Rochester Midland Reviews | Glassdoor

H.D. Calkins

1. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Randleman, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Randleman, NC

I have been working at Rochester Midland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work for

Cons

The pay is very low in my opinion

Feb 27, 2017

So glad you enjoy working at RMC ! We are hard at work at some training and career development plans. We want everyone to reach their potential while working at RMC by providing a learning ... More

2. "great company"

Current Employee - Warehouse in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Rochester Midland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

love my job and what i do.

Cons

i dont have any down side

"Great Family Owned Company!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamlin, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamlin, NY

I have been working at Rochester Midland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The folks I work with are very nice people to work with. The atmosphere is professional and there is air about my work environment that makes it pleasant to come to work each day. There is also a high amount of empathy for the employees. I have seen many improvements over the years and I am glad I have chosen to keep working at Rochester Midland.

Cons

As with any company there is room for improvement, however, any perceived cons of working for Rochester Midland often outweigh the pros. In my opinion the company has attributes that shift in the positive direction. Those with a positive attitude learn to work through the challenges. The company does its best to make improvements.

Advice to Management

Continue to make improvements to processes and continue to keep us competitive and efficient.

Jul 27, 2016

Thanks so much for sending in your review. We strive to make RMC a place that balance work and personal time! As fairly new Co-CEOs, we are looking to make a positive impact with forward-thinking ... More

5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Rochester Midland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

RMC is a great place to work. They promote from within. I have received three promotions in the 13 years I've worked here. I feel as though good performance is appreciated and rewarded here. The benefits are good including salary, personal time, vacation time (that was recently increased), Health Care and a Wellness Program that is truly outstanding! The Senior Management team is made up of a group of dedicated, intelligent people making good ethical as well as business decisions. There is good communication between Senior Management and the rest of the company via a quarterly newsletter, an anonymous 'Ask Management' forum on the intranet and periodic global meetings. There is a formal required Annual Performance Appraisal process as well as a 90 day Leader Manager Review that allows for open dialog between an employee and their supervisor which I think is very important. The company is big enough to offer opportunities to all, yet small enough that at Corporate at least, you feel as though you know most of your coworkers. I feel as though my fellow employees are my second family.

Cons

The profit sharing although annual, has not been substantial.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay in touch with the employee population by having state of the company meetings and updates. It's important that we all feel we are part of the big picture.

Oct 6, 2016

We appreciate your input and value your insight. Besides the informal lunches this year, we'll be holding another "Town Hall meeting" before the end of the year to make sure everyone stays current on ... More

"The employees make this a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

I believe that most senior leaders have a true interest in the development of employees and appreciate the value that employees bring to the Company. The employees, for the most part, are exceptional to work with.

Cons

While implemented with the best of intentions, there are too many new "programs of the day". Pick ONE and follow it through to the end so that leadership credibility is not being questioned by so many. Also, there are a few people who don't believe that a company's success is dependent on employees working as a team. They are too self-focused. Either help them understand the importance of team work, and make them accountable, or weed them out.

Advice to Management

See above regarding program of the day.
    401(k) match - thanks for having one, but it's time to step it up.
    Think about ways to keep employees engaged that won't cost money (work life balance options would be a good place to start).

Oct 6, 2016

We appreciate the input on all the areas mentioned above. We need to do better communicating how our programs link, as there are defined strategies that incorporate the programs we've selected. It's ... More

7. "RMC Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

Family owned company, nice people, good products

Cons

Do not wish to comment on any cons

Advice to Management

Do not wish to provide advice to management at this time

8. "Family-owned; nice people, limited brand awareness"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Rochester Midland (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the folks at RMC are nice and many of which I worked directly with are talented.

Cons

Lack of brand awareness in some markets limits the company's opportunity for growth.
    They think global, but lack the focus on penetrating the close-go-home markets (US). Lots of US markets where there is no coverage.
    On the sales side of the business, there are a couple managers in the company discouraging good employees, resulting in turnover. That needs to stop.

Advice to Management

Focus on personnel; offer competitive comp program to attract the right talent, reward performance, and invest in markets where there's no coverage. Identify root cause of why good people are leaving and build an action plan to correct this.

9. "regional manager"

Former Employee - Senior Executive Sales in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Executive Sales in Rochester, NY

I worked at Rochester Midland (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for .

Cons

None just keeping up with price with competition .

Advice to Management

Spend more attention on the big producers .

10. "Love the job and the company but not the compensation, commission, or opportunity for advancement."

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Rochester Midland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family run business. Owners genuinely care about the personal lives of the employees.

Cons

Pay is below industry average. Commission percentages have been taken down to the point where there is little financial reward for growing territory. I have doubled my sales in two years and annual income has remained the same because of commission erosion.

Advice to Management

Fix the commission structure for the sales team. Lower minimum purchase requirements, be more competitive on product cost. Benefits and 401K are below industry standards.

11. "nice"

I worked at Rochester Midland full-time

Pros

nice place to work, great people

Cons

limited opportunity, no room for growth