Robert Walters Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Walters Chief Executive Officer Robert Walters
Robert Walters

Pros
  • 1/ young and international working environment (in 22 reviews)

• A well established system with good training and a good team based approach but also giving you the sense that you are running your own business (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long working hours, work/life balance could be better (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours, especially in the early days (in 17 reviews)

1. "Toxic recruitment environment"

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- casual work environment.
    It's very hard to think of any pros given how far behind this environment compared to others.

Cons

- no career development
    - boys club management team
    - managers care more about their billings than there team.
    - none existent bonus's
    - no collaboration or direct vision
    - be careful they don't sell you on false benefits

Advice to Management

Create more collaboration across teams so everyone can be successful and be rewarded with bonuses no just the managers.

May 25, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your opinion and take all employee feedback seriously. It’s disappointing to hear that you feel this way as we pride ourselves on being professional and ... More

"Not a great experience"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working team who collaborated together.

Cons

poor management and growth opportunities

Advice to Management

open communication

Jan 18, 2017 – HR

It is unfortunate that you didn’t have a great experience at Robert Walters, but we understand that recruitment is not for everyone. The management team at Robert Walters in New York has been ... More

"Don't believe a word"

I worked at Robert Walters full-time

Pros

There are a couple of decent people who work there, free milk.

Cons

Office is run by someone who may have once been fit for purpose but is now dictated to by 'senior' staff who are exclusively self-serving. Targets kept purposefully unclear and really is an utterly depressing environment. Go and interview at any one of the thousand other recruitment firms in NYC and save yourself the bother of having to deal with the BS environment and people.

Advice to Management

'Management'? If asking about head office in uk I would suggest a deep review of how NYC is run.

Nov 30, 2016 – Global HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear about your impressions of the office. Many of the team in New York have had long-term careers with us over many years so we don’t think your ... More

"Horrible place and people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I can't think of one pro there is nothing positive about working at Robert Walters New York. Horrible atmosphere and not nice management

Cons

People talk behind each other's back then smile to their face. A lot of bad attitudes. The 'higher' up thinks he is all that. What a joker!

Advice to Management

Be more respectful to your employees.

"Two Thumbs Way Down!"

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few nice people in the office who actually care. Can not say that about everyone though. A couple of good clients. Two solid billers in the whole office while the rest are mediocre.

Cons

People are Micro managed from day one. No freedom to build your book of business on your own terms as managers don't allow members of their team to reach out to entire banks if they know one person there. Strict following of KPIs regardless of results. Absolutely awful leadership and communication. Certain managers decide to come and go as they please. Not a great place for woman to work due to the things that are said in the office. This is the furthest thing from a team culture.

Advice to Management

Theres a reason that this is one of the most underperforming branches of Robert Walters and it only has 17 recruiters in New York city. Start paying people what they deserve and maybe they will stick around. Also treat all employees the same and don't let one person do whatever they want.

6. "Consultant"

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people and data base. Very efficient way of working, and competitive atmosphere.
    If you do well, everything is fine.

Cons

1.poor management
    2.extremely disrespect employees
    3.inhumane
    People don't care about your personal value, only money money money. That really really hurts.

Advice to Management

Money is not the only thing about business.

Jun 28, 2017 – HR

We’re sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your time at Robert Walters. However we are glad that you did appreciate the efficient way of working and your colleagues. We always strive to provide our ... More

7. "Not recommended"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Pros

None. There are no good things about this company unfortuately.

Cons

Worst company to work for. They favor people that they like. The turnover is huge. And I will never recommend people to work for this company.

Looking for a start in your carreer skip this company.

Advice to Management

Really hard to give advice to a management that refuses to listen to employees.

8. "Worst playground ive ever stepped foot in"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

Pros

there is none, nothing, nada.

Cons

this company is a shambles!its like working in a mean girls set, very sexist and the pay is even worse!

Advice to Management

stop getting drunk every night

"Snobby"

I worked at Robert Walters full-time

Pros

I honestly can't think of any pro's at my time with RW. Maybe the fact that the offices are beautiful and in a lovely location. That is all. There is a lot of room to grow but I couldn't last that long.

Cons

I felt as soon as I started I got treated like a temp, not a permanent member of staff. My colleagues seemed to judge me from day one, I also didn't recieve proper training because they were short staffed at the time. People are rude, unhelpful, and considering I came from a completely different background and tried my best, it was very difficult to fit in. This company is incredibly judgemental and snooty in my opinion and I wouldn't dream of working in a company like this again.

Advice to Management

Look after your staff and train them properly. To feel important and valued as part of a team is one of the most important things in a new place of work and that is how you keep loyalty of staff.

Apr 24, 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry to hear that you were not happy with your experience working at Robert Walters. We are committed to providing a supportive atmosphere ... More

"The worst job I ever had"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent basic salaries (aka golden handcuffs)
    Managers are never around as always at San Carlos - can do what you want

Cons

The "team bonus" structure is a lie - bonuses are paid to consultants who are favoured by senior management, but certain teams receive nothing at all.
    Working hours excessive. Add to this the constant stream of mandatory events in the evening that are always unpaid, and you easily spend over 60 hours a week at work. (These events never generate any revenue for you).
    Systems are a nightmare to use, not encouraged to email from Outlook as every single email has to be put on the system so you can be micromanaged.
    Managers flip from totally ignoring and neglecting their team to micromanaging during month end when they realise that their team isn't going to hit target.
    Sexism beyond anything I thought was real in 2016 which is why they have never been able to retain a receptionist for longer than 3 months.
    A strong encouragement to "party" - if you don't go out drinking with them you will never be promoted.
    Rarely work with any SMEs, most clients are PSL volume businesses where consultant has zero control over process and works as a CV sending machine,
    Absolutely no training other than 1980s DVDs played in a board room by hungover management who don't turn up to 70% of the sessions.

Advice to Management

Pay bonuses, be present, put an end to the laddish culture