Robert Walters Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert Walters Chief Executive Officer Robert Walters
Robert Walters

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is really encouraged" (in 19 reviews)

• "Sometimes you have to work long hours to get the job done" (in 29 reviews)

1. "Robert Walters NYC"

Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive team, great work nights out, management encouraged and helped you achieve your goals.

Cons

Can work long hours but hard work is always appreciated,

2. "Executive Recruiting"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Small, collaborative office
    - Supportive colleagues
    - Expertise in the field
    - Stocked snack drawer

Cons

- NY Market is tough
    - Managers have to bill too, so they focus on themselves

"An excellent place to work and grow your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Robert Walters San Francisco for over 3.5 years and can not recommend it enough for anyone looking to start and grow their career in recruitment.

Pros:
    1) The SF office works with VC-backed high growth startups which provides each consultant high visibility into some of the hottest companies in the Bay Area
    2) Each consultant runs their own desk (full-cycle recruiting) so you are creating your own relationships with clients and candidates
    3) Career growth - there is ample opportunity to hit promotion targets and grow within the company. There aren't set "promotion cycles" so you don't have to wait to get evaluated every 6 months or a year, but rather it's up to you to work towards your targets
    4) Office culture: The office is extremely close and during my time there we were all friends as well as coworkers. Quarterly trips to Napa, sailing, party trolleys, breweries and more were always a great time.
    5) The office is adapting: when I first joined we were a bit behind the curve in terms of technology given that RW is HQ out of London and not on the ground with the startup scene here, but now the office is adapting to offer flexible work hours, perks likes free meals and snacks, laptops and more.
    6) Compensation: Because we work on base + quarterly bonuses, if you are a top performer the earning potential is huge
    7) They invest in their employees highly with regards to training and career development
    8)International opportunities: During my time there we had numerous people either transfer to or from our office. They keep their word that if you do well and want to transfer internationally after 2 years, they'll make it happen.

Lastly (but a main selling point for me) is that RWSF operates more like a consultancy/recruitment firm than other "agencies" here. You aren't cold-calling or hammering at the phones, but rather focused on high-touch, high-quality senior searches. Management let's you have a lot of autonomy in the way you work, but are also always there for support and advice as you need it.

Cons

1) I'm not sure if this is a con, but this is not a startup - it's a mature, profitable company and as such there are parts of the job that are more "old school"than perhaps some other tech companies.
    2) If you're looking for a 10-5 job, this isn't for you. Success is what you put in, so naturally you can work longer hours at times. They were very clear with me when they hired that was the case, and knowing expectations going in really set me up for success.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring smart and driven people.

"Applicant Beware"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PTO
    Snacks & refreshments
    Laid Back environment

Cons

Some of the staff treat the admins as if they are maids
    Recruiters and other staff can be rude at times as well.
    Discrimination
    Salary is below average for an admin in NYC.

Advice to Management

If you want to diversify your office, accept and welcome all that comes with that employees identity, otherwise do not hire to fire, or do not bother hiring that person at all. Please be upfront about the image you want for your office prior to offering someone a position. No one wants to a leave a job to work for a company where they are treated unfairly. Enforce cleanliness, no one should have to pick up after another person.

Robert Walters Response

Aug 3, 2018 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’ve worked really hard to build a strong team culture that’s based on colleagues’ mutual support and respect so I’m really disappointed to hear... More

"Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Robert Walters (Less than a year)

Pros

The people there are very smart and the whole environment is competitive in a healthy way.

Cons

It can be stressful if you can't handle well

6. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

International Company with solid local contacts. I have been at Robert Walters for over 4 years and I have been able to build a great business with full support of the local management. They were very accommodating in getting me set up for success.

Cons

Since it's an International Company, I can only work on jobs in the United States.

Advice to Management

Keep things the way they are!

7. "Amazing and rewarding company to work for!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome colleagues, fun and team-focused work environment, weekly happy hours, and overall just a great company that cares about you, your growth, and your future!

I began working at Robert Walters closely after college in an admin role, and it's the perfect place to jump start your career, especially if you are interested in recruitment. Your work and efforts are always rewarded, recognized, and appreciated.

Cons

A few outdated and old school processes

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to give admins more responsibility!

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Branding and lots of excitement and spirit in the market.

Cons

Poor Management, HR and hiring is total mess. Lots of confusion and miscommunication

Advice to Management

Get a new HR, Paychecks, Policy, and conflicting issues keep coming up.

Robert Walters Response

Feb 28, 2018 – HR

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are really proud of the strong brand we’ve built in the market and it’s great to hear you see that as a positive.

I’m really sorry to hear... More

"World Class Training and Career Opportunities"

Current Employee - Vice President Technical Recruitment in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Technical Recruitment in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started my career as a Recruitment Consultant at Robert Walters more than a decade ago. I decided to join Robert Walters because their profesionalism, infrastructure and support for someone coming into the industry with no recruitment experience but most importantly for their training and development.

Robert Walters offered me a career not just a job and the opportunity to work overseas if I was interested.

I started my career as a consultant in Australia and moved my way up to Director level. After several years in our Sydney office I had the opportunity to move to San Francisco to start a new discipline within the business.

Lot's of people ask me why I have stayed with Robert Walters for so many years and my response has been always the same. What makes Robert Walters different to other businesses is their people!

Cons

The San Francisco market works very different than the rest of the world and the way that Robert Walters operate globally its very different than this market however there has been a lot of changes so the business is operating with the market standards.

Advice to Management

To continue listening to the employees and take the feedback onboard

10. ""Great culture, great opportunities""

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing colleagues, inspiring leadership team and a work place that develops their people. The management team are approachable and have designed a number of training programs that enhance both your development and business acumen. As long as you work hard, you have all the tools at your disposable to carve out a very successfully career. The company are making great strides and have hired some great people, if’s an extremely exciting place to be right now.

Cons

It’s a hard job and can be taxing at times but if you are passionate about your industry it can be very rewarding!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing – Hire great people, listening to them and retain them.