Robert Walters Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Robert Walters Chief Executive Officer Robert Walters
Robert Walters

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 1/ young and international working environment (in 27 reviews)

• A well established system with good training and a good team based approach but also giving you the sense that you are running your own business (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance could be better (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours, especially in the early days (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic career opportunities and development"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I work as part of the management team at Robert Walters and have been in the business 9 years this year. Having started as a junior consultant working within the front office, with hard work and commitment, I was promoted to manager of my team and then the wider division. Consequently 7 years later, another opportunity presented itself to oversee a back office function broadening my career, proving this business rewards and recognises hard work and dedication.

- Fantastic career opportunities both within the UK and globally
    - A supportive and collaborative environment with a dedicated training team
    - Hard work however highly rewarding
    - Encouragement to build and develop client relationships through client entertainment
    - Generous basic salaries
    - Encourages entrepreneurial thinking
    - A supportive and encouraging management team with an open door policy
    - Annual incentive weekends at various global destinations for high achievers, the next incentive is in Thailand!
    - Charity days which are great fun
    - Summer sports days

Cons

- The hours in recruitment can be long however the role is so busy there is very little time to clock watch!

2. "World Class Training and Career Opportunities"

Current Employee - Vice President Technical Recruitment in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Technical Recruitment in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started my career as a Recruitment Consultant at Robert Walters more than a decade ago. I decided to join Robert Walters because their profesionalism, infrastructure and support for someone coming into the industry with no recruitment experience but most importantly for their training and development.

Robert Walters offered me a career not just a job and the opportunity to work overseas if I was interested.

I started my career as a consultant in Australia and moved my way up to Director level. After several years in our Sydney office I had the opportunity to move to San Francisco to start a new discipline within the business.

Lot's of people ask me why I have stayed with Robert Walters for so many years and my response has been always the same. What makes Robert Walters different to other businesses is their people!

Cons

The San Francisco market works very different than the rest of the world and the way that Robert Walters operate globally its very different than this market however there has been a lot of changes so the business is operating with the market standards.

Advice to Management

To continue listening to the employees and take the feedback onboard

3. ""Great culture, great opportunities""

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing colleagues, inspiring leadership team and a work place that develops their people. The management team are approachable and have designed a number of training programs that enhance both your development and business acumen. As long as you work hard, you have all the tools at your disposable to carve out a very successfully career. The company are making great strides and have hired some great people, if’s an extremely exciting place to be right now.

Cons

It’s a hard job and can be taxing at times but if you are passionate about your industry it can be very rewarding!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing – Hire great people, listening to them and retain them.

4. "Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing colleagues. Great training. Outstanding work experience ! Unique insights to new start ups all over the bay area and great opportunities to network with the best of the best in SF!

Cons

Sometimes you have to work long hours to get the job done

Advice to Management

Love the flexibility, keep it up! The snack are great, would love more. Work from home would be nice

5. "Great culture, career development opportunities, and earning potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time

Pros

- Extremely lucrative if you work hard
    - Young employees (mostly British expects), lively environment
    - Very competitive, money driven
    - Incentives (ex: vacation in luxury destination for great sales performance)

Cons

- Long hours + high pressure
    - You have to be on your toes at all times to not fall behind, can be exhausting

6. "Great place for a long-term career!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The SF office is a great environment to grow your career and build a strong foundation in sales, relationships, and business acumen. You gain exposure to a ton of different tech startups, executives/Founders, and a fantastic network that you wouldn’t have the chance to if you were recruiting internally at one company or even other agencies.

The culture and teams in this office are extremely supportive and set you up to succeed for the long-term, whereas some recruiting agencies are known to set very aggressive short-term targets and are not forgiving if you don’t achieve these targets. The culture here is incredibly genuine and friendly where it’s easy to make friends not only at work, but also outside of work with all the office events, off-sites, happy hours, etc.

It’s a place where you can have fun, but at the same time work hard and feel professionally challenged. Your desk is like a platform to launch your own recruitment business and network, and as hard as you want to work is as successful as you’ll be with generous base salaries and an even more generous uncapped bonus system.

One of the best things about the company overall is the opportunity to transfer abroad to any one of the Robert Walters global offices, which span almost 30 countries worldwide. If you’ve ever wanted to work internationally, the company has the resources and global mobility network to support you wherever you want to take your career.

After over 2 years in this office, I can still confidently say that it’s truly an incredible company and place to work.

Cons

Although the SF office is more technologically progressive than other Robert Walters offices worldwide, some of the systems and processes are a bit inefficient. If it wasn’t in SF, it might not even be an issue. But being in the tech hub of the world surrounded by companies constantly updating and using more advanced systems makes it relatively seem like the office is a bit lagging.

However, the office here has been making big strides recently, such as trying out new tech recruiting platforms, granting employees laptops and more flexible working hours, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job hiring genuine people. The employee headcount growth in this office hasn’t been 10X per year like some of the other emerging markets, but I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing. Having a mid-sized office with a fantastic team fosters a great environment to succeed, versus adding a ton of headcount and higher turnover.

Overall I think the mindset of leadership here is very open to listening to the opinions of employees and furthermore actually delivering on employee requests by doing what they can to get flexibility on more traditional corporate company policies.

7. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a place to gain some great foundational recruitment skills and have high visibility with some of the biggest VCS and startups around, then the RW SF office is definitely the place to be. Even as a new consultant, you own your full recruitment cycle -- getting both the client and candidate exposure.

There is also excellent career growth and earning potential if you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

This is being improved on as they recently implemented laptops and flexible hours, but just good to keep in mind that while RW may partner with startups, it is a publicly listed company so some things can feel a bit bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Keep developing more training for on the job learning.

8. "Great intro into tech recruiting"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As someone with no tech experience, there was fantastic onboarding to teach me about the basics of recruiting, the tech scene, and the roles I'd be recruiting for. Great culture with tons of events and bonding. Compensation is super fair, and very open to feedback.

You can make it what you want, if you want to work hard and create your own desk/business, they'll give you all the tools.

Cons

Can be hard work life balance in the beginning, but it comes with time, and eventually you're up to speed and more efficient.

9. "Intern"

Current Intern - Internship in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Internship in New York, NY

I have been working at Robert Walters as an intern

Pros

Warm and friendly environment. Everyone is courteous and respectful, but they all have fun too. They made me feel like I belong and that I matter so it was quite different from my other experiences, especially in a corporate office.

Everyone is highly professional and incredibly skilled at what they do. The office elevates you to their level without feeling to stressed or pressured.

Cons

As an intern, work can be boring or monotonous (data entry, google searching). So at times, it can be difficult to stay focused or to feel totally involved.

10. "Great Company, Culture & People!!"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Out of the companies I've worked for in the past, RW is one of the best. With the opportunities that they provide as far as learning and global mobility, it is by far an exceptional organization with a lot of room for growth. Personally, I can say that recruiting is not for everyone. As such there are some bad reviews based on their individual experience, however, if you are dedicated and focused then you will go far here. Plus after 2 years, they have an awesome global mobility policy that allows you to transfer to another one of their 56 offices around the world in 28 countries, and the opportunities to move up from an Associate to a Manager, up to a Director are vast. Hard work is key. The Managing Director's door is always open if your manager isn't around and you have questions. Happy hours and working alongside great co-workers are just an added bonus!

Cons

Every company has some cons but I'm truly hard pressed to think of any. I've had a great experience during my career here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up the great environment and culture!