Rochester Armored Car Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun but no benefits"

Former Employee - Armored Car Driver/Guard in Sioux City, IA
    Former Employee - Armored Car Driver/Guard in Sioux City, IA

I worked at Rochester Armored Car (More than 8 years)

Pros

Getting to know your repeat customers and driving on the open road

Cons

Low pay for the responsibility and having to carry a firearm, benefits are horrible. They probably still would not even offer health insurance if they were not forced to by Obamacare. No Overtime. Not sure how that is even legal.

Advice to Management

Offer better pay and benefits to attract better personnel and retain good employees.

"Driver"

Former Employee - Armored Driver/Guard in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Armored Driver/Guard in Rochester, MN

I worked at Rochester Armored Car part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will pay for your CC license. That is about it! A chimp with a hammer could do better running the branches.

Cons

This company! Bunch of want to be cops! Classic blue collar workers, complain about everything; then they wonder why they hate their life.

Advice to Management

Sellout to Brinks!

"Horrible, horrible job"

Current Employee - Vault Teller in Pharr, TX
    Current Employee - Vault Teller in Pharr, TX

Pros

None. Management especially including newly promoted management need management classes. Screaming and degrading employees is not right.

Cons

No proper training at all. Scolded at every turn for not knowing enough. How about some training. Rediculous. Everyone dislikes management severely.

Advice to Management

Get some management classes. Condescending, intimidating, gossiping about sleeping with married men is not appropriate, completely unprofessional. Cash room.

4. "Driver/ Messenger"

Former Employee - CDL-B Driver/Messenger in Brownsville, TX
    Former Employee - CDL-B Driver/Messenger in Brownsville, TX

Pros

good place to work good hours

Cons

very low pay trucks always breaking donw

Advice to Management

good management always taking advantge of him

"Don't work here if you can help it."

Former Employee - Armored Car Messenger/Driver in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Armored Car Messenger/Driver in Omaha, NE

I worked at Rochester Armored Car full-time

Pros

- Fairly easy job.
    - Can expect consistency day-in and day-out.

Cons

- Trucks are kept in very poor shape.
    - Loading/unloading area is a filthy garage.
    - Family-run company, so absolutely no room for growth beyond a point.
    - Management doesn't seem interested in hearing concerns of employees so they might improve their company.
    - No employee break area and bathroom is gag-worthy with awful plumbing.
    - Some employees think very highly of themselves with their "piece" strapped to their side.
    - The family members who run payroll are completely unqualified and can hardly go one pay period without screwing something up.

Advice to Management

Once the older family members retire, I have no faith in the sons running anything.

6. "Just don't do it"

Current Employee - Counting Clerk in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Counting Clerk in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Casual wear, work shirts provided (eventually), can talk to your co-workers at your leisure, can stretch legs when ever needed

Cons

Too many to mention but here are a few - low pay, dirty conditions, lack of management, blantent favoritism, lack of communication, not enough chairs for all employees to sit so they're forced to stand up all day, no benefits

Advice to Management

Tell management to do there job and quit playing favorites, pay the drivers overtime when they earn it, fix vehicles

"I would never Apply or Work here Again!!"

I worked at Rochester Armored Car full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In Short Great Oppurtunity to drive and or go to various locations and work. Some great guys to work like fmr U.S. Military Co- Workers and plenty of work hours to go around.

Cons

To many to list/ A SERIOUS LACK OF MANAGEMENT MISCOMMUNICATION And Disgruntled older guards who have been around way to long. Quite a few of immature young guys that show off and talk to much! and to much is never good with something like this.

Advice to Management

Better communication with your lower echelon of employees!!! Be extremely careful of your hiring practices too many strange and out of the Twilight Zone! weirdos working here!

8. "just don't"

Former Employee - Armed Guard
    Former Employee - Armed Guard

I worked at Rochester Armored Car full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer a lot more than 40 hrs a week. They pay for some certifications like CPR and Conceal and Carry. It is an experience to drive an armored vehicle. A few ex-mil co workers.

Cons

Vehicles at our shop were definitely not up to code. About a third of the trucks lacked air conditioning (its not fun being cooped up in for 12 hrs in 100+ degrees while wearing the thick uniform). They do not do a good job screening for qualified candidates, a lot of want to be tough guys, alcoholics, and strange folk. There is no over time or any compensation for the extra hrs you put in. It is 2 guys to a truck, I think the standard is supposed to be 3.

My experience may differ from others though, my advice is steer clear. Find another source of work or look into other companies like Brinks.

Advice to Management

Fix vehicles and pay attention to the type of people you hire.

"Do not apply!"

Current Employee - Messenger in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Messenger in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rochester Armored Car full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some pretty bank tellers. Some of the accounts are fun to go to everyday.

Cons

Probably too many to list. But I will say management is a joke because unless it has something to do with the route, no help is given. I've been with this company for 8 months and I was supposed to have watched all the "Integrity" movies but have not seen them. This is supposed to make me over the $10hr mark. Plus another for professional carry, but have not see that yet either.
        Half of the employees think they are commandos and I'd just rather avoid them. My partner before he left was a crazy lunatic waving his gun all the time and pointing it out the gun porthole. Now I've been running the route myself for 3 months. You also get no OT due to some loophole with the job description. Holidays are just nuts and double routes are mandatory and must be done before banks close. This makes the job very stressful and speeding is implied.
         While your working to supply ATM machines you must watch your own back because the driver wont. This means while your focused on working on the ATM machine, you can not watch your back at the same time and people walk up to you before you can notice them and most will have a serious attitude because they say they are entitled to use that ATM. I personally have gotten into verbal disputes with people because they will not back away from my ATM and open truck full of money.

Advice to Management

A higher rate of pay for what we do should be given and the bar set higher for new hire personnel. This may keep/bring valuable employees instead of showing us that we are expendable fodder.

10. "toughin it out 'till i can find something else"

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

Pros

can work well over 40 hours a week. company pays for CDL and passport (where needed for work). it's a really good temp job while looking for a police position. you're in one of the toughest vehicles on the road. and lets not forget the occasional cute bank tellers (best part).

Cons

you will never get overtime pay due to a labeling loophole in your job description. employee reviews are nonexistent. you will receive raises roughly once a year based on management favoritism over any actual performance. promotions are rare. getting time off is difficult at best.

Advice to Management

when hiring please set the bar a bit higher. considering what we do having extra people on staff isn't a bad thing. also considering the risks we take daily it would be nice not to be treated as a disposable resource.