Robots and Pencils Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Robots and Pencils CEO Michael Sikorsky
Michael Sikorsky
  1. Featured Review

"Innovative work; Follow the Talent"

Current Employee - Buil

I have been working at Robots and Pencils full-time for more than a year

Pros

R&P is an ever changing and growing company who puts their talent first. Leadership provides us with a stage to perform our best works on. I enjoy the opportunity to work elbow to elbow with extremely bright and talent people who share their passion in developing customized software solutions.

Cons

As with any fast growing company, there are ebbs and flows. Empowerment is something that is still being learned.

Advice to Management

Discuss strategy and vision more often and during monthly All Hands meetings.

Robots and Pencils2019-08-01

August 13, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! We truly appreciate your honest comments. Talent is at the heart of R&P, and we are glad that glows through our culture. Making our All Hands a monthly company event is something that we just started experimenting with this year. We appreciate your ...

2. "Great Talent - Great Leadership - Great Company"

Current Employee - Talent Allocation Administrator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Robots and Pencils full-time for less than a year

Pros

Despite some of the bad / scary reviews on Glassdoor, I have only had amazing experiences with Robots and Pencils. The atmosphere is amazing and the leadership is so supportive and mindful of career growth. I have been given so many opportunities at R&P to grow and learn. One of the best perks is being able to work remote / from home. I can work on my schedule and in the comfort of my home. I would 100%... recommend R&P to any candidate looking for a job.

Cons

Because of demanding client expectations, overtime is sometimes needed. However, if you do put in the extra effort and work extra hours, most of the time, they will give you a thank you gift - depending on if you are paid overtime or not.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Support the talent and strive for the best.

Robots and Pencils2019-07-27

August 6, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! We're so excited to hear you're enjoying your time at R&P. We will continue to evolve and fine tune our internal processes to always be a place where you can grow and develop your talents!

"A Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Robots and Pencils full-time for more than a year

Pros

Engaged, motivated, curious talent who are #alwayslearning and skilled at lifting each other up. I have never heard anyone here say "that's not my job." This company is more than a team; it feels and acts like a family. Proud to work with such a top-notch group of folks. It really helps me step up my own game.

Cons

Since we're all so spread out, team-building outside of projects can be tricky.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - keeping the talent at the center of everything we do!

Robots and Pencils2019-05-06

May 29, 2019Director of Talent Acquisitions and Allocation

Thank you for your feedback! We're thrilled to hear you're enjoying your time at R&P - and we will continue to work to always be a place where you can grow and develop your talents!

"You can't sit with us."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Robots and Pencils full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some lovely, intelligent, and genuine people working at Robots and Pencils. There was an option to work from home.

Cons

Robots and Pencils are the Mean Girls of tech. Unfortunately, the company values preached by leadership were not practiced. Read the reviews from past employees and take them seriously. Honestly, I don't know how the company "leadership" sleeps at night.

Advice to Management

Not sure how to give advice to someone who clearly doesn't listen.

Robots and Pencils2018-06-08

July 31, 2019

We truly apologize for your negative experience working at Robots and Pencils. We value all comments from current and past team members and will use them to help us grow. Our goal at R&P is to follow the talent and strive for the best -- and like all growing organizations, it ...

"R&P feels like a great fit!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Robots and Pencils full-time for less than a year

Pros

I recently interviewed at R&P and went through my own internal "where is the next best career step for me?" decision process. Of course, reading reviews on Glassdoor was one of the many factors I considered - but I want to share a pattern I noticed across many reviews and what I think of the feedback now that I've joined the team for some time. Many "con reviews" cited ultra fast-paced work environments, lack of... direction, rapid growth, and work-life balance. As I was reading through some of them, I was thinking to myself "this sounds perfect." I enjoy working in fast-paced environments that challenge me just beyond my comfort zone but still provide a safety net as I'm pushed to grow, and the rapid growth and subsequent lack of direction is a fantastic opportunity for those of us who like to lead, work autonomously or have a hand in figuring out what the work processes can be. So far, R&P has been a great fit and a very exciting place for me to work, specifically because of the reasons many former employees complained and left.

Cons

Having to work with a few people who belong in predictable, monotonous, 9-5 banking environments. They accepted jobs here without knowing, realizing or caring about the fact that they do not thrive/enjoy the work environment that R&P provides, so that can make collaborative work difficult.

Advice to Management

The company vision is great! Keep it up!

Robots and Pencils2016-11-17

"Android developer"

I worked at Robots and Pencils full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart people to work with. Learned a lot of good things. They have a set of guilds for Android, iOS, etc, that tries to keep everyone up to date

Cons

My first project was scheduled to last only 6 weeks of dev time, but the first thing we did was do an agile-style estimate that said it was more like 3 months of work. Should have known right then management had no clue how to properly set a customer's expectations. Probably should have known that despite all the happy HR horsekrap they gave on making sure employees are valued, taken care of, corrected when... necessary, etc. I would be dropped immediately once the budget was blown and they'd have to cut costs. Right at 3months, I got a call at 3pm that I was fired and a courier arrived at 430 to pick up my laptop. So much for the happy HR horsekrap. This was a full-time remote position. I like working at home, but the company isn't very good about including remote team members in anything except daily stand ups.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Learn how to win customers without giving away the app for nearly free in the hopes it will pay off later.

Robots and Pencils2016-07-26

"Strong, growing & improving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Robots and Pencils full-time

Pros

One of the core drivers of R&P's success is a consistent drive toward seeking out and cultivating talented employees. Its about people, not 'resources'. There is a healthy culture, based on immutable core values, that persists across regional boundaries and time zones.

Cons

The office is located at a community work space, which is good or bad depending how you look at it. The company is growing and some things are in flux, although this has greatly diminished lately.

Advice to Management

Keep development teams together across projects, in order to build the strongest possible agile development teams. This is really hard to do at times, but will pay massive dividends in the long run.

Robots and Pencils2016-03-22

"Fantastic Group and Positive Growth"

I have been working at Robots and Pencils full-time for less than a year

Pros

The co-workers are fantastic and smart and caring. Being considered a remote employee doesn't really matter. You are included in everything the team does and everyone cares. We are constantly growing and we always have new things to work on. Every day is exciting!

Cons

We are a fast pace company and we are growing quickly. While not a bad thing, not everyone enjoys a fast pace environment.

Advice to Management

Keep caring about your employees. Keep looking for the unicorns and the people that will continue to make this company great!

Robots and Pencils2016-03-28

"Lies and Manipulates to Staff/ Employees"

Former (By Choice) Employee

I worked at Robots and Pencils

Pros

Engineers and Artists are hard workers, however they don't get compensated very well for their work.

Cons

The owners lie and manipulate to the employees. They promise, but don't deliver! They speak ill of the majority of employees, they praise you to your face and throw you under the bus the next moment. The owners believe they are your parents and you are paid to be their children. In the weekly news letter the owner signs "Dad". The owners of Robots and Pencils have a very abusive attitude toward you, the employee.... They refer to employees a their "slaves". If you confront them on something, or question them they get mad and refuse to speak to you. They will degrade your work and find fault with it and will let others know the wrong you may have down. If you want to feel bad about yourself and your work and want to be ultimately verbally abused come and work for this company. To the current employees, run fast and far to get away from this company that was at one point going somewhere, now it is only getting worse!

Advice to Management

Stop lying and manipulating to your employees. We all end up knowing what horrible things you say about us, both former and current employees. If you had faith in yourselves and employees as well as your business, and not manipulated everyone you could have grown R&P into what was possible at one time.

Robots and Pencils2016-01-27

"Everyday is a new day"

Current Employee - President in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Robots and Pencils full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you want to be challenged daily and work along side some extremely talented and tough people - this is the place for you.

Cons

We make custom software. It's not for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

Keep being diligent in hiring.

Robots and Pencils2015-10-22