Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

3.3
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital President and CEO Steve Jones (no image)
Steve Jones
Pros
Cons
  • "understaffed, low pay compared to other hospitals(in 8 reviews)

• "Toxic work environment - stay away(in 8 reviews)

1. "Get your Foot in the Door"

5.0
    Former Employee - Patient Monitor in Somerville, NJ

I worked at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people were very friendly at Somerset. You get to learn so much about the healthcare industry working part time while being a student.

Cons

They were sometimes very understaffed in the nurse float department.

2. "Great place"

4.0
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good team work and competitive pay

Cons

Lack of communication and efficiency by team

3. "Thoughts"

Former Employee - Patient Representative in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital full-time

Pros

There are a few moments where you feel satisfied with helping but it comes very few times.

Cons

Very stressful. No room to grow. It doesn't pay well for the work that you do.

4. "Good"

4.0
    Current Employee - Material Handler

I have been working at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice atmosphere and team organization

Cons

Big campus with lots of departments so its alot to keep track of

5. "Do not work here."

1.0
    Former Employee - Mental Health Associate in New Brunswick, NJ

Pros

There are no pros to working here.

Cons

You receive no support from management. I was forced to restrain a patient by myself (after asking for help multiple times) and when I spoke up about how wrong this was (especially considering restraining patients in general was not something I should have been doing under my job title), management and HR did everything they could to force me to quit. The intense stress of working here took a severe toll on both my physical and mental health. Do not work here; it will most likely be nothing short of an awful experience.

Continue reading

"Somerset Campus - Terrible place to work as a RRT"

1.0
    Former Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Somerville, NJ

I worked at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well...The staff in housekeeping and maintenance are nice.

Cons

If you are a RRT, do yourself a favor and steer clear of this dungpile. They don't want Respiratory Therapists, they want robots to sign off on paperwork so they can bill for respiratory therapy. Things you will do: - listen to pointless griping and micromanaging by the incompetent management staff. - be a cog in the machine and not a critical thinking staff member. If you aren't, this facility has a ridiculous "incident reporting" system that encourages the staff to write-up every little issue rather than working through person to person as adults do. - deliver so many non-indicated therapies that they border on fraud in order to help shore up the abysmal revenue this facility has. Things you won't do: - Intubate, place arterial lines, or any other skills that are at the high end of RRT scope of practice. - Enjoy any autonomy. - Work with professionals and be treated as such. Imagine a middle school complete with cliques and bratty attitudes. Now give them healthcare licenses and you have RWJUH Somerset. Oh, and they pay terrible compared to other facilities in the area as well.

7. "Great Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Staff RN in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay, teaching hospital, lots of opportunity to learn & grow your skills

Cons

Trade off for the great pay is the union that only serves the needs & requests of the senior nurses--new people will be screwed with getting vacations approved, scheduling, or anything else the senior nurses call dibs on. Extremely political, lots of pandering to people's egos. Teaching hospital, so it's great for learning but also means everything will take longer because you're dealing with residents most of the time & waiting around for the attending physician. Management not very supportive due to fear/avoidance of having to deal with the wrath of the union.

8. "rn review"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital part-time

Pros

friendly environment , management is helpful

Cons

the salary is low compared to other hospitals

9. "Outpatient facilities have varying atmospheres"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Hamilton, NJ

Pros

- Largest health system in NJ

Cons

- Management is very distracted from treatment in regard to therapist needs, out of sight out of mind is clear here - Double standards are evident

10. "Nurse's Aide"

Current Employee - Patient Monitor in Somerville, NJ

I have been working at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital part-time for more than a year

Pros

Big system with different employment opportunities to move up and around to different departments,

Cons

Can be impersonal, not an intimate work environment

Found 246 reviews