Rocketship Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Preston Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Difficult to find a work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours and short lunch time (in 8 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Place to work with people who care deeply about the work that they do"

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time

Pros

All the people I work with have huge hearts and believe deeply in Rocketship's mission. It can be really hard some times, but it pays off when you see the impact that we're having on the lives of the children that we serve.

Cons

Often extremely long work hours.

Advice to Management

Just make sure that you keep listening to teachers. We know better than anyone what's going on inside the classrooms, so it's important that our thoughts and ideas for how to improve the schools is being heard.

2. "I did not listen to the reviews, they were all true. It's worse than you think."

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The Teachers they recruit are in it for the right reasons, but just don't have the know how yet to be effective
    -The students are wonderful, the families are too
    -If you don't have experience and want to break into the field of education they will guide the way
    -excellent benefits
    You can grow quickly, but probably into a position, you are not qualified for!

Cons

-You will have an actual 0 sum total of prep hours, and most of your time filled with PD meant for people who have no experience in Ed and even at that, just to norm as a network.
    -Admin will treat you like a student during these sessions because they don't have any leadership experience and are fresh out of the classroom. (Make you sit up straight, follow you out of the room if you need to go to bathroom etc)
    -Even during these sessions, they do not give proper time to answer or do work, this is a terrible model for new teachers.
    -If you have any kind of educational experience this place will be a nightmare
    -Very large class sizes, do not practice effective teaching, just hours of sedentary lecture (I am not a classroom teacher)
    -no extracurriculars
    -very inexperienced administration, they just haven't quite figured it out
    -difficult to contact hr
    -more behavioral issues than normal for even an urban school (due to sedentary classes, focus on silence, and very poor understanding of how to close the achievement gap)
    -if you are being recruited from elsewhere, do a take home salary calculator before you accept, cost of living in San Jose is very real. You will not find apt under 2000 monthly.
    -In the first two weeks of school teachers across the network, schools have already quit.What does that tell you?
    -Admin will email and expect a response even until late at night. (Respect that we are human beings, our families peace should be respected during nonworking hours).

Advice to Management

Your model is not sustainable and the communities are figuring it out!
    -It seems like you have done data studies on effective models within their schools and applied those as standards (cultishly) across network schools, without really understanding the mechanisms that drive those standards. (passion, experience, and autonomy).
    -You cannot just hire intelligent passionate people and expect them to be effective educators. Many of them are just mimicking the very poor PD they were witness to and lecturing their students for hours on end with the same power point template.
    -Hold your teachers accountable, but give them prep time, spend less money on ineffective PDs and invest in flex seating and educational assistants for your ridiculously large class sizes.
    -Hire Admin with leadership experience.
    -Live coaching is ineffective anyways, instead get rid of one of the APs and hire a couple of educational assistants to assist and cover. So education assistants can co-teach, support, and help so others teacher can observe each other with learn experientially what effective teaching looks like.

"tutor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Rocketship Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved working with my students
    Getting to know families
    Awesome relationships and friendships built with my coworkers
    Yearly pay increases based on overall evaluations

Cons

Principal turnover has happened 3 times in only 4 years of being open
    Understaffed when it comes to assistant principals/coaches
    Little to no support when asked
    Little to no consequences when dealing with disrespectful or misbehaved students
    Securing a substitute was nearly impossible since no one wanted to work here
    Expressing these concerns to HR and/or the CEO was useless

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees!
    We are the ones who work here everyday so we know what needs to be done to better serve these students

"Terrible Experiences"

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The kids. The families are inspiring, hard working, passionate people who want only the best for their kids! I do not have any other pros.

Cons

Unprofessional "leaders" who don't show the respect they demand from students, parents, and teachers. Hostile environment that is not conducive to student achievement. The network is a joke of under experienced educators playing school with our kids.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Show respect and take responsibility. Do all that you can to keep good teachers. Learn how to accept feedback and not take it personally. Learn how to build positive relationships with families and teachers. Before making a decision, ask yourself, "is this what's best for students?"

"Humanities teacher"

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time

Pros

Network and leaders hold high standards which helps good teachers become great. This job has pushed me as an individual and professional.

Cons

Very hard work. 70+ hours a week. Difficult to find a work/life balance

"Apply at your own risk"

Former Employee - Teacher in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in San Jose, CA

I worked at Rocketship Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Ambitious vision & mission
    * Unwavering dedication to that vision & mission

Cons

* majority of POC work in support roles
    * lack of cultural competency amongst staff
    * demands are nearly impossible; meeting minimum demands requires 70+ hours per week; because most of us go and above & beyond, it's not uncommon to hear about 80, 90 hr work week
    * pay seems good on paper, but not when you consider the hours worked. let's say you're starting at 60,000; that comes out to 5000 per week (before taxes); suppose you work 70 hrs per week, which is on the low side for RS. That comes out to 18 an hr before taxes. All things considered, I'm surprised people cite pay as a pro.
    * the corporate environment doesn't put kids first as whole human beings; it's about bottom lines
    * data driven instruction at RS equates to obsession around data
    * everything boils down to numbers & the unwavering dedication becomes about numbers too, rather than kids & education; this is a dangerous culture
    * the culture then becomes about competition; who gets the numbers, who puts in the hours, who obsesses the most
    * all of this is antithetical to the art of teaching, the process of learning, and the value of people, the value of a nurturing environment for all learners

Advice to Management

chill out and love people

"n/a"

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time

Pros

-Great career pathways
    -Managers aren't just your boss, but also your Coach; great coaching relationships and commitment to making you a stronger educator and professional
    -Good compensation for teachers
    -Very rewarding; never doubted I was making a huge impact on the lives of my students and their families

Cons

-Very challenging work
    -Difficult to achieve work-life balance as a teacher

Advice to Management

Different managers do this to different extents, but always important to question the "why" behind different things we're asking teachers to do; in some circumstances, certain actions aren't a good use of time

"teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

amazingly talented coworkers
    lots of resources

Cons

-micromanagement and busy work causes no freetime (way more than other schools)
    - lack of freedom in teaching styles - must do it the "Rocketship" way
    - no school provided consequences - EVERYTHING is on the teacher - they suggest you give up your lunch to use for consequences for kids
    - multiple days each week where you have to stay late for PD that changes every week and is expected to be immediately put into your plans and teaching
    - teachers are seen as disposable and are treated very poorly and turnover is very high (many teachers have left in the middle of the school year)
    - curriculum is weak with a lack of practice for students, and a strong teach to the test feel to it

Advice to Management

Work on teacher retention and allowing teachers to teach their own way.

"Teacher"

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Values are strong. Working on closing the achievement gap as a team in a very strong community.

Cons

It is a very challenging job, teacher turn over is high. Constant change is occurring, it can be hard to keep up at times.

Advice to Management

Develop teachers in what they need. Ensure there is a work-life balance. Demonstrate value and appreciation to teachers.

10. "Good Community, Works you Hard"

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time

Pros

-Very collaborative work environment
    -High potential for upward mobility
    -Leniency toward varying backgrounds

Cons

-High rate of burnout
    -Low consistency year-to-year and school-to-school

Advice to Management

Hire more support staff for teachers