Rocket Wagon Reviews | Glassdoor

Phil Perkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company"

I have been working at Rocket Wagon full-time

Pros

I work for RW remotely but I've come visit the office.
    - Amazing people.
    - Fun but challenging projects.
    - Great culture that promotes loving what you do.

I've worked for a few companies now and this is without a doubt the best one. I'm really glad I joined.

Cons

It takes a bit of time getting used to having unlimited beer & snacks at the office.

Rocket Wagon Response

Aug 4, 2016 – CEO

We appreciate you sharing your experience! Rocket Wagon really values having a culture that enables you to do the work you love. We apologize to your waistline for the beer and snacks, but we... More

"Not a safe or supportive environment for women or minorities"

Former Contractor - Chief Financial Officer in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Chief Financial Officer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rocket Wagon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Smart employees, great location, fun at times

Cons

I resigned as CFO after having my concerns about sexual harassment minimized, hearing the CEO refer to women as "victims," and being informed that all of the other women and the only person of color were being fired while simultaneously bringing on 4-5 new white males.

After meeting with the three owners and being promised that diversity would become a priority, nothing happened except that my long-promised full-time job offer was taken off the table because they no longer viewed me as "leadership material."

I finally received a meeting invitation to a "Diversity and Inclusion" meeting...two days after I resigned.

This is merely the tip of the iceberg of what I witnessed at this company.

Advice to Management

Stop saying you're too busy to work on diversity. You're not too busy, you just don't see it as a priority.

"Smart and Authentic"

I have been working at Rocket Wagon full-time

Pros

RW values individuality and intellect.
    A fast growing company where leadership actively want experts at all levels of the organization.
    Creating a new offering for clients which means really interesting work with value placed on a truly collaborative interaction across strategy, design and engineering

Cons

If you're a 'yes' person this isn't the place for you. You're expected to own and drive your own ideas, respectfully challenge others and are encouraged to be yourself.

"A stellar small team to learn from"

Current Employee - Intern Web Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern Web Developer in Chicago, IL

Pros

As an intern, I worked alongside the CTO, got some hands on project management experience and committed code to be used in production code bases. The work is well-defined, fast-paced and exciting. I have learned an incredible amount in my time with Rocket Wagon, in no small part due to the fact that I was given so much trust to complete the tasks assigned to me. I was allowed to learn from failure, rather than fear it. All of this together with a team that is easy to get along with make Rocket Wagon a great place to work.

Cons

As a small company, focuses change and things will come up that require shifting gears to meet new challenges. Rocket Wagon is not a place for those who wish to be told precisely what to work on every day.

Advice to Management

The small-team, senior developer-heavy work environment really seems to keep things moving quickly, and also fosters an amazing workplace to bring in and train newer developers alongside the seasoned veterans. Be careful not to lose this dynamic.

Rocket Wagon Response

Aug 4, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide a thoughtful review of your experience at Rocket Wagon! Every employee contributes to the culture and work environment and we're glad you were able to not... More

"Fun, flexible work environment"

I have been working at Rocket Wagon full-time

Pros

- Great technology stack
    - Fun, laid back work environment
    - Freedom to help drive direction of company
    - Ability to choose technology, work style, and hours that work best for you

Cons

- Hard to find free parking in Fulton Market
    - Office will need to be moved into a bigger space soon

Advice to Management

Hire more awesome developers. Move into bigger space. Make sure there's always coffee in the coffee maker and LaCroix in the fridge.

"Top of my list!"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Mar del Plata (Argentina)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Mar del Plata (Argentina)

I have been working at Rocket Wagon part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked with RW and its leadership for several years and seen they grow into a smart, transparent, fun company to work with. I am a latinamerican woman and have never felt discrimitated, on the contraty. The leadership listens and values their employees' input and contribution, regardless of who they are and where they are from.
    I hope I get to work with RW many more years. They are at the top of the list of companies I have worked with!

Cons

Nothing I can think of at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep growing but sleep every now and then :-)

"SF Tech Company in Chicago"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago (Guatemala)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago (Guatemala)

Pros

Coming from the agency world, it feels good to build some cool products that are actually being used and aren't just quick marketing experiences or webpage redesigns. I work with some sharp guys and girls - everybody is hustling. Feels a little like a SF tech company in Chicago, which has been hard to come by

Cons

Parking - holy jesus. I mean I'm happy that the food down in Fulton market is great, but parking is terrible. Luckily I can just take the blue line most of the time.

Advice to Management

Ping pong table. I know that you have it in storage... Otherwise, nothing.