Rochester General Hospital "rgh" Reviews | Glassdoor

Rochester General Hospital Employee Reviews about "rgh"

Updated Feb 20, 2019

Found 60 reviews

3.2
Rochester General Hospital CEO Eric Bieber
Eric Bieber
Pros
  • "Good teamwork when it really counts, good patient care but only because it helps the numbers(in 6 reviews)

• "Great co-workers, excellent benefits package, extremely friendly working environment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Would like RGH to offer the best continuing education benefits in the community also(in 4 reviews)

• "No value and respect for medical research(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "rgh"

Return to all Reviews

"Good things and Bad things"

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital

Pros

I'm a current RN at RGH. There are more new nurses in this hospital than experienced nurses. All the experienced nurses seem to be jumping ship for the higher pay at a competitor. This impacts patient care in some significant ways, both good and bad. You will definitely get enough hours. You will likely work days and nights, probably on the same schedule. There is awesome equipment available to protect your back.

Cons

There is a great deal of turmoil here right now. The hospital is in the process of merging with other, smaller hospitals and trying to standardize care across those hospitals. This is causing some uncertainty in a few policies and procedures. The clinical ladder is virtually impossible unless you are good friends with your manager. Staff pays to park. There always seems to be a new member of middle management, but there...

Advice to Management

Work a little harder on staff retention at the bedside level. We see our leaders in the news as being some of the highest paid in the state, yet our pay and benefits aren't even keeping up in the state.

Rochester General Hospital2016-06-08
  2. "RN ICU"

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital full-time

Pros

- RGH is a Magnet hospital. - great NEW staff members, the older staff members take their positions for granted. - The patient always comes first. - One of the busiest EDs in NY state. - Slight better pay than its competitor, Strong Memorial Hospital, but Strong has 90% tuition reimbursement which is HUGE!!!!!!

Cons

- Hard to move into different units b/c of hiring freezes, hospital is merging with other hospitals around the Rochester area and beyond. - Cost cutting is noticeable - short staffed at times. - It's easy to move into different units and move up the career ladder if you're friends with the manager.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the freeloading staff and focus on the high achievers, otherwise they will leave and you'll keep the rotten tomatoes forever

Rochester General Hospital2016-05-11
  3. "Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Caring for patient is the best feeling & helping other in need

Cons

Downsides of working @ RGH not having enough people to work on a unit, being short handed

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to have the nurse help out more with the tech.

Rochester General Hospital2015-10-24
  4. "great"

I worked at Rochester General Hospital

Pros

loved my time at rgh. awesome co-workers and managers

Cons

wages could definitely be better

Rochester General Hospital2015-09-01

"Senior Leadership, Human Resources and New CEO"

I worked at Rochester General Hospital

Pros

Unfortunately, I do not have any Pro's besides the few friendships I will take away with a few co-workers that I was sad to leave behind.

Cons

To set the stage for someone that does not know, the merger was a complete take over of Unity by RGH Leadership. They have single handily taken out most of the Unity folks in the organization. The culture is nonexistent, they have no value of their employees and a complete disregard to forming a culture. This is all being driven from he "RGH...

Advice to Management

The Executive Leadership Team and Board need to open their eyes. The word on the street is RRH is NOT the place to work, it is the place to run from. - For health care and careers opportunities.

Rochester General Hospital2015-09-01

"Clinical Nurse I"

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital

Pros

Opportunities for career mobility and advancement

Cons

RGH only compensates you 30% for going back to school to obtain a higher degree, whereas neighboring hospitals offer much more compensation

Rochester General Hospital2015-06-26

"There is a team approach to patient care"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Rochester General Hospital for more than 10 years

Pros

Patient centered care, management open to concerns and suggestions for improving the quality of care we give. Very proud to hear from friends a family about the great care they or someone they care about has received at RGH.

Cons

Would like RGH to offer the best continuing education benefits in the community also.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work including welcoming input from all.

Rochester General Hospital2015-01-20

"Phlebotomist"

I worked at Rochester General Hospital

Pros

Free parking - very family culture atmosphere. Competent employees with years and years in the field. Great manager employee relationships. Respect amongst coworkers . I loved working at RGH. I only resigned because I moved out of state. They are continuously working on improving policies. Regular raises and regular evaluations. They were the best! I was able to go back to school and change my schedule as needed.

Cons

The schedules were inconsistent. They are posted 2-3 weeks before hand but a final isn't sent till the Thursday or Friday before. And even then you are required to float at any given time. As early as 5 am that day. Most labs work this way. Just takes an flexible employee to deal with it daily. I put 2 years in and it does wear you down, when it interferes with family life and Dr's appts. Especially in the winter months...

Advice to Management

None- they take criticism well daily from current employees. And they listen.

Rochester General Hospital2014-11-10