Rocketship Public Schools Reviews

Updated Aug 4, 2020

3.7
Rocketship Public Schools Co-Founder and CEO Preston Smith (no image)
Preston Smith
Pros
Cons
  • "Work/Life balance is not for everyone(in 23 reviews)

• "Long hours but salary and opportunities for growth make it worth it(in 22 reviews)

1. "Amazing School!!"

Current Employee - Science ECC Teacher in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love working at Rocketship! In my years working there, I have been given opportunities to grow and hone my craft of teaching. Leadership is always willing to help and listen. I have always felt so supported and encouraged. I genuinely get along with my coworkers and have become good friends with them! It is so nice to be able to have an entire team of people you can rely on! I also love the goal of Rocketship to make a great education accessible to ALL students regardless of economic background! Let's close that achievement gap!

Cons

I have trouble thinking of a con...I have enjoyed every moment of my time at RSED!

2. "ISE specialist salary"

Current Employee - ISE Specialist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time

Pros

you'll learn a lot of strategies to being a teacher

Cons

they make you work until 6 pm on campus if anything

3. "Long hours, very stressful environment"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Morgan Hill, CA

I worked at Rocketship Public Schools full-time

Pros

Most of lesson plans are provided for you. You teach either STEM or Humanities and children rotate to your class.

Cons

Long hours, usually 10 hour days. School is data driven and many hours are spent looking at student data and preparing students for high-stakes State exams. No room for individual teaching styles or innovation. Must submit weekly detailed lesson plans. "Coaches" constantly checking in and making sure you conform to Rocketship system and procedures. Very stressful place to work.

4. "Rocketship Review"

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in San Jose, CA

Pros

The relationships you form with your colleagues and school leadership will last a lifetime because you are working towards a similar goal. Pay is one of the most competitive in the bay area for teachers. Orientation and professional development is solid for new teachers in the field.

Cons

Work/Life balance is not for everyone. Job requires a lot of energy Demographic serving is challenging with student behaviors and needs If you are pursuing a credential or master's program, be sure to wait until you are completed before you apply because it will be difficult in completing both. If you are new parent/mother also will be tough to breast pump in between classes and teaching. Rocketship needs to establish a designated area and protected time for all mothers to breast pump. They need to have a more supportive plan for returning mothers in the future. Retention is not as great, changing leadership and teachers often.

5. "Hardworking staff and students"

Current Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Teachers support each other. Classes are joyful, lesson plans are made by the network. Very data-driven.

Cons

Large class sizes. Raises are based off student achievement and not years of experience or continued education.

6. COVID-19

"Thankful To Be Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for as they have strong professional development model and growth opportunities. Very big on measuring results and giving feedback. I love how we take a realistic approach to all things including student achievement, enrollment, new processes, and transparency. The leadership and everyone I have met from the network staff have been incredibly welcoming and supportive, especially throughout covid-19. People are saying to pay attention how companies are treating their employees during these trying times.... well Rocketship continues to make me feel confident in my purpose and impact that I am able to make within our community. Great team, meaningful work, great benefits... A breath of fresh air compared to previous places I have worked

Cons

Consistent high expectations that sometimes feel unattainable. They reallllly push you to give it your all. Must be passionate and committed. If teaching is not in your heart... may not be a good place for you. There also feels like there could be some racial biases present at times

Continue reading
  7. "Hard work, but worth it"

Current Employee - Stem Teacher in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Community, high- pay, professional development

Cons

High work demands, little to no work-life balance

8. COVID-19

"Supportive at all times"

Current Employee - Teacher in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Every Rocketship school has designated a CareCorps of at least four educators who are responsible for contacting every Rocketship family, every day. Their mission is to support our most vulnerable families who are experiencing the destabilizing impacts of the COVID-19 crisis. Every morning, the CareCorps sends a brief wellness survey to all families to ensure everyone feels safe at home and identifies any needs in the school community. The team reviews all responses before noon each day and then follows up directly with families who indicated they need support. This added layer of personal outreach is incredibly important right now.

Cons

Super hard work and takes a ton of hours but teahing is difficult so that is to be expected....wish we had more planning time during the actual work day.

9. "Rocketship"

Current Employee - Intervention Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Rocketship Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Highly involved leadership team, consistent structures and routines, great for new teachers

Cons

Micromanaging, scripted curriculum, high caseloads

"Review of Rocketship"

2.0
    Former Employee - Leader in San Jose, CA

I worked at Rocketship Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay Hard working Teachers Talented and dedicated staff

Cons

Lack of autonomy Little to no acknowledgement of a job well done from direct manager Brutal work days 12+ hours and 4+ hours of work each weekend

Found 148 reviews