Rockford College Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Graduate Assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Rockford College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working as a graduate assistant at Rockford University. Lots of opportunities for learning and networking with professors.

Cons

Politics of this university can be frustrating. There are some people with very strong egos. Overall, a good organization to work for.

Advice to Management

Better HR - it took a long time for my resume to get to my supervisor.

"Hvac/Maintenance"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Rockford, IL

Pros

My kids got free schooling because i worked there.

Cons

Most of the buildings were built in the early 60 and need maintenance all the time and Aramark does not have a clue what they are doing

Advice to Management

get rid of aramark

3. "Rockford College will be a fun place to work, in 5 years, it is still on the way back up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

Pros

The flexible hours and quality of life that working on a College campus provides is evident at Rockford College. In lieu of providing additional compensation efforts are made in other ways to show appreciation and worth to the organization.

Cons

The level of politics on a college campus is immense. Decisions that should be made simply by discussing them openly can be hampered with the desire not to offend anyone. Management is disabled by a few key individuals that poison the atmosphere for progress.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad apples and this place will continue to flourish. If the College waits for that to occur by attrition, we will die on the vine.

5. "Slow to innovate and let employees try out and experiment with new ideas"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

Pros

many great employees
    collegiate atmosphere
    many supervisors are caring and try to help employees in need
    tuition reimbursement and other benefits

Cons

the college is slow to innovate
    most departments allow little to no room for employees to try out new ideas
    little decision-making autonomy
    pay is pretty low compared to similar institutions, little opportunity for pay raises and promotions

Advice to Management

create a more entrepreneurial culture
    allow employees to implement new ideas if they can find the means and resources themselves

"Graduate Assistant"

Pros

Free and discounted tuition; good work life balance

Cons

Office politics, low pay, unprofessional office management

Advice to Management

Needs to be much more student friendly and there was no professionalism in my office; proper office procedures need to be strictly followed.....swearing, drinking on job, releasing of private student information was constant. Very abusive environment. Coming from a business background; I would have fired the office manager; not promoted her. The only thing I learned is when you see something illegal or just plain wrong; ignore it and keep your head down to avoid the reprocussions.

7. "Good people, work/life balance could be improved"

I worked at Rockford College (More than a year)

Pros

As a whole, the people who worked at this institution were truly student-centered and went above and beyond to serve its students. Additionally, there was a great camaraderie among staff of various departments, and most staff and faculty took great pride in working for the university. I truly felt appreciated by supervisors and other staff members as well. Lastly, the best part about this institution is that as a professional staff member, one can truly get to know and help its diverse population of students on an individual level, which is extremely rewarding.

Cons

Because of the small number of professional staff in many departments, we had to wear many different hats, so to speak. While this helped in making me a well-rounded professional, it also led me to work a lot of hours.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work building camaraderie among employees. I loved all the different events for employees and even their families, such as the Chili Cook-off, the Christmas Party, and other similar events.

8. "A good place to work next time"

I have been working at Rockford College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tuition remission
    3 weeks of vacation
    A lot of holidays off
    Things are getting better (slowly)
    Depending on what office you're in the office culture is good

Cons

Tight budgets
    Raises are rare
    Understaffed
    Very silo-ed structure
    Don't always know what other areas are doing
    A lot of focus on quantity of students, not the quality of students
    Wages are low

9. "Good People, Needs Better Vision."

Pros

There are a lot of good people working at the College that truly care about their institution and what is going on.

Cons

Salary is below market value, Leadership changes need to happen, A clearer & realistic visit of RU is needed.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate pay structure and recognize who/what the institution really is.

10. "Not the place for forward thinking individuals"

I have been working at Rockford College full-time

Pros

They have a great tuition remission program that allows full time employees to take classes for free or at a discounted rate if you are part time.

There are a lot of very dedicated individuals who work here and love this school and city.

Cons

The environment is very defensive to change or suggestions from those who have not been here for an exceedingly long time.

Office politics run deep and is not likely to change any time soon.

Taking advantage of the free tuition is largely dependent on your supervisor being flexible enough to allow you to take the classes since most classes are during normal working hours.

Advice to Management

The mentality of much of the middle management and perhaps even upper management is flawed and rigid to views outside of their own. There is an attitude of classicism that I believe is actually at the core of their actions and the culture that they promote. I have been met with much resistance to the methods of improving the nature of my role and that of the people I have direct professional contact with. My efforts have not been viewed as being proactive in my role, something I am used to being praised for in other positions I have held, but rather "overstepping by bounds" which is frankly insulting. If you have a desire to genuinely improve the quality and caliber of this institution than you need to empower your employees to make decisions and effect change at the level that they are affected by and responsible for. As it stands employees are viewed as children who need permission rather than the professional adults that they are. If you want cowering children then hire them and stop wasting the time of proactive-minded people under the guise that this institution wants to change. I have been a working professional for over a decade and have held various positions throughout that time and this has been the worst working experience that I have had the displeasure of experiencing for these reasons.

11. "Information Technology Specialist"

Pros

Not only is it a great place to work but free tuition is also included for full time employees to further their education while working and this includes flexible scheduling, and great benefits.

Cons

I have not had many cons other than you sometimes get some pretty rude encounters with people that you are only trying to help. That is a small issue to deal with though, because it is not every day that this occurs.