KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Robert Walters CEO Toby Fowlston
Toby Fowlston

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Apr 8, 2022 - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership really investing in it's people

Cons

Tough job - it is not for everyone but leadership does support and help you through the market

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great

Jan 29, 2022 - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great experience and opportunities to learn, meaningful work from the start

Cons

base salary, but the reason people are in agency recruitment is for bonus

3. 1.0

Terrible work/life balance

Dec 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Snacks in the office Great people International network of colleagues

Cons

Terrible work/life balance: there’s no time to say hi to one another everyone is so stressed out from management to perform. The stress trickles down to the way everyone treats each other which becomes the culture of the office. People have left the office crying at the pressure of every day. Unfair and antiquated management: they want things done a certain way even if it doesn’t work. Management has also said some misogynistic things. Lots of office politics to navigate through.

1 person found this review helpful

Robert Walters Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are committed to creating a comfortable, transparent and collaborative environment for all our employees so I’m disappointed to hear about your experience. Thank you for raising your concerns, we will look into these to ensure we are continuing to develop the best environment possible at Robert Walters. Our dedication and what sets us apart is that we are relentless about creating an amazing work culture at Robert Walters. I welcome the opportunity to have an in-depth confidential conversation about your experience as an employee, please feel free to reach out to me at nick.louca@robertwalters.com Kind Regards, Nick Louca Managing Director, Robert Walters New York

4. 4.0
    Former Employee

good

Sep 15, 2021 - Principal Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance in there

Cons

No much development space as it is stable

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Supportive and stable company with exceptional career opportunities

Jul 14, 2021 - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Responded to the pandemic in phenomenal way all things considered - Able to keep everyone employed during an unprecedented time, whilst most other recruitment companies were making lay offs - In the center of a booming market, consistent flow of business coming in from clients, new and existing - Supportive leadership with a flexible approach to the way we now work in response to the changes in demands since the pandemic - Opportunities are there if you want them, work hard and ask for what you want next, even if it can't happen right away you'll be given guidance on how you can get there - Diversity initiatives are there and you can tell there's meaningful work been put into this strategy in the past 18 months - Huge push on work life balance more so in the last 18 months than ever before - Unbeatable culture, collaborative and fun !

Cons

- For a while there was uncertainty about what the new normal would look like and took us a while to figure that out - The market is challenging at the moment with a candidate short market, so we have to work a bit harder to close people but we're empowered to do what we need to in order to make it happen

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people; fun and challenging work

Apr 7, 2021 - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

RW hires smart, fun, and diverse people and puts a big emphasis on developing and promoting from within. If you're new and don't have recruiting experience they do a good job of providing hands-on training. If you have been with the firm for 2+ years you can also transfer to any of the 30+ offices around the world and people have actually done this! Good work-life balance for an agency and while KPIs are important, they do not micromanage especially once you've proven yourself. They also do fun quarterly team-building events such as taking a field trip to the cowboy town in Half Moon Bay. Definitely recommend!

Cons

How bonuses are actually calculated has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Still, bonuses are generous and you do make good money

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Best Job I Have Had to Date

Mar 31, 2021 - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture of transparency, sincerity, quality of work, and collaboration

Cons

outdated crm tool, but are undergoing upgrade

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Experience with Opportunities for Growth

Jan 3, 2021 - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Robert Walters is truly a great place to launch your career in recruitment. Having had no prior experience, they provided me with really great training taught by fellow teammates and managers. They allow you to learn by doing on day one. Even though you get thrown in to searches rather quickly, in my experience, it was the best way to learn and you always had your manager there to support you and ensure everything was going smoothly until you felt confident to be on your own. RW SF has a truly great culture! It's a place where you want to spend time after work with your coworkers because they're a fun group and you really get to know them on more of a personal level.

Cons

It might feel like you're working longer days, but what you put in is what you get out. Also, when you do go on vacation, you know you always have your manager and team to support you, so you don't have to worry about it and can be completely offline.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great work environment and work that actually feels like a contribution.

Nov 29, 2020 - Summer Intern in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing work environment and staff.

Cons

Pay was a little low, but internships are more about experience.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to learn recruitment from incredibly intelligent, supportive, hardworking colleagues

Nov 11, 2020 - Associate Director in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Outstanding training. Managers and consultants were creative with organizing team-based book clubs, hosting lunch and learns (often by impressive candidates/clients), and other forms of less formal training in addition to carefully planned onboarding, overnight retreats, and office-wide training. I was even trained in London for management training and able to travel to various international and domestic offices. For someone without any experience in recruitment like myself, or for someone that has been in an environment where it's largely self-taught, it's a great place to hone your skills and develop confidence in your recruitment skills, market insight, and ability to advise candidates/clients. -Frequent touch points with both your direct manager and upper levels of management. Before RW I rarely had the opportunity to ask questions or discuss my career ambitions with my managers. I had never had regular 1:1s, team meetings, and appraisals that helped me feel like despite the day-to-day challenges I was progressing and growing. Simon, the MD, is very approachable, as are the directors and senior managers I worked with, and I always felt like they had my best interests when I was an individual contributor all the way through to a director.  -Quality of clients. Especially at the leveling RW covers, the reputation is stellar. There is tremendous goodwill in the market from many hard working recruiters going the extra mile and acting with integrity, and there is an impressive track record across nearly every domain within technology. You will be guaranteed to work with many of the fastest growing start-ups named on the Fortune 5000, and because of this you will have the opportunity to build a much better body of work and network than you would elsewhere.  -People. This is a cliche, but when you're working in an open floor plan in the professional services/sales, it really matters. We hired with careful discretion for culture, and I found myself in awe at the type of people we brought on board. You'll be surrounded by people that are driven and sharp, but also kind and modest. I remember a couple egos in the 6 years I spent, but I see a number that low as quite a feat.  -Career growth. Because RW promotes from within, and because there is career growth opportunities for people to build teams and step into management, there is absolutely zero reason a top performing recruiter shouldn't have the opportunity to rise the ranks. This is especially true given the office doesn't have the same hierarchy that others in the Group do, and because Simon and the management team have been creative with how to further split up teams and establish new functional specializations. It was really fun being part of these promotions and taking on more responsibility.

Cons

-Stress. This is inherent to any job in the professional services, and especially recruitment. It affects each individual differently, and I think it largely is a personal rather than company issue. There is always something you can be doing, and the highest performing recruiters need to work several demanding searches simultaneously if they want to achieve success. The company is understanding and supportive, but you will need to understand that at times you will have difficult conversations with candidates and clients, and you will feel overwhelmed.  -Hours. This is also inherent to recruiting and I never really had a problem with it as I haven't had a job before RW that was a strict 9-5. There are certainly successful recruiters that have managed a lifestyle that works for them at RW. Eventually, I was able to do this as well, but there were times where I knew I had to be always 'on.' The hours certainly have gotten much better as our network and tools are more efficient.

2 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 600 Reviews

Robert Walters Reviews FAQs

Robert Walters has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, based on over 1,025 reviews left anonymously by employees. 94% of employees would recommend working at Robert Walters to a friend and 90% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Robert Walters employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Robert Walters. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

94% of Robert Walters employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Robert Walters 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.8 for culture and values and 4.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Robert Walters to be management, culture, career development and the cons to be work life balance, compensation.

Popular Careers with Robert Walters Job Seekers