Robert Walters Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Walters Chief Executive Officer Robert Walters
Robert Walters

Pros
  • Positive, supportive working environment (in 21 reviews)

• A well established system with good training and a good team based approach but also giving you the sense that you are running your own business (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long working hours, work/life balance could be better (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours, especially in the early days (in 17 reviews)

"Great Opportunities / Incredible People"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Robert Walters has an impressive track record of identifying incredible people from diverse backgrounds. They provide excellent training and support while getting ramped up, whether you arrive with prior recruitment experience or not. Robert Walters has a culture of promoting from within and the leadership cares deeply about helping you develop personally and professionally. There is a strong performance-based culture, but if you put in the time and effort, you will be recognized for your hard work and rewarded financially. Management in San Francisco leads by example and goes above and beyond to provide opportunities for success and development. Advice to anyone who is considering a role here: be prepared to work hard and leave your ego at the door. The office is made up of a group people who have amazing work ethics, remarkable achievements, and a lot of humility too – a “your success is my success” type of environment.

PROS
    Autonomy: space to work independently and manage your own day, but lots of support as and when you need it

Growth: clear KPIs and path to promotion with achievable targets

Collaboration: everyone is truly invested in each other's success

Exposure: access to leading VC's, start-up founders / entrepreneurs, and the Bay Area’s top talent

People: the people at RW are diverse, self-driven, motivating, inspiring, and fun! Work hard and management will continue to open doors for you

Culture: performance-driven and fun. This office takes time to celebrate each other's success often and partakes in quarterly off-sites & plenty of informal happy hours

Recognition: strong culture of recognizing individual achievements, authentically

Cons

Long hours, especially in the early days. That’s sales though, so not unique to RW

Firm hours where you need to be in the office / lack of flexibility, but improvements have been made in this regard and I expect this will continue to evolve

Outdated technology

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to upgrade tech-stack. Weekly one-on-one meetings with direct managers are great for addressing job specific questions or concerns, though more mentorship-related initiatives with other managers (or even peers) could be beneficial as well.

2. "Best Coworkers I Could Ever Ask For!"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture (the office is full of positive energy, work hard play hard type of environment, regular team building, happy hours etc)
    Team (very high bar for hiring, everyone is smart, motivated yet humble and all teams work collaboratively, there is constant cross selling)
    Clients (growth stage startups, have direct access to hiring managers who are CTOs, CMOs, CFO, COOs or founders/cofounders, lots exposure to exec team)
    Training (the group and top management take learning & development seriously, there are regular professional training as well as on the job training)
    Rewards (lots very achievable incentives both locally and globally i.e there is a global incentive trip every year for top performers)
    Growth (company is still relatively small compare to other offices so lots of growth happening in the next few years, great time to join and be part of the growth)
    Office location (hands down best view in SF city)
    401k (there is match after 1 year)

Cons

I wouldn't say these are cons but definitely needs improvement
    Tools & Technologies (lack of hellosign, dropbox, google hangouts, slack, etc but management is aware is trying to improve)
    Flexibility (work from home, sick leaves, doctor appointments etc but definitely improving)

Advice to Management

Have a softer approach on arbitrary rules
     - we hire highly self motivated people, motivation should come from within
     - its important to implement changes but also monitor feedbacks

"Former Executive Recruiter"

Former Employee - Former Executive Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Former Executive Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall I had many great experiences working as a recruiter in the NY office (despite the tough times of 2008). In particular, I enjoyed the collaborative team environment and my supervisor was always upfront / honest. I have a lot of respect for the President in NY (he has over 20 years recruiting experience) and I would work for him again any day.

Cons

I don't know where these negative reviews are coming from because I only had positive experiences during my time working here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been for many years!

5. "Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment. You are given all the tools needed to succeed. Manager of the NY office is extremely knowledgeable and patient and makes sure his people are happy and well prepared. I learned an enormous amount from Kurt in my time there and am forever grateful.

Cons

Times Square in NYC is not the most ideal office location if you want to eat lunch on a Wednesday:-). Kidding aside, its a commission based business so not for the weak or faint of heart.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

6. "One of the Best Companies to Work For!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The RW New York office exudes a phenomal company culture and it is one of the friendliest environments that I've ever worked in during my 15 years in the workforce. There's so much opportunity in this organization, no matter what department you work in. If you have the desire and drive to succeed, there's no end to how far you can grow and go within Robert Walters. They have offices in 23 countries around the world and there are constant opportunities to move ahead and challenge yourself, you just have to be determined. There are great perks and incentives as well!

Cons

Can't think of any cons...seriously.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great working environment!!

"Great Time in the San Francisco Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with the RW team for 2.5 years and loved it.

- Excellent culture with a great team of people
    - The management encourages a life outside of work, quarterly events, regular off-site training, etc.
    - Great place to build a really strong network for your career if you love the tech/start-up scene
    - RW is way less sharky/pushy than other Recruitment agencies in SF. Everything is very quality > quantity
    - Solid base salary and lucrative bonuses, especially as you get promoted (which there's tons of opportunity to do so)
    - Re-emphasizing: Great team. I've made some great friends and contacts from working there that have set me up with a number of job offers and long term growth

Cons

Its a full-desk recruitment job, so managing Business Development and a full cycle recruitment can be very high-stress. On top of that you're given a ton of autonomy and responsibility so while the team is more than happy to continuously help/train you, management is relatively hands-off. If you don't know how to get past a stressful couple of months every now and then, its probably not for you.

Advice to Management

Get better software. The job is great but the ATS is ollllld.

"Robert Walters Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employed for 2 years at RW. Worked with very talented and hard working group. The managing director/president sat in the same room as we did, and therefore was always available to speak with and give great advice. He set a solid example for all to follow.

Cons

The only con was not RW's fault.
    The USA went into a recession and I moved on to a position with one of my clients in Real Estate in NYC.
    The money is there for the taking if you put in the effort at RW!

Advice to Management

Keep doing all those great client events!

"Really positive environment"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Positive, supportive working environment
    Experienced management
    Successful office
    Great client base

Cons

Lots of hard work
    The San Francisco tech start-up market is exciting but complex and challenging

10. "Office Manager"

Current Employee - Office Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best experience I've had in my professional career! I work with an incredible and diverse group of people - from all across the world - creating a unique work environment full of intelligent, hard working individuals with colorful personalities. This particular location embodies the "Work hard, Play hard" mentality. The staff is extremely supportive of one another which explains their consistent success. Above all, I must praise the management team who continues to promote from within and value their staff more than any company I've worked for in the past. The managing director is particularly fantastic. His passion and love for this location/company shows every day. I feel like an important, even vital, piece of this puzzle which is an invaluable feeling that does not come easy in the business world. Hard work is definitely rewarded here and I would recommend this company to any of my peers.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about this company. I am very happy here.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within, reward your hard working employees, and inspire new employees with your excellent mentorship!

"Fantastic Collaborative Learning Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY

Pros

Great management who cares about the staff and works hard daily to develop them. Cordial, fun work environment. Every day was a fun, new experience. Learnings and best practices are shared freely by all senior staff and leadership through both formal meetings and ad hoc gudance. The perfect place for a new recruiter just starting out or a seasoned pro looking to up their game or mentor the next generation.

Cons

Sales can be a tough racket. This is not for everyone but if you have the drive and the passion, the leader of this firm's NY office will make it his mission to get you to be the best you can be.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I miss my days there immensely and wish you all the best.

Robert Walters Response

May 22, 2015 – Global HR Director

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review. We're very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time working at Robert Walters.