Roche Bros. Supermarkets Reviews | Glassdoor

Roche Bros. Supermarkets Reviews

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gary Pfeil

Pros
  • Great people to work with, good customer service (in 8 reviews)

• They have very flexible hours week to week which makes it ideal for the changing schedule of a high schooler (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Only 1 day off if your full time (in 6 reviews)

• But this comes with every customer service poisition (in 4 reviews)

1. "Left broken hearted"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downtown Crossing, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downtown Crossing, MA

Pros

The downtown crossing store is beautiful. Amazing fish dept

Cons

Giant boys club that walk around pointing out negativity all over the company but the actual work these "boys" do is minimal. A company stuck in the past. Use to be a company people were proud to work for. All people do is complain about the company. Changed benefits, took employee discount away, poor wages unless you've been there since high school and you are now in your 40's. If you are a manager you are expected to work 6 days, is that a better family quality of life schedule?

Advice to Management

If you are going to do something do it right. Put a full working dept in order before opening a store. No dept. left behind.

"This company is going downhill"

Current Employee - Clerk in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Roche Bros. Supermarkets part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

5% discount, accrued vacation time for part timers, time & a half pay on Sundays

Cons

Lack of communication between main office & stores, customer service priority is disappearing, managers show little to no appreciation of employees, pay is not reasonable and annual pay raises are insignificant, weekly schedules are often posted less than 12 hours before the week begins, main office does not take employees seriously, and threatens punishment more than offers rewards

Advice to Management

Since Pay & Bud passed away, this company has begun to fall apart. It is clear that no one cares for this company's future or its employees any longer. Morale is incredbily low in the stores and customers can see it, too.

"My impressions?.. I do not like the company."

Current Employee - Cashier/Service Clerk in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Service Clerk in Needham, MA

I have been working at Roche Bros. Supermarkets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Few of the employees are some of the best people I have ever met.

Cons

You get a break every 5 hours NOT 4 hours. Employees are supposed to get a break every 4 hours, but no one seems to care. If you ask them they just make up a fake reason why it cannot be 4 hours. I signed up to be a bagger and a cashier. I end up not cashiering and instead doing chores around the store in other departments. Sometimes I have to clean the ceiling with a broom or do the grocery sections job, these are not the jobs I signed up for. I wouldn't mind doing these chores every now and then, but I end up doing them every day. The management makes us put up a "cart fence" around the flowers outside so no one steals them. This is a complete waste of time, anyone could unhook the carts or easily jump over and take anything they please. Some of the employees are downright irritating, some do not even do their job at all but the management will still yell at you to do stuff and not other employees.If you are a veteran worker you can get away without doing anything, if you know the manager you get away with almost anything too. The manager runs around and does everyone else's job and is very rude when you accidentally mess up. The hours are all over the place, you could be working 7am to 10am then the next day 11am to 9pm. You don't get the next week's schedule till Saturday (the day before the next working week.) This store is downright disorganized and I don't usually complain this much. This stuff has been going on for so long that I had to write a review.

Advice to Management

I am only seventeen and I can figure out and analyze all of the dysfunctions in this company. The company thinks it comes before everything else even school. I had a supervisor try to get me to skip school to come work a shift at 7am. This needs to stop, you need to get a well balanced work force. I cannot be doing everyone else's job every single day. I work very hard, I want to be treated like a human being, not like a work slave. There are some very hard workers here, I look up to them, but I even see them being treated like nothing. If I call in sick I get a very rude attitude from the supervisors, it makes me feel like I did something wrong when I did nothing wrong. The customers can be very rude but I can deal with that, that's my job to deal with them. I did not realize I had to deal with very rude employees and higher ups. I've never complained about a job, my education, my responsibilities like I am complaining about Roche Brothers. When I was a customer I thought that working here would be very nice and friendly, but that changed very quickly when I started working. I'm not lazy I can do my job and I am not complaining about having to work, I am complaining about being disrespected. My co-workers, my family, my friends, and customers all agree with me. Please fix your system, i'm not trying to be disrespectful. Thank-you.

5. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Millis, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Millis, MA

I worked at Roche Bros. Supermarkets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with the employees because they are very nice.

Cons

Management changes every so often that it is hard to build a relationship with the managers. Also, employees are not treated with respect and are used. For example, they don't give you enough hours, but when it's your day off they call you in whenever they feel like it. Management treats it's employees like children. The uniform policy is not nice at all. I even had a customer tell me I look stupid wearing the uniform. It was a terrible company to work for. People that worked there for a while told me that it was never like this. That it was actually fun going to work there, but ever since the new management came in it has become all about the money. They make it seem like it's the best company to work for which is why I started working there. But you don't know the facts until you start working there. Would not recommend it. Almost everyone I talked to did not like the job because some supervisors and managers were just making it so hard. Customers were particularly rude.

Advice to Management

You're not better than the employees. Stop acting like you are.

"Going downhill"

Current Employee - E-commerce Picker
    Current Employee - E-commerce Picker

I have been working at Roche Bros. Supermarkets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, most department managers are okay, great coworkers

Cons

management pretends to care about employees but only cares about backing up each others' lies. If you're a good worker they'll give you more responsibilities without any promotion/pay raise

Advice to Management

don't promote people who aren't qualified just because they're your friend; listen to employees' actual complaints.

7. "Student Front End Clerk"

Pros

Getting to know customers well

Cons

Low pay, rigid managerial systems, tedious work

8. "Cashier"

Pros

easy job
    very flexible hours
    easy to get time off
    can take a leave of absence which allows you to come back after a semester at college

Cons

high overturn of management so the enforced regulations are constantly changing
    coworkers are often miserable
    ugly uniforms

Advice to Management

management needs to pick their battles more wisely and focus on things that will actually affect the customers opinion (such as not placing as much emphasis for the cashiers to stand three feet in front of the cash register)

9. "deli"

I worked at Roche Bros. Supermarkets part-time

Pros

time and half sundays so thats decent

Cons

cheap owners and asshhole coworkers

Advice to Management

go efff yourselves

"Not a great experience."

I worked at Roche Bros. Supermarkets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most employees were friendly and fun. Pay was decent. Best part about the job was being with employees.

Cons

I worked in a store...

Not too many people seemed to actually enjoy working there and it brought the morale down. Roche Bros. tries to instill this friendly, customer-service oriented culture (which is great) but it felt more like a chore to uphold than something people actually wanted to do. I know for me it was hard to get behind them as a company, which translated to it being difficult to support their culture and values.

The public image of Roche Bros. is this friendly, great company to work, but that quickly changed as soon as you started working there.

I despised dealing with "corporate" when they would tell our department what to do, and take strolls through the store checking up on everything. It's the classic case of corporate workers being disconnected from their workers on the ground doing the tough work.

I also didn't enjoy dealing with store management because they were immature and ineffective leaders. Most of the time it felt like a complete joke and I was back in high school.

I was only part-time because I NEVER wanted to go full-time with them. As soon as you went full-time they pretty much "owned" you (exact words said to one of my friends) because they could transfer you to any of the stores located in MA. If you didn't want to be transferred then you either dropped down to part-time, or you had to leave the company. Some people would be transferred multiple times a year.

Work/Life balance sucked, even for part-time. The schedules would change constantly and they would call people in on their days off. Full-time workers only had one day off a week, and everyone would work Sundays. I never fully understood if they were allowed to have two days off a week or not, but I do know that no full-time worker had more than one day off a week.

Customers were brutal at times.

Advice to Management

The tradition and culture of the original Roche Bros. loses its integrity as it gets spread out among multiple store locations. Employees would respect the core values better and not think it was a joke if more competent managers were employed, better training was provided, and "corporate" actually worked with the store-employees.

"Bad Culture"

Pros

Good schedule flexibility and decent pay

Cons

Workers have bad attitude and can get over dramatic

Advice to Management

Set a better example to younger employees