Rocket Lawyer Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charley Moore

Pros
  • Great location in financial district (in 7 reviews)

• Work/Life balance are good, I would say that I rarely find myself working outside the office (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest problem is that from the executive team down through middle management, there is a lot of talk and not a lot of walk (in 3 reviews)

• There is no management structure which leaves employees without HR recourse (in 2 reviews)

1. "A company with an amazing sense of purpose and smart growth planning"

I have been working at Rocket Lawyer full-time

Pros

-- There is a social purpose to working here regardless of where you are in the organization.
    -- They really have done a good job of hiring smart, hard-working people to drive the company forward.
    -- Good benefits (maybe not some of the high-end perks you find at larger internet companies, but they take care of their employees)

Cons

-- Leadership has a history of "jumping around" when it comes to priorities, which leads to ostensibly important initiatives not fulfilling their promise (although this has started to get better)
    -- As the company has grown, the executive team has become a bit more distant from the day-to-day experience of many employees (which is understandable but can be a bit demoralizing at times)
    -- Sometimes company priorities can seem too product-oriented, with the issue exacerbated by how opaque product decisions can be to those who are outside of the product management chain of command.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your employees engaged and reminded of how they fit into both the day-to-day success of Rocket Lawyer as well as it's overarching purpose. Be as transparent as possible on where we are going (the quarterly meetings are great, but there may need to be a bit more in the downtime in-between). Don't ever forget why we are here and who our product serves.

"Too strict"

Pros

the job is super easy, the free food, and awesome benefits.

Cons

too strict! they claim they are lean back and easy-going but yet they watch your breaks, lunches and every move you make. getting fired is so easy, you get fired for being off the phone for a really good reason. they don't care! they think they know it all, very judgmental and plays favorites.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on coaching people and giving them a chance to do better other than firing them. horrible coaching and my manager was cold hearted and just dry.

"Great company! Mission-driven and plenty of fun too!"

I have been working at Rocket Lawyer full-time

Pros

I love that we are building software that makes a difference in people's lives. Our user experience is actually fantastic and our customer's love the product.

Our culture lets everyone have a voice and new ideas are encouraged from every corner of the company. The company is very family-friendly and we have wonderful events where kids and friends are welcome to attend.

We don't take ourselves too seriously. Happy hours, spontaneous offsites and nerf gun battles are the norm here.

Cons

Sometimes we don't move fast enough on initiatives.

Advice to Management

Stay customer-focused and empower your leadership team to fulfill the promise.

5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rocket Lawyer (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of great folks who work here, there are many smart people who have a lot of great vision for the product.
    I feel like the company invests in me, and this is a big reason why I have stayed at the company for a while.
    There's a lot of good people who I enjoy coming to the office to work with. Lots of friendly people!
    I like that we constantly are working to evolve the company and the business.
    There's a lot of collaboration between teams, and it's nice to get the thoughts and ideas of other folks.
    Work/Life balance are good, I would say that I rarely find myself working outside the office.

Cons

Could have some better benefits like 401k matching

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Member Benefits Associate/Attorney Services in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Member Benefits Associate/Attorney Services in Ogden, UT

I worked at Rocket Lawyer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They take care of their employees, fed regularly by the company, team outings, Happy Hour, all kinds of free products like hats, sweaters and may kefs

Cons

The Ogden office is small. When it gets busy, it's busy. They do all hiring through temp services. And honestly, that is all i can think of.

Advice to Management

Great job guys! Keep it up!

7. "First Six Month"

Current Employee - Biz Ops in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Biz Ops in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Rocket Lawyer full-time

Pros

Really, I give a 4.5 Star rating, I just don't believe in perfect scores.

As "the new guy" in management, I felt immediately included in cross functional projects and initiatives. Leadership and executive team members have been great at getting me up to speed and providing the right amount of hand holding and hands off mentorship.

Up until now, process and product improvement ideas have been encouraged and well received. Definitely feel a sense of team here. So far, so good!

Cons

Company is spread a bit too thin. We don't have enough product and engineering resources to juggle multiple large projects at once. The less a project is resource dependent, the faster you can get it done. As a result, some parts of the business are light years ahead of others that have been neglected resource wise.

Advice to Management

More resources so we can get all aspects of the business caught up.

"It's amazing they're still in business"

I worked at Rocket Lawyer full-time

Pros

Seems like a decent place to start a sales career. Beyond that not a lot of real positives, other than the mission, which is noble... And the product which is much needed, were it not a total scam.

Cons

A total institutional lack of respect, and a CEO who thinks the Steve Jobs biography is a how to manual. Also, the freemium business model is a mistake. They could run legal zoom out of the water if they got smart about pricing.

Advice to Management

Advice to the board instead: change can only come from the top.

"Frontend"

Current Employee - Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rocket Lawyer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rocket Lawyer is a great place to work at, we have a great team of engineers and managers. There's usually no pressure at all and everyone is really nice

Cons

They have this horribly outdated CMS that's a pain to work with, it was meant to be a CMS but it's now used as some sort of host for various single page applications, which messes everything up.

Advice to Management

Replace lighthouse as soon as possible. It's not being used for what it was created to.

"Mission and execution out of alignment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rocket Lawyer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have an inspiring mission. The people I worked with were ambitious and smart. I learned a lot from my colleagues and I learned a lot on my feet. I got to do a wide range of things that I had no experience with so it was a great training ground.

Cons

The founder is manipulative and disrespectful -- a lion in sheep's clothing. He inserts himself in every aspect of the business (even the minute details). There's no autonomy and he is great at making people feel unsupported and competitive with each other, and it trickles down to every level of the company.

Goals change constantly, and generally the approach was unfocused. There was a lot of start and stopping, and unrealistic goals given the lack of resources.

Raises are very few and far between, and you have to basically threaten to quit in order to get one.

Advice to Management

Focus on the long term instead of just the short term. The subscription model is only a short term solution and it does not align with the mission.

11. "Rocket Lawyer"

Current Employee - Member Benefits Associate in North Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Member Benefits Associate in North Ogden, UT

I have been working at Rocket Lawyer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, great pay, wonderful atmosphere. Rocket Lawyer is an amazing company with incredible aspirations and real value for their employees.

Cons

With Rocket Lawyer being a startup company, there's not much room for advancement or new opportunities.