Robert Walters Reviews

Updated May 29, 2020

4.3
Robert Walters Chief Executive Officer Robert Walters
Robert Walters
Pros
  • "Totally not a traditional corporate; relaxed working environment & fun office(in 41 reviews)

• "Good training programme especially for new people to the industry(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours But that’s what is required to be successful(in 40 reviews)

• "Work-life balance, flexibility, KPI based progression(in 25 reviews)

1. "A place for hustlers looking for strong career training and development"

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Robert Walters is a great place to launch you career in recruitment. The training process for new hires is top-notch, but employee development does not just stop after your first few months. The firm takes great responsibility in staying up to date with industry trends and providing resources to enable consultants at all levels to develop a consultative dialogue with clients and candidates. Awesome people, small (but growing!) office where everyone is welcomed and encouraged.

Cons

Recruitment is all about resilience. Management will support you towards achieving your goals, but there's no hand-holding in the business. As a new hire it can be a little overwhelming, but putting in the time and using the tools you're given in training will help you be successful.

Robert Walters2020-05-14
  2. "Good career start but needs to invest in improving culture and work/life balance."

2.0

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time

Pros

Good place to kick-start career if you have little to no experience. Clear growth trajectory and good training for new starters.

Cons

Poor work/life balance - Employees are expected to work overtime regularly, come in early and stay late. There's no flexibility when it comes to hours and you will face resistance when taking sick time or WFH (in regular times, employees often come into the office sick due to this). Little understanding for employees with long commutes, special circumstances, outside commitments, etc. Considering the office is based in SF, there are many other comparable companies with much better work/life culture. Very KPI driven - High pressure and competitive environment (it’s a sales role), although this is to be expected in an agency setting such as this. Inexperienced management - Most managers have worked their way up in the business and have no outside experience. Not very understanding and at times can be unprofessional. Need to invest more here and train managers in good HR practices. Outdated technology - Workflow is slowed down because of regular tech issues and lack of support. Internal software is dated and difficult to use.

Robert Walters2020-05-19

Robert Walters Response

June 1, 2020Human Resources

Thanks for your review. I appreciate you being so thorough in your feedback, even if I was disappointed to read much of it. First, I take on board your point about our technology/systems, and I can assure you that we are working on this and that it’s a top priority for the business. Second, you’re right – this is a commercial environment and every member of our team needs to be a high performer, but I also think we reward that hard work with trust, autonomy and as much flexibility as we can. And I’m personally very proud that we’re able to offer our staff a path to management — that’s why we’ve partnered with a market-leading management training firm to develop our managers and ensure we always follow HR best practices. That said, I would never endorse any action by any manager that put the health and wellbeing of our people at risk. I really value the culture we’ve built here, and I want every member of our team to get the support that he/she needs. I’d appreciate the chance to speak to you privately and get some further details about your experience – in complete confidence, of course. Please feel free to email me and we can set something up. Thanks, Simon Bromwell Managing Director – North America

3. "A place where you can grow a career"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Robert Walters is a great place to work. It provides great culture and an environment in which you make your own as you are surrounded by like minded entrepreneurs. With a professional management group and all the support to make a successful career, you feel like coming to work each day!

Cons

No cons, they are always thinking one step ahead of the market.

Robert Walters2020-04-08

"Supportive team that hustles"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a great office to get a start in recruiting especially if you haven't had prior experience. Before joining RW SF, I was in a technical industry with no recruitment experience. They have a great team that coaches you through their process to be efficient and successful. I really enjoyed the opportunity to work with some of the fastest growing startups in the Bay Area. I was exposed to different industries, orgs, and leaderships that made me appreciate the value recruitment brings to these teams. This office is especially helpful to understand the SF market if you are a transplant and/or new to tech. Some of my favorite things about Robert Walters: - Great culture! They foster a collaborative culture where everyone is working together. People are always going out to events, HH, or just hanging out outside of work. - They teach you resilience. Recruiting can be tough sometimes but the team here is able to coach you through the lows so that you can come out on top while celebrating the highs so that you continue to chase that feeling. - The Robert Walters approach to recruitment is more strategic and high touch in comparison to other firms which is why the leadership here emphasizes quality over quantity. It really makes you take a step back to see the field as a chess board and how you can make the most out of each move. -

Cons

- They are currently in process of testing new platforms, but, during my time, their platform is pretty outdated. Don't get me wrong though! It works and works well, but it just isnt as intuitive and user friendly as some of the other software today. - This is still an agency and a sales job at the end of the day. You only get out as much as you put it and it can be tough. You have to hustle and have grit when it comes to recruitment. This is not a startup where you can relax and get by. Although it is not KPI driven, there are other metrics of success which reflect your hustle.

Robert Walters2019-10-12
  5. "Great, supportive company"

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

global brand, good marketing materials and an excellent team of like-minded individuals.

Cons

Recruitment in general requires a lot of resilience

Robert Walters2019-05-24

"A culture you'll find hard to beat!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Everyone who works here genuinely loves what they do and believes in the company they work for, which makes it a great environment to be a part of - It's a true team based culture which encourages sharing of clients and candidates from day one so that we're all given an equal chance to be successful - Professional development and training is well structured and you have the opportunity to learn from some of the best people in the industry, first hand - The client and candidate networks that we have in the market, along with brand reputation, is second to none which means there are warm relationships to leverage from meaning business development doesn't feel like that stereotypical "cold" approach that you might expect in this industry - The emphasis is on our output so we are encouraged to build relationships and use our own style rather than one set way - I feel I can be myself and bring ideas to the table - I get to work with interesting businesses and make a positive impact on growing teams for high growth start ups in the bay area, this also means I get exposed to working with founders and CEO's of some really innovative companies - We are an international business and I've seen first hand some real life examples of people in our office being given the opportunity and support to work internationally - Incentives (on top of the performance based bonuses) are amazing - trips to other international offices, high achievers lunches, weekly client lunch competitions, quarterly team celebrations !

Cons

- It's not a small 'start up' tech business so they can't compete with unlimited annual leave but that being said, the management team genuinely encourage you to use your (pretty generous) vacation quota to take time and recharge the batteries (with a team based profit share model you'll also know that your desk will be looked after whilst you're gone so you can properly unwind )

Robert Walters2019-05-15
  7. "worked full time at RW as an Executive Recruiter"

Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for less than a year

Pros

good team environment happy hours and team events

Cons

lack of training and support from management lack of firm strategy from management

Robert Walters2019-05-28

Robert Walters Response

June 19, 2019Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback—while I’m glad you found a positive working environment here, I was disappointed to read that you felt you didn’t have the training or management support you would have liked. If you like, I’d be interested in discussing your comments in more detail—you can email me at simon.bromwell@robertwalters.com and we can arrange to have a confidential conversation. Simon Bromwell Managing Director, North America

"One of the best companies I have ever worked for!"

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

Pros

- There is no ceiling as far as career development is concerned, you can grow and develop as fast as you want and are not restricted by 'annual promotions' and formal approaches to development - Very entrepreneurial environment. You get to enjoy the benefits, nice offices and luxuries that come with being part of a global company but it still feels like a creative environment where you can build your business as you see fit - You are working with bright, driven and hardworking people who all want to do well. People who are at the top of their game in what they do - Amazing, inspiring leadership - It is one of the first companies I have worked for where I have visibly seen so much change (for the better) in such a short time. They say they are going to do something and they execute, I have worked for companies before that have all these great ideas but nothing ever really changes. Here, the leadership make things happen. - Great incentives - Supportive through the difficult times - Great training provided both internally and externally - You really feel a part of a global network - You are encouraged to be yourself, and bringing your personality and unique ways to what you do is embraced, nobody trying to make you a mould of someone else - Conscious of social responsibility and giving back. Great advocates for diversity and making a difference. - We have lots of fun, good banter, really great group of people who I enjoy spending time with every day! - Lots of exciting growth plans.

Cons

I could not speak more highly about working for this company. One thing that would be nice is a more flexible view on working from home, but I believe a policy is being put together around this at the moment.

Robert Walters2019-05-09
  9. "Great Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time

Pros

People here are brilliant - they are honestly the best at what they do and know what they are saying. Lots of global opportunities for growth and they will help you get there (even admins/ops!). Amazing views from the office; a beautiful corner office where you can see DTLA, the Hollywood sign and Santa Monica/Pacific Ocean.

Cons

Technology is a behind but is gradually moving in the right direction.

Robert Walters2019-05-09
  10. "Great Growth Opportunities & Team Culture!!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Office Culture - we are a small but mighty Team at the moment, and the culture is really wonderful. We work hard, but it is very collaborative and team members are recognized and commended for the hard work they put in. As we continue to grow, we look for people to join the Team who have values that mirror ours, who we know are good humans and who we know we'd like to spend time with! Diversity of thought and experience is highly valued by RW CA which I really love as well. 2. Career Growth Opportunities - if you work hard, and provide value to the business you will be offered great career progression opportunities, and quite quickly. There is also great support & resources to learn and develop your skills/ weakness & whatever focus areas you'd like to take on. 3. 360 approach - this means you get to do it all. Business develop, manage clients, lead searches, etc. Vs. being silo'd to one specific piece of the recruitment process (not as engaging/ dynamic imo) 4. Long Term/ Consultative Approach as a Business - We aren't a staffing firm. Our practice is focused more on the quality of the relationships we build than the volume. And most of the candidates we are in touch with are not active. We play the long game, and as such the role is more engaging as you get to be higher touch with candidates and clients and add-value by advising our partners. You are also offered quite a bit of autonomy if the trust is there. 5. International Opportunities - Once you are with a practice for a min of 2yrs, you have the ability to transfer to any office in the world (we have 65 office internationally)! RW CA truly keeps their word with this, and will help you make the transfer happen.

Cons

1. Large Public Corporate Company - this has its' advantages and disadvantages depending on what you value and what's important to you. But my nature of our size, there are parts of the culture that are a bit more "old school" in nature. Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who came from the start-up/ entrepreneurial world. All that to say, RW US leadership is quite progressive and for the last year has been implementing all sorts of new policies to foster more flexibility, tech optimizations, and trust in employees. It's been really neat to see the changes come to life, and it has positively impacted our culture even more. If the trust in you is there, they are very adaptable in making things work (i.e.: kids, health issues, geography/commute, etc.) 2. Can be longer hours, especially since we're building a business, but management is very upfront about this from the get go. Also - putting in the extra time is made easier, bc the work culture is fun, kind, collaborative and you know people always have your back.

Found 374 reviews