.

You will see fake notes from sales people only so they can lock down certain companies. Sales lies often about who they visit or talk to so that when a flip comes in they get it.

Advice to Management

HR nightmare - Divisions sitting close heard racist slurs, jokes about women in the workforce and why men get paid more, etc from MANAGERS weekly. Eventually an employee is going to sue and eventually your top producer will be forced to exit. There's a difference in a loose, casual culture and being obnoxious and blatantly disrespectful atmosphere.

Train. Seriously, act like you care about your employees and invest in them. The occasional forced happy hour when the employees complain about why they never do anything together after work doesn't show you care, it shows this job is nothing more than a 9-5.

Understand that managers are producers hence their main goal is to make money. Bc of this they don't care about their team because it just takes effort away from them talking to clients so be lenient on new individuals to create their own book. Burch is always overly helpful when you ask him questions and you can tell he cares, yes sometimes too much, but at least he cares. Have him establish a training program that actually trains, not like the current one that just gives unrealistic expectations so that when the individual doesn't meet it they can be easily fired. Also, direction on which companies to call would be nice in sales not just "call everyone, they all have IT".