Robert Walters Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert Walters Chief Executive Officer Robert Walters
Robert Walters

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is really encouraged" (in 21 reviews)

• "Long hours, especially in the early days" (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Robert Walters - San Francisco, CA Office"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start a recruiting career from the beginning or refine your recruiting skills and learn from people who have been in the recruiting industries for many years!

Prior to joining RW, I had 3 years of inside sales experience and found RW as a great opportunity to make a career switch into a field driven by relationships & networking in person. It gave me exposure to a wide variety of business industries, helped me learn how startups are typically structured and broadened my business acumen.

HIGHLIGHTS:
    - the types of clients RW partners with in the SF office are venture backed tech startups primarily so there is a wide variety of industries to learn about, you get to meet with founders/CEOs/VPs/VC Firm Partners in an ever growing and hot candidate market in Silicon Valley where generally candidates are very opportunistic and open to speaking with recruiters.

- Team oriented environment leads to a really strong internal culture. This is not a boiler room/ cold-calling old school recruitment style environment, rather you are incentivized to work collaboratively as a team, helping your teammates as well as helping your clients & candidates find the perfect match which just feels like a win/win all around.

- on the culture note... ONE OF THE BEST! The office is large enough to have a variety of personalities for a diverse mix of thought but small enough that you really get to know your coworkers. Lots of people hang out together outside of work, quarterly offsites are always fun and planned with unique activities around the Bay Area and all around you’re guaranteed to laugh with supportive coworkers who genuinely care about each other. Plus they just moved the SF office into a snazzy new building that is really modern and has some of the classic tech startup perks (standup desks, snacks, coffee, ping pong, comfy chairs etc)

- there is more of an emphasis on being strategic with your clients/candidates, if you are a people person who values face to face coffees/lunches/meetings, you will do well here as leadership understands the value of getting out in front of clients/candidates in person.

- opportunity for transfers internationally or to other domestic offices is very real, RW is one of the few companies I know that make it easy and encourage any interest to work abroad with other offices (~60 office worldwide to choose from as well)

- Incredible philanthropic opportunities within the company like Charity Days & Fundraisers/Donations... I was lucky enough to go on a company sponsored volunteer trip to Kenya, Africa in partnership with a charity RW works closely with which was life-changing.

- Leadership will invest time in you, just take the initiative to show that you hustle and want to learn and it will pay off. Lots of upward growth potential and career promotions available as well.

Cons

- Long hours but truly it’s a sales job (and compensated accordingly which is nice) so that’s not anything outside of what you’d expect with other similar jobs - the harder you work, the more it pays off.

- It’s a bit of a learn by doing type of job, you will mess up at some point but be open to feedback with management and learn from mistakes.

- Tech platforms weren't the latest and greatest as you'd expect being in the Bay Area but recently before I left there was upgrades happening and leadership would ensure tech/tools that were needed (we did get Macbook laptops approved for example).

Advice to Management

Keep hiring those who hustle and embody the RW culture to keep things going strong!

2. "Perfect"

Current Employee - Consultant in Spain, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Spain, GA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time

Pros

Good place to develoo your career

Cons

I can not find a specific con

"Senior Consultant"

I worked at Robert Walters full-time

Pros

Learn a lot about the startup industry, thrown into projects pretty quickly. Always things to do, and you can make more money at this agency then most.

Cons

You were only valued if you were doing well. I saw people thrown out with no warning if they were having a rough quarter, people mistreated in the office, and people clearly the favorites because they billed well. It did not encourage career development. Even though its run by senior management, it operated more like frat house with people regularly getting way too drunk at events. Especially in the bay area, you can easily join a startup that pays way more and where people don't give you side eye for leaving after a ten hour day.

Robert Walters Response

Jan 10, 2019 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m really pleased to hear that you found plenty of opportunities to learn and get involved in projects as well as enjoyed good financial rewards... More

4. "Executive Recruiting"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Small, collaborative office
    - Supportive colleagues
    - Expertise in the field
    - Stocked snack drawer

Cons

- NY Market is tough
    - Managers have to bill too, so they focus on themselves

"An excellent place to work and grow your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Robert Walters San Francisco for over 3.5 years and can not recommend it enough for anyone looking to start and grow their career in recruitment.

Pros:
    1) The SF office works with VC-backed high growth startups which provides each consultant high visibility into some of the hottest companies in the Bay Area
    2) Each consultant runs their own desk (full-cycle recruiting) so you are creating your own relationships with clients and candidates
    3) Career growth - there is ample opportunity to hit promotion targets and grow within the company. There aren't set "promotion cycles" so you don't have to wait to get evaluated every 6 months or a year, but rather it's up to you to work towards your targets
    4) Office culture: The office is extremely close and during my time there we were all friends as well as coworkers. Quarterly trips to Napa, sailing, party trolleys, breweries and more were always a great time.
    5) The office is adapting: when I first joined we were a bit behind the curve in terms of technology given that RW is HQ out of London and not on the ground with the startup scene here, but now the office is adapting to offer flexible work hours, perks likes free meals and snacks, laptops and more.
    6) Compensation: Because we work on base + quarterly bonuses, if you are a top performer the earning potential is huge
    7) They invest in their employees highly with regards to training and career development
    8)International opportunities: During my time there we had numerous people either transfer to or from our office. They keep their word that if you do well and want to transfer internationally after 2 years, they'll make it happen.

Lastly (but a main selling point for me) is that RWSF operates more like a consultancy/recruitment firm than other "agencies" here. You aren't cold-calling or hammering at the phones, but rather focused on high-touch, high-quality senior searches. Management let's you have a lot of autonomy in the way you work, but are also always there for support and advice as you need it.

Cons

1) I'm not sure if this is a con, but this is not a startup - it's a mature, profitable company and as such there are parts of the job that are more "old school"than perhaps some other tech companies.
    2) If you're looking for a 10-5 job, this isn't for you. Success is what you put in, so naturally you can work longer hours at times. They were very clear with me when they hired that was the case, and knowing expectations going in really set me up for success.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring smart and driven people.

6. "Robert Walters NYC"

Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive team, great work nights out, management encouraged and helped you achieve your goals.

Cons

Can work long hours but hard work is always appreciated,

"Applicant Beware"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PTO
    Snacks & refreshments
    Laid Back environment

Cons

Some of the staff treat the admins as if they are maids
    Recruiters and other staff can be rude at times as well.
    Discrimination
    Salary is below average for an admin in NYC.

Advice to Management

If you want to diversify your office, accept and welcome all that comes with that employees identity, otherwise do not hire to fire, or do not bother hiring that person at all. Please be upfront about the image you want for your office prior to offering someone a position. No one wants to a leave a job to work for a company where they are treated unfairly. Enforce cleanliness, no one should have to pick up after another person.

Robert Walters Response

Aug 3, 2018 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’ve worked really hard to build a strong team culture that’s based on colleagues’ mutual support and respect so I’m really disappointed to hear... More

"Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Robert Walters (Less than a year)

Pros

The people there are very smart and the whole environment is competitive in a healthy way.

Cons

It can be stressful if you can't handle well

9. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

International Company with solid local contacts. I have been at Robert Walters for over 4 years and I have been able to build a great business with full support of the local management. They were very accommodating in getting me set up for success.

Cons

Since it's an International Company, I can only work on jobs in the United States.

Advice to Management

Keep things the way they are!

10. "Amazing and rewarding company to work for!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome colleagues, fun and team-focused work environment, weekly happy hours, and overall just a great company that cares about you, your growth, and your future!

I began working at Robert Walters closely after college in an admin role, and it's the perfect place to jump start your career, especially if you are interested in recruitment. Your work and efforts are always rewarded, recognized, and appreciated.

Cons

A few outdated and old school processes

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to give admins more responsibility!