Robert Half Temporary Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 25, 2016

Temporary Employee

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Half Chairman and CEO Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Pros
  • The company also really values your work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Great training as well as a great supportive administrative staff (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • You get what you put in, so at the beginning it is difficult to get the work life balance (in 106 reviews)

• There is no work life balance, nor are you compensated well enough for the work that you have to put in (in 38 reviews)

1. "good experience as a temp"

Former Employee - Temporary Legal Services Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Temporary Legal Services Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you're fresh out of law school or recently moved here and haven't considered temporary legal services, do it! A great way to learn passively while doing easy work that requires legal expertise. I met a lot of great people at various stages of their careers. There's no start time you just show up during working hours and try to make 40 a week. So you can leave for job interviews at random hours of the day, if that's your thing. I never felt like I was under pressure - I'm sure that makes the work better for clients, as nobody feels the need to cut corners. And since it's temp work, it's over before you get too bored of it. It's a great little slice of the legal world that civilization could not function without, so come do doc review!

Cons

It can be excruciatingly boring. Also, confidentiality requirements make it hard to tell what the project is going to be like until you're actually on it. It's definitely not anybody's dream job.

2. "It is a thing"

Current Employee - Temporary Employee in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Temporary Employee in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly Pay, Direct Deposit, easily accessible staff.

Cons

Secrecy, disconnect in regular communication, no reaching out for potentially better opportunities. Low pay at certain positions with no room for negotiation.

3. "Avoid this company, there are better choices"

Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Robert Half (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company with many clients. They offered me the job after 10 minutes into the interview!

Cons

You have to negotiate with them, their pay is about 20% less than other temporary companies. They don't want you to leave even if you get an offer for a permanent job. The staff and management are very rude and don't care about the employees, to them temps are only the cash cow. You can't trust everything they say. Their sales staff spend too much time and money cozing up to the recruiting managers so they hire one of their employee rather than utilizing another temp agency.

Advice to Management

Pay your branches a decent salary, so they don't rely on the incentives and squeezing every last penny from the temporary and contract employees so the company show better margins and earnings per share!

5. "Used to one of the best...."

Former Contractor - Temporary Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - Temporary Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Robert Half as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of locations throughout the world. With brand recognition comes many jobs to pick and choose from. Known as one of the top temp agency's.

Cons

I worked with them for 3 1/2 years in late 1990's as an internal employee. Left found better job out of state. Got layed off, decided to temp for a while I found something permanent. Found rude staff, sent on job that were not in my skill set, not once but three of my last 10 assignments. I.E. regular secretary sent for legal secretary work.

Advice to Management

Retrain staff

"Don't rely on them to find you a job you still have to do your own searching"

Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

If you need money while you're job searching you can earn money taking temporary assignments
    You get paid every week
    Depending on assignment can get competitive rates
    Some assignments are long-term

Cons

Placement does not depend on the agency, they submit you to the client and it's up to the client to decide if they want you (yes even for a temporary assignment)
    Work is often very slow
    It's depressing to keep emailing (they prefer that you email instead of call) your recruiter.. sometimes they dont' respond

Advice to Management

It's deplorable the way recruiters don't get back to candidates. If there is no work, at least have the decency to respond back. When you have candidates who have served you well on prior assignments, it's a lack of professional courtesy to not return calls or emails. A good recruiter keeps in touch with his/her stable of candidates.

"Don't use them to find a real job"

Former Contractor - Temporary Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Temporary Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Robert Half as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules if working on a document review project. Overall the staff is nice, but nice doesn't get me paid.

Cons

They don't listen to what you want. If you're on a long project they won't look for a full time position for you, no matter how many times you call. Sometimes they take forever to get back to you if you leave them a message. Once they called me for a job, I called back less than 20 seconds later (I'd just missed them) and couldn't get through, so I left a message and sent an email. I didn't hear from them again until the following day when I called back, AGAIN, and then they told me that they'd "handled" it (basically gave the position to someone else). The pay is terrible. They make almost as much as you do, and you're doing all of the work.

Advice to Management

Do better.

"it is what it is"

Former Contractor - Temporary Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - Temporary Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Robert Half as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

you get to work at various environments. In addition, you get to work .

Cons

You have a feeling that you don't exist. The staffing agents look at you more like a piece of matter.

9. "Most fun I've had on the job"

Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Robert Half part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good way to get some experience in multiple fields and discover your potential. You are paid on a weekly basis.

Cons

This is a temp agency, so there may be times when assignments may not be available.

10. "As a temp, it's just okay."

Former Contractor - Temporary Employee in Westborough, MA
    Former Contractor - Temporary Employee in Westborough, MA

I worked at Robert Half as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as a temp to fill in positions with companies that needed immediate attention. The turnaround was great, and the staff was very up front about what to expect.

Cons

Some of the positions were less than ideal, often being completely different from expectations. It seems that the team was just looking to fill empty spots with whomever would take them to meet some sort of quota.

Advice to Management

Don't accept clients that do not meet your criteria. As an "account temp" jobs should be accounting related, not manual labor.

11. "Okay agency for people coming with little to no experience"

Current Employee - Temporary Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Temporary Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Half full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Access to online courses, friendly management

Cons

- Could be very unpredictable sometimes in terms of exact date/ contract term, job responsibilities