Rocket Fuel Rocket Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

Rocket Fuel CEO Randy Wootton
Randy Wootton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Business strategies & initiatives slow to produce results of growth (in terms of stock price etc) but heading in the right direction (in 10 reviews)

• Typical growing pains of a fast-growing company, but nothing glaring (in 9 reviews)

"Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Rocket Scientist in Redwood City, CA

Pros

1.Nice Workplace.
    2.Great People and Technology.
    3.Inspiring Management Team.
    4.Flexible timings and work life balance.
    5.Very Good Free lunch.
    6.Good dinner and snacks.
    7.Competitive pay.
    8.Lots of fun.

Cons

I dont have anything to say here.

Advice to Management

Please continue the great work and keep the cool culture.
    It would be nice if you we can avoid few GMO snacks in Kitchen(like Oranges) and get some Organic Ones.

Sep 2, 2016 – Employer Representative

Thanks for the review. Glad you are enjoying your experience at Rocket Fuel.

"On the upturn"

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Rocket Scientist)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Rocket Scientist)

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Smart people
    * Laid-back work culture
    * People are cautiously optimistic about company's future
    * Competitive pay
    * Good health insurance

Cons

* Remnants of cynicism
    * Average to mediocre benefits (stock purchase plan, 401k match) with exception of health insurance
    * Older tools (Hipchat vs. Slack, etc.)
    * Organizational inertia; certain processes hamper efficiency
    * Some cultural things -- lack of due diligence regarding documentation, code cleanliness, bug report descriptiveness
    * Some issues with upper-level management & strategy; does not affect day-to-day life but leaves one questioning the long-term future of the company

Advice to Management

The engineering team is strong. Have the PMs and upper management develop a better understanding of the industry, and identify areas where our product is falling behind smaller competitors.

More clear roadmap and identification of development priorities.

Put stock in what engineering managers / directors are saying.

Jul 8, 2016 – Employer Representative

Thank you for the review. We couldn't agree more - the engineering team is very strong. We have increased our communication and input from engineering around our product and customer to ensure we... More

"In make or break stage"

Current Employee - Senior Rocket Scientist (Software Engineer) in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great people to work along with (although with recent attrition rate, the number is diminishing)
    - chance to learn how to build a product on scale from scratch, monitoring it's success, great emphasis on ownership
    - chance to have a great impact on engineering processes.
    - the scale of technology is really huge, it also means chances of optimization/enhancement are huge.

Cons

- going through a state of change, employees are a bit skeptical about company's future growth
    - having a tough time with the attrition rate in engineering
    - lack of a team to focus on building tools and productivity, or driving everyone to avoid redoing the same task.

Advice to Management

- acknowledge that the house is on fire
    - try to address the low morale going around in company

Nov 3, 2015 – Employer Representative

We appreciate you sharing your perspective. Similar sentiment has been surfaced by others. Our efforts, decisions and new additions in talent are to acknowledge and address our current landscape... More

"Was once a good place to work for"

Former Employee - Rocket Scientist in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Rocket Fuel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were some really awesome engineers (but not anymore) and working with them was a fun and learning experience

Cons

I was not happy with my manager and there was no platform to express that. I was not at all happy with the work. I felt some one who dont matter at all. This being my first job, I did not know what to expect and how to express my concenrs

Advice to Management

Manager with poor communication skills is the worst thing to a fresh grad.

Aug 17, 2015 – Employer Representative

Sorry to hear things aren't that good. If you are having issues with your manager, please talk to Human Resources or you can send a message to anonymous@

"Nerdy but Lovable: Full of brilliant minds"

Current Employee - Rocket Scientist in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1.You are assumed to be smart enough to take decisions so you enjoy lots of autonomy.
    2. Brilliant minds at work. You love it when you work with them and see how good they are at what they do. It's a great learning experience working at Rocket Fuel, given the kind of problems you work on and the people you work with.
    3. Lovely work culture and great work-life balance. Engineers are revered for what they do and are considered valuable assets.
    4. The company is growing very fast. The year-on-year revenue growth can give an example to that regard.

Cons

1. As the company is growing at a very rapid pace, interaction with senior management is less.
    2. Lack of coordination between teams due to very rapid pace of growth.
    3. Most employees don't have a clear picture of how they fit into the broad company vision.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work of maintaining autonomy for engineers in decisions, that is what that took the company to this level. However, try to be maintain better coordination between teams and create better interaction of employees with management.

"Great work, great people"

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Work is very exciting, diverse and flexible. Its spans a wide range of areas.
    * People are excellent, knowledgeable and helpful (great backgrounds)
    * Compensation and benefits are very nice
    * The company is growing very fast and has great potential. Lots of customers and exchange integrations
    * Opportunities to contribute to community (food drive etc.)
    * Great work/life balance
    * Great office space and location
    * Founders / management is very good and accessible

Cons

* No cons (its a great company)

"Growing pains, wild rides, lots of learning, super fun and still going strong."

Current Employee - Senior Rocket Scientist in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Rocket Scientist in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Context: I am in the engineering team.

1. Learning opportunities are huge in most major areas of computer science (AI, Big Data and Big Systems).

2. Feels like a small company even after going public. I have to take big decisions and I have to take them responsibly.

3. Ability to make a difference: from mentoring new engineers to enabling new features for customers, my work seems to make a direct impact in the current and future well being of the company.

4. A very high percentage of people are super-competent and a pleasure to work with/learn from.

5. Free food, game room, talk sessions, and most importantly a lot of cool work still left to do.

Cons

Package/benefits are ok - not super great. Management needs to get better at "more wood behind fewer arrows". This manifests itself in many symptoms all over the company - from milestone planning, deliverables prioritization etc.

Advice to Management

The popular solution to many problems is "hire someone to solve it". Maybe we need to introspect a little more and work more efficiently to get it done.

"Great company, fun place to work, good experience"

Former Employee - Rocket Scientist in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Rocket Fuel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hands on experience
    Really bright people, who really are nerdy but loveable
    Forefront of RTB advertising technology
    Great career growth opportunities outside of engineering
    Company is going places
    I did not see the politics some other reviewers complained of

Cons

Typical lots of hours startup, but not overly so

"Worst Career Move Ever"

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Real Time Bidding is really taking off and the firm is in an enviable position currently
    2. Founders are industry veterans with a brilliant track record, but rest of the management is sub-standard and mediocre at best

Cons

1. Firm is facing obvious difficulties in scaling up and things look quite bleak at the moment
    2. Many of the old folks in engineering are hell bent on fostering a hostile environment with unneeded discriminatory antics and snobbish attitude
    3. Zero work-life balance and sub-standard compensation and benefits
    4. Not at all a fun place to work, people mostly keep to themselves, not much interaction, lack of team spirit
    5. Hiring practices are more of ad-hoc in nature, with applicants being subjected to different yard-sticks. I haven't seen more fluctuating interview evaluations ever in my whole career
    6. We have a CTO, who is never seen in any engineering meetings and discussions

Advice to Management

1. Take a serious look at the current work environment of engineering team. More than half of the engineering team is demotivated.
    2. Stop low-balling your employees and make conscious efforts toward fostering a good culture. It takes considerable effort in moving from a start-up phase to a big-firm phase, not only in terms of infrastructure and human capital, but also engineering culture and values. Constant snide remarks by folks who have been here longer doesn't help either.
    3. Improve the facilities available to employees in the work place. There have been instances of no water bottles on the whole floor for multiple days and sub-standard food and snacks are more of a norm.