Rochester General Hospital "patient care" Reviews | Glassdoor

Rochester General Hospital Employee Reviews about "patient care"

Updated Feb 20, 2019

Found 60 reviews

3.2
Rochester General Hospital CEO Eric Bieber
Eric Bieber
Pros
  • "Good teamwork when it really counts, good patient care but only because it helps the numbers(in 6 reviews)

• "Great co-workers, excellent benefits package, extremely friendly working environment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Would like RGH to offer the best continuing education benefits in the community also(in 4 reviews)

• "No value and respect for medical research(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "patient care"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Extremely short staffed, with no nurse's aids."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Holiday Pay Friendly coworkers, Doctors are friendly

Cons

VERY short staffed. Patient ratio of 7:1, with some very acutely ill patients. Shortage of Patient care techs as well. Pay is not great. Benefits are not competitive. I have been through 3 managers in the past year and 1/2 of working here. The turnover is awful. Staff burn out quickly and management does not seem to take notice. Low staff morale.

Advice to Management

They need to increase benefits. Make this a place people would like to work by offering competitive salaries. Needs a nursing union to protect nurses since this hospital does not protect their nurses.

Rochester General Hospital2019-02-20
  2. "Working here is just so so"

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital full-time

Pros

Cons

No 403B match but Unity has it despite being part of the same system,

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees more

Rochester General Hospital2018-12-27
  3. "DO NOT WORK IN G1 PHSYCH"

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

satisfaction from Patient care & Learning and meeting diverse individuals.

Cons

everything about this job was a nightmare.

Advice to Management

communicate and involve yourself more.

Rochester General Hospital2017-11-11

"Better places for nurses to work for sure!"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Rochester, NY

I worked at Rochester General Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Innovative Facility Competitive Salary Majority of physician are great to work with Fantastic patient care

Cons

Horizontal violence among nursing staff and unit managers is horrific. If you speak up about inappropriate behaviors or treatment/bullying, you are not supported by management or HR. Favoritism runs rampant on the units. Nursing assignments are not divided equally and the nurse-patient ratios are unsafe.

Advice to Management

Treat staff equally. Lend a hand on the front lines when understaffed. Get rid of the managers that do not run cohesive units and maintain retention of the nurses. Obviously if turnover rates are high on specific units, then those managers are not effective!

Rochester General Hospital2017-09-11

"Good things and Bad things"

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital

Pros

I'm a current RN at RGH. There are more new nurses in this hospital than experienced nurses. All the experienced nurses seem to be jumping ship for the higher pay at a competitor. This impacts patient care in some significant ways, both good and bad. You will definitely get enough hours. You will likely work days and nights, probably on the same schedule. There is awesome equipment available to protect your back.

Cons

There is a great deal of turmoil here right now. The hospital is in the process of merging with other, smaller hospitals and trying to standardize care across those hospitals. This is causing some uncertainty in a few policies and procedures. The clinical ladder is virtually impossible unless you are good friends with your manager. Staff pays to park. There always seems to be a new member of middle management, but there...

Advice to Management

Work a little harder on staff retention at the bedside level. We see our leaders in the news as being some of the highest paid in the state, yet our pay and benefits aren't even keeping up in the state.

Rochester General Hospital2016-06-08

"Unit Tech"

Former Employee - Cashier Or Stocker in Rochester, NY

I worked at Rochester General Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Patient Care, EKG"S, Blood Draws, Medical Secretary,

Cons

None That I can Think Of.

Advice to Management

Very Reliable, Held Last Job For 38 Years.

Rochester General Hospital2015-07-16

"Patient Care Technician in the adult Emergency Department"

I worked at Rochester General Hospital part-time

Pros

Motivated, intelligent nurses, PAs, NPs, and physicians to work with. High patient volume, fast-paced work environment which keeps you busy. Good 401k benefits.

Cons

The patient care technicians I worked with were not necessarily very motivated or hard working, which made working there difficult at times.

Advice to Management

It seems as though it would be more beneficial to hire young, motivated professionals as patient care technicians with aspirations of higher education and learning so that they will have a greater passion for the job and therefore be more efficient and enthusiastic about what they are there to do.

Rochester General Hospital2015-05-12

"It's ok for the most part."

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital

Pros

I feel the patients are the best part of working here. I am a patient care technician so Im with the patient mostly throughout the day. If you are planning to become a registered nurse or physicians assistant, then this would be a good place to start out to get the hands on experience.

Cons

I feel like we don't get enough credit for doing what we do. I also feel like there are some lazy nurses who can't, no won't empty a bedpan or a commode because they want the techs to, so it is a very frustrating issue when we (the staff) are supposed to be there for the patients & everyone isn't chipping in.

Advice to Management

Management should stand their ground & reinforce issues that are not being done right.

Rochester General Hospital2014-10-29