Rocket Wagon Reviews | Glassdoor

Rocket Wagon Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2019

Found 10 reviews

4.3
Rocket Wagon CEO Phil Perkins (no image)
Phil Perkins
  1. "Complex Work, Caring People, Always Improving, Massive Career Growth Potential!"

Current Employee - Full-time Team Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rocket Wagon full-time for more than a year

Pros

So many to list! - For such a young company, amazing benefits, 401k match, bi-weekly lunch/massages, unlimited snacks, and beer - Competitive pay, an annual stipend for personal growth - Unlimited PTO, flexible WFH, newly developed work from anywhere policy for people who love to travel - Great office location in the west loop - A great people first culture that is actually driven by the people who work here.... (Culture club, philanthropy club, diversity & inclusion, social function planning) - Monthly lunch and learns where people teach avant-garde hobbies, new tech, new code methodologies, new industry movements, anything you can fathom. - You'll find constant opportunities for career challenges, complex work, the ability to drive your own development and work for clients that are doing disruptive things. - The somewhat flat, project-based org structure allows everyone to share a voice in the work and growth of the projects. - People who genuinely enjoy time together outside of work. It can get a little clique, but everyone is always invited. - As teachers and learners, you'll routinely interact with people who are mind-blowingly talented at what they do and love to talk about it! - Going head to head with the big dogs and winning the work. - Big partnerships and a new office are in the works, very excited for the future of everyone here. - The opportunity to deliver products and projects unlike anything else for a company this size. End to end IoT, blockchain/cryptocurrency, data ingestion engines, machine learning, mobile applications, newly processed rapid design sprint projects, UX / UI research, etc. Having worked for other product and services companies, RW has never failed in giving me an exciting day.

Cons

Every company has growing pains. Don't let the bad reviews paint such a bad picture, there are 2 sides to every story. The leadership team consistently learns from its mistakes, listens, and makes changes as needed. Cons: - With any young company, the idea of transparency from leadership is always tough. How much is enough? There was a little bit of a gossip culture for a while, because of a lack of... transparency. One thing to be said, leadership is tirelessly working to improve, set goals, and be more transparent with the organization in general. - With such a fast-paced environment, individual career planning can sometimes be an afterthought. More care is being put into this as of late. - Growing pains and big clients, big deals won and big deals lost. Advanced and disruptive projects aren't always the easiest to sell, but the company is always showing growth in one way or another. That's part of the consulting arena. - Leadership & middle management are incredibly skilled but present a little bit of a hero mentality from time to time. People need to learn from failures sometimes. - Each team can be drastically different to suit the project and people working on it. A big focus on process and standardization is in the works to improve this. - RW is a big 'yes' culture, people do all sorts of things not in their wheelhouse, it can get easy to get burnt out. Some people need to be better about taking time off and recharging. - A few people have left for other opportunities. That's part of growing a business. In general, it's on good terms, and people routinely still meet up for beers. - You get what you put in. You want advanced work, leadership opportunity, rapid growth, the world is your oyster.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you are doing. Listen to your employees and continue the 'all in this together' mentality. Continue to make time to be proactive in peoples personal happiness and well being, even when things get busy as they do. The new direction of the company, clearly defined goals, and the current trajectory are very promising. Continue to be rigorous in your highering standards; we want to work with... the best and the brightest!

Rocket Wagon2019-04-10

"Great Workplace & Opportunity to Work With Rockstars"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rocket Wagon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Rocket Wagon treats it's people like they are partners, not just employees. I'm not in management or a senior position but am treated as if my role is just as important. The RW team is one of the most talented and inspiring teams I've ever seen under one roof. There are no unsolvable problems or impossible solutions. - Pay is good - Great and low-cost health benefits - Unlimited vacation/PTO - Treated like... an adult with responsibility. No micromanagement. - Highly qualified and multidisciplined team with endless opportunities to grow professionally and in knowledge -A bottom-up culture that is driven by employees

Cons

As with any fast-paced, high-growth company, there are growing pains and lessons we have to learn the hard way.

Advice to Management

Stay true to our core values

Rocket Wagon2018-03-29

"Great employees but needs work at the top"

Former Contractor - Senior Product Manager

I worked at Rocket Wagon for more than a year

Pros

The developers I worked with were some of the best and I can’t say enough good things about working with them. They were the reason I made it through the year I was with the company. The product manager is knowledgeable and great to work with - I enjoyed learning from him due to his extensive PM experience. The kitchen is fully stocked with good food and drinks.

Cons

Leadership continually made commitments that were not kept. It felt like there was a lot of talk and little follow through on many things in my year there. One example : I was told multiple times that I would have a full-time PM offer based on my good performance, only to endure highly volatile and tumultuous projects and told later that an offer wouldn’t be possible. These projects also included dealing with highly... disrespectful clients. I repeatedly heard how busy a certain member of the leadership team was (more times than I could count). Having worked at several startups now, I know how crazy things can get; however, being busy is part of the startup game and also the reason why founders and owners have substantial equity and others do not. Diversity: the numbers speak for themselves - when I left the company, one other woman was left who is no longer there. In my opinion, diversity seems to be something that is talked about with employees/contractors about (as I did with the CEO), but not something that I felt was taken seriously - I got the feeling that issues with women in tech were seen more as women whining as opposed to serious problems facing women in today's tech landscape.

Advice to Management

Don’t continually talk about things that you can't follow through on. Stop and take a look around; make your company and employee/contractor issues a topic of genuine concern.

Rocket Wagon2017-10-20

"Not a safe or supportive environment for women or minorities"

Former Contractor - Chief Financial Officer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rocket Wagon for more than a year

Pros

Smart employees, great location, fun at times

Cons

I resigned as CFO after having my concerns about sexual harassment minimized, hearing the CEO refer to women as "victims," and being informed that all of the other women and the only person of color were being fired while simultaneously bringing on 4-5 new white males. After meeting with the three owners and being promised that diversity would become a priority, nothing happened except that my long-promised... full-time job offer was taken off the table because they no longer viewed me as "leadership material." I finally received a meeting invitation to a "Diversity and Inclusion" meeting...two days after I resigned. This is merely the tip of the iceberg of what I witnessed at this company.

Advice to Management

Stop saying you're too busy to work on diversity. You're not too busy, you just don't see it as a priority.

Rocket Wagon2017-08-25

"Great company"

I have been working at Rocket Wagon full-time

Pros

I work for RW remotely but I've come visit the office. - Amazing people. - Fun but challenging projects. - Great culture that promotes loving what you do. I've worked for a few companies now and this is without a doubt the best one. I'm really glad I joined.

Cons

It takes a bit of time getting used to having unlimited beer & snacks at the office.

Rocket Wagon2016-07-27

Rocket Wagon Response

August 4, 2016CEO

We appreciate you sharing your experience! Rocket Wagon really values having a culture that enables you to do the work you love. We apologize to your waistline for the beer and snacks, but we don't foresee changing it anytime soon.

"Smart and Authentic"

I have been working at Rocket Wagon full-time

Pros

RW values individuality and intellect. A fast growing company where leadership actively want experts at all levels of the organization. Creating a new offering for clients which means really interesting work with value placed on a truly collaborative interaction across strategy, design and engineering

Cons

If you're a 'yes' person this isn't the place for you. You're expected to own and drive your own ideas, respectfully challenge others and are encouraged to be yourself.

Rocket Wagon2015-11-05

"A stellar small team to learn from"

Intern Web Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rocket Wagon

Pros

As an intern, I worked alongside the CTO, got some hands on project management experience and committed code to be used in production code bases. The work is well-defined, fast-paced and exciting. I have learned an incredible amount in my time with Rocket Wagon, in no small part due to the fact that I was given so much trust to complete the tasks assigned to me. I was allowed to learn from failure, rather than fear... it. All of this together with a team that is easy to get along with make Rocket Wagon a great place to work.

Cons

As a small company, focuses change and things will come up that require shifting gears to meet new challenges. Rocket Wagon is not a place for those who wish to be told precisely what to work on every day.

Advice to Management

The small-team, senior developer-heavy work environment really seems to keep things moving quickly, and also fosters an amazing workplace to bring in and train newer developers alongside the seasoned veterans. Be careful not to lose this dynamic.

Rocket Wagon2015-09-01

Rocket Wagon Response

August 4, 2016CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide a thoughtful review of your experience at Rocket Wagon! Every employee contributes to the culture and work environment and we're glad you were able to not only contribute, but enjoyed your time with the team here. We hope to grow but always keep our core values of sharing knowledge and doing the right thing. We're glad you found that to be an important part of your experience.

"Fun, flexible work environment"

I have been working at Rocket Wagon full-time

Pros

- Great technology stack - Fun, laid back work environment - Freedom to help drive direction of company - Ability to choose technology, work style, and hours that work best for you

Cons

- Hard to find free parking in Fulton Market - Office will need to be moved into a bigger space soon

Advice to Management

Hire more awesome developers. Move into bigger space. Make sure there's always coffee in the coffee maker and LaCroix in the fridge.

Rocket Wagon2015-09-01

"Top of my list!"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Mar del Plata

I have been working at Rocket Wagon part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked with RW and its leadership for several years and seen they grow into a smart, transparent, fun company to work with. I am a latinamerican woman and have never felt discrimitated, on the contraty. The leadership listens and values their employees' input and contribution, regardless of who they are and where they are from. I hope I get to work with RW many more years. They are at the top of the list of... companies I have worked with!

Cons

Nothing I can think of at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep growing but sleep every now and then :-)

Rocket Wagon2017-08-31

"SF Tech Company in Chicago"

in Chicago

I have been working at Rocket Wagon

Pros

Coming from the agency world, it feels good to build some cool products that are actually being used and aren't just quick marketing experiences or webpage redesigns. I work with some sharp guys and girls - everybody is hustling. Feels a little like a SF tech company in Chicago, which has been hard to come by

Cons

Parking - holy jesus. I mean I'm happy that the food down in Fulton market is great, but parking is terrible. Luckily I can just take the blue line most of the time.

Advice to Management

Ping pong table. I know that you have it in storage... Otherwise, nothing.

Rocket Wagon2015-09-03