Rocket Fuel "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Rocket Fuel Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Aug 15, 2018

3.5
Rocket Fuel CEO George John
George John
Pros
Cons
  • "Stock price very volatile and on a downward path(in 12 reviews)

• "Typical growing pains of a fast-growing company, but nothing glaring(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great!"

I worked at Rocket Fuel full-time

Pros

great benefits, work life balance, career growth

Cons

none that I know of

Rocket Fuel2018-08-16

"Best Company I’ve ever worked for"

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time

Pros

The people are so sweet and the managers I’ve had are amazing! The work/life balance is a dream come true and the perks are outstanding!

Cons

It’s a shame the company wasn’t financially successful. It definitely brought morale down and being acquired isn’t exactly a “walk in the park”.

Advice to Management

Fight for your employees, especially when it comes to growth and raises. It’s not enough to simply ask them how their day went. Be proactive and help them see their path without them even knowing. Please stop asking, “how can I help you”. Sometimes it’s hard for them to know especially when you are more familiar (or should be at least), with all the roles within the company.

Rocket Fuel2017-12-11

"Perfect Work Location"

I have been working at Rocket Fuel

Pros

work life balance cattered lunch

Cons

poor leadership team layoff is common

Rocket Fuel2017-09-20

"A Great Place to Work and Jumpstart your career"

Current Employee - Technical Operations Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Smart People - Competitive Salary - Positive Work/Life Balance

Cons

- Not every team has a great manager - 401k plan is not as competitive as other large companies

Advice to Management

- Pay attention to the folks on your team that drive positive change and put in the hours to make work easier for others. They are often enough the ones who go partially unrecognized and seek opportunities elsewhere

Rocket Fuel2017-04-19

"A reasonable first job"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Rocket Fuel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. With tight human resources, every engineer starts to own multiple projects. 2. Majority of managements have excellent leadership. 3. Reasonable work-life balance. Except for the on-calls, the working hour/time is flexible.

Cons

1. The biggest is low salary. Except for new grads, the corresponding total package is much-much-much less than that from Google, FB, LinkedIn, etc. If RF is really an engineer oriented company, should we pay our employees honestly and decently? 2. Much more shares are given to new hires for attraction, but few if any to the current employees. Maybe our current employees shouldn't feel unfair at all because "the... market has shifted"!! 3. Some people having good relationship with managements got promoted very fast, as causes a feeling of unfairness. (Senior manager? Director? Kidding me!?) Are our annual review mainly based on relationship? I knew a few hardworking employees never got promoted because they are not good at connection. 4. RF keeps losing engineers, and lots of projects don't have owners, or their owners don't have sufficient understanding yet, as causes a few system outages already, and makes our system fragile. (Robustness considers both systems and people maintaining them!!)

Advice to Management

Please don't think engineers are highly replaceable, and treat them fair and honest! That current employees haven't left is not because that they feel being treated well/fair, but because changing job take some time.

Rocket Fuel2017-04-30

"Changing Landscape With Good Benefits"

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rocket Fuel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch, ESPP, Unlimited PTO, Work/Life Balance

Cons

Young industry that is constantly changing which has led to layoffs twice in the past 2 years

Rocket Fuel2017-04-19

"A good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Rocket Fuel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- smart, friendly, and supportive co-workers - nice downtown office space - free lunch and snacks - competitive salary - good work/life balance - opportunity to learn highly desirable but sometimes very industry-specific skills - lots of interesting problems to solve daily

Cons

- there weren't many opportunities for advancement for me - team leaders were subject matter experts but sometimes would lose sight of the forest for the trees - sometimes hard to get things done because it was hard to figure out who owned what and how to work through the organizational hierarchy to effect change - value proposition was in the technology and AI and not as much in user experience (this could... probably also be a pro for some people)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Stay humble.

Rocket Fuel2017-03-30

"Love this place - and you will too"

Client Solutions Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Rocket Fuel

Pros

Great benefits/perks, nice people, healthy work life balance, great managers/smart people

Cons

Each department seems to have their own agenda so sometimes communicating between the departments is hard

Advice to Management

help department communicate with each other more seamlessly for better customer experience

Rocket Fuel2016-12-13

"New corporate company with too many changes"

I worked at Rocket Fuel

Pros

Smart people, good technology, most people work hard, great work/life balance, innovative.

Cons

Senior Management has no idea what direction they want to take the company. They were constantly changing direction, messaging, C-level management, process etc. They don't think things through, just make hasty decisions and others are left to clean up. When they do make changes they do not provide context or information. Everyone just finds out through the grapevine. Majority of the C-Level management are men.

Advice to Management

Think about things before you make changes. I know the original culture/values couldn't remain because the company is now public. But the there is NO culture or support for employees.

Rocket Fuel2016-10-17

"Accounting & Finance Review"

Current Employee - Accounting in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time for more than a year

Pros

In rebuttal of the negative reviews regarding finance/accounting, those are not an accurate depiction of the entire finance & accounting team. First off, those reviews sounded like it was geared towards one specific bad manager & written by a disgruntled former employee, which definitely did not depict my positive experience working for the very competent & smart managers, asst. controller, controller & CFO. Many... are very experienced and come from a Big 4 & industry background. My overall experience in each month-end close cycle is of a cohesive team that is organized, with each team member working hard & contributing to meet our reporting deadlines. Plus we have fun together & the team culture definitely prioritizes work life balance after busy periods & encourages rest/recovery with many understanding managers that make sure you take PTO (which is on a flexible time off policy). The accounting team specifically does a wonderful job living out one of our core values of "Celebrating People Being Great" demonstrated by the many milestones that we celebrate frequently (anniversaries, birthdays, baby showers, a job well done & etc)

Cons

-Business strategies & initiatives slow to produce results of growth (in terms of stock price etc) but heading in the right direction

Advice to Management

More intensive on-boarding training to learn more about the technology & business offerings.

Rocket Fuel2016-10-08