Rockland Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Public Safety"

Former Employee - Public Safety Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Public Safety Officer in New York, NY

I worked at Rockland Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have learned a lot from working here and exercised my leadership, technical, problem solving and time management skills. It is a small department so we are like a family. The work environment is extremely collaborative and the leadership style is transformational and transitional.

Cons

no cons, I enjoyed working here.

2. "Adjunct Instructor"

Former Employee - Sociology Instructor-Associate Director of Institutional Research in Suffern, NY

I worked at Rockland Community College part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Academic freedom with minimal amount of bureaucracy.. Small class sizes were excellent as well as the audio-visual equipment supplied in the high tech classrooms.

Cons

Infrastructure needs to be improved in certain areas of older buildings. Provide greater opportunities for securing grant funding for part- time faculty.

Advice to Management

Everything went exceptionally well last semester. One area for improvement for adjunct faculty is to provide greater opportunities for teaching classes online.

3. "Students strong...faculty weak and nasty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suffern, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suffern, NY

I worked at Rockland Community College full-time

Pros

Students are amazing. They get along and are diverse. They want to learn and improve their lives.

Cons

Faculty are horrible. Obstructive, resistant, non-creative, not engaged, complainers that are overpaid

Advice to Management

Fire those old faculty. Move them out. Schedule their classes early in the morning so they will retire.

4. "sr clerk typist"

Pros

offers longevity to loyal employees

Cons

hard to get promoted or advance

Advice to Management

offer a more pleasant environment and the employees will respond more positively

5. "Photography professor"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in New York, NY

I have been working at Rockland Community College (Less than a year)

Pros

Good art dept, nice people

Cons

need to expand the department

Advice to Management

more funding for the department needed

6. "Administration"

Former Employee - Administrator in Suffern, NY

I worked at Rockland Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, suburban setting and free parking.

Cons

Expected to do more with less constantly with little acknowledgement. Senior management doesn't collaborate well with staff and faculty. Low morale. Difficult to advance as culture is to employ externally instead of promoting from within.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the contributions from your staff instead of constantly looking to demean them.

7. "Excellent environment, excellent benefits"

Current Employee - Administrator
    Current Employee - Administrator

I have been working at Rockland Community College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I noticed a previous negative review here from a former employee and wanted to say that this person's experience is not what I have seen at RCC. Senior administration is very capable and the President has grown the College tremendously since he took his position 12 years ago. The mold problem which this other reviewer claimed was an issue was investigated by an independent company and no mold was found. This didn't stop several employees from taking advantage of the situation to work out a better work situation for themselves (several moved to better locations on campus, one person moved off campus and is almost certainly working from home with no oversight, etc.)

Cons

It's a heavily union environment which makes it very difficult to get anything done. There are countless individuals who are terrible at their jobs but getting rid of them is next to impossible because of the time and cost involved of going through months or years of mediation.

Advice to Management

Make the necessary tough decisions to move the College forward. Stop being afraid of getting into fights in order to "keep the peace" and maintain the status quo.

8. "Good experience and nice environment to work in"

I worked at Rockland Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with with opportunity to grow

Cons

Usual school politics get in the way.

9. "I had a pleasent job as a Computer Lab Technician."

Pros

Friendly Place, Friendly Co-workers, Excellent Hands On Training and Experience.

Cons

Transportation. A Vehicle is needed to reach the location. However Bus systems are available if you live within the local Suffern, NY, or Monsey, NY area.

Advice to Management

No Comment.

10. "The most horrific experience I've had in 20 years as an educator!"

Former Employee - Administrator in Suffern, NY

I worked at Rockland Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NONE. Ok, maybe the sweet students.

Cons

The most disfunctional administration I've ever experienced. President has fallen asleep in meetings more than once, the tenured faculty (some) are extremely abusive and overpaid, there is a horrific mold problem in Brucker Hall and the old Academic buildings that has required some people to sue the school (and they've won!) and despite having $ to address the problem, RCC does nothing about it. Their lack of ethics is astounding. Perhaps worst of all is that people are terrified of losing their jobs. I've never worked at a college with more lawsuits flying around. It is the MOST TOXIC environment - emotionally and physically - that I have EVER worked in.

Advice to Management

I have no advice except that you should all take a GOOD LOOK in the mirror and ask yourselves how you choose to fail daily.