Rochester General Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 60 reviews

3.2
Rochester General Hospital CEO Eric Bieber
Eric Bieber
  1. "Good work enviroment, benefits are attrocious"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people, ususally well staffed, enjoyable place to work

Cons

shift differentials are terrible salaries are low holidays are non negotiable (no trading) health insurance is limited to GRIPA providers most of which do not accept new patients and severely limit mental health services

Rochester General Hospital2016-06-25

"Good things and Bad things"

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital

Pros

I'm a current RN at RGH. There are more new nurses in this hospital than experienced nurses. All the experienced nurses seem to be jumping ship for the higher pay at a competitor. This impacts patient care in some significant ways, both good and bad. You will definitely get enough hours. You will likely work days and nights, probably on the same schedule. There is awesome equipment available to protect your back.

Cons

There is a great deal of turmoil here right now. The hospital is in the process of merging with other, smaller hospitals and trying to standardize care across those hospitals. This is causing some uncertainty in a few policies and procedures. The clinical ladder is virtually impossible unless you are good friends with your manager. Staff pays to park. There always seems to be a new member of middle management, but there...

Advice to Management

Work a little harder on staff retention at the bedside level. We see our leaders in the news as being some of the highest paid in the state, yet our pay and benefits aren't even keeping up in the state.

Rochester General Hospital2016-06-08
  3. "RN ICU"

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital full-time

Pros

- RGH is a Magnet hospital. - great NEW staff members, the older staff members take their positions for granted. - The patient always comes first. - One of the busiest EDs in NY state. - Slight better pay than its competitor, Strong Memorial Hospital, but Strong has 90% tuition reimbursement which is HUGE!!!!!!

Cons

- Hard to move into different units b/c of hiring freezes, hospital is merging with other hospitals around the Rochester area and beyond. - Cost cutting is noticeable - short staffed at times. - It's easy to move into different units and move up the career ladder if you're friends with the manager.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the freeloading staff and focus on the high achievers, otherwise they will leave and you'll keep the rotten tomatoes forever

Rochester General Hospital2016-05-11

"Not sure what this means"

Former Employee - Unit Secretary in Palm City, FL

I worked at Rochester General Hospital for more than a year

Pros

Was an excellent job because you were always busy.

Cons

Under no real management, and a lot of people were trouble makers

Rochester General Hospital2016-04-10

"Anesthesia tech"

I worked at Rochester General Hospital

Pros

Gained a lot of experience

Cons

Didn't really like to work with people going back to school even though they say they will.

Advice to Management

When a single parent is trying to better themselves and choosing to go back to school to do that, and it was agreed upon it would be helpful to accommodate their needs instead of making it harder for them.

Rochester General Hospital2016-03-29
    • "Patient Transporter"

I worked at Rochester General Hospital part-time

Pros

Ability to meet and help so many people.

Cons

Understaffed. sometimes there is just no easy way to satisfy the level of capacity the hospital was at.

Rochester General Hospital2016-03-02
      • "hospital job"

Former Employee - Physician in Rochester, NY

I worked at Rochester General Hospital

Pros

flexible hours and great work environment

Cons

I can't really think of any.

Advice to Management

none

Rochester General Hospital2016-02-18
      • "Mixed review"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Rochester General Hospital

Pros

Pay, co workers, patients, offered conferences, paid for recertification of AHA courses

Cons

Managemnt has favorites; unfair treatment of employees

Advice to Management

Take time to get to know employee; try to help your staff and not just help the organization

Rochester General Hospital2016-02-14
      • "nursing"

Former Employee - RN III in Rochester, NY

I worked at Rochester General Hospital for more than 10 years

Pros

great staff, and excellent physicians. enjoyed working here, and was sad to leave, the unit that I worked on (ICU) was staffed well. The pace was busy, pay was average

Cons

I loved my nurse manager- she worked along side us, and was fair. She did not show favoritism. Unfortunately, she retired, and the new manager, although approachable will never fill her shoes

Advice to Management

work with your staff, put on a pair of scrubs so that you understand what demands are made on your nursing staff- be a team player

Rochester General Hospital2016-01-02

"Great working environment"

Former Employee - RN III in Rochester, NY

I worked at Rochester General Hospital

Pros

Great co-workers, excellent benefits package, extremely friendly working environment

Cons

Employees have to pay for parking, group within human resources known as talent acquisition are totally useless

Advice to Management

RGH is probably one of the best health care facilities to work for in the Rochester area. Every department I worked in had a total commitment to patient and family care. Unfortunately, I found the biggest problem to be with "talent acquisition." No one in that department EVER answers the phone. It has also been my experience that no one ever returns calls. In my opinion they need a total overhaul from the top down!

Rochester General Hospital2015-12-04