Cover image for Rockset

92% Recommend to a Friend
78% Approve of CEO

Found 23 of over 24 reviews

4.8
Rockset CEO Venkat Venkataramani (no image)
Venkat Venkataramani

77 Comments

Tech

572.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Rockset~2213192
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Rockset? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Rockset employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people in all functions to work with(in 4 reviews)
  • "everyone is helpful and love the culture(in 3 reviews)
  • "Great Leadership(in 3 reviews)
  • "I get to work with an awesome team daily.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great culture

Jun 17, 2022 - Sales Development Representative (SDR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

everyone is helpful and love the culture

Cons

potential funding issues but that's the life of a start up

2. 2.0

Disorganized and Dishonest

Aug 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great technology, smart people, interesting use cases and good comp plans.

Cons

The company is a cult of personality that absolutely revolves around the CEO and the Chief Product Officer. As a result, their hands are in everything, micromanaging even the jobs of other management to the extent that they can't effectively do their jobs. The amount of "big brother is watching you" vibe is unreal. Everything is tracked, every call is recorded and reviewed, and feedback is often voiced as "here's what you did wrong." Don't ever be seen disagreeing with the CEO or CPO, or you'll be on the naughty list. There're definitely people playing favorites here. In addition, there's no proper management for super important business functions. For instance, there's still no CFO. There's no COO dedicated to making sure everyone is working effectively. The Sales team has no consistent message or playbook. As a result, a lot of things are extremely disorganized and hectic. People are often not on the same page, and things are partially communicated to only a small portion of people who need to know about them. This makes even simple tasks confusing and difficult, since there is no standard way of doing things. Lastly, the leadership has been dishonest, not only with employees, but also with potential customers. Many of the features advertised on the website either don't exist or are half baked. Top management often sells non-existent features to potential customers, and then cracks the whip on engineering, forcing them to build the features in record time, all the while telling the customer, "we've always had this feature, and it's been tested and used by other customers."

2 people found this review helpful

Rockset Response

Hey there, First of all, thank you for the feedback. We are sorry you didn't have a great experience at Rockset. Critical feedback like this allows us to get better and we always take them seriously. We are a small team that tries to stay nimble. Our product development and release processes allow us to release a slightly newer version of our product every single week. Unlike traditional enterprise software companies that have 1 or 2 releases in an entire year, we move fast and hustle to get new functionality out quickly. It is a strategic advantage a small startup like us have when we compete against massive incumbents with deep pockets. While it might seem chaotic on the surface, our engineering team has worked tirelessly to make it happen using the wealth of knowledge they have from scaling systems several orders of magnitude larger in their prior lives. We agree with you that this type of fast paced iterative environment is not for everyone. It is unfortunate that you found this environment confusing. Our ability to continuously innovate and iterate quickly is actually one of the biggest reasons we continue to attract top talent across the organization. We are not yet big enough right now (Aug 2022) to have dedicated sales enablement resources or a COO or a CFO. At our scale most of these roles are not yet a full-time job and are best served by someone playing that role part-time or external contractors. Nothing unusual here - just another startup trying to be scrappy. Seems like you thrive in an environment with a lot more structure and we cannot wait for our company to grow up and get there quickly. The only part we strongly disagree in your entire review is about being dishonest. Our <4% annual churn rate and 300+% net dollar retention numbers speak for themselves. So, seems like you are terribly mistaken in this regard and we welcome you to talk to any of our customers directly to hear about their experience with Rockset.

3. Join the Rockset team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company to work, best team

Nov 8, 2021 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Rockset has a team-first value over anything else, which means you are not competing with other co-workers for impact, but instead focusing on getting valuable projects done by collaborating with others. If you just finished writing the code but don't get time to production, no worry, someone will cover your back, and you would do the same thing in return. Product roadmap is clear, we all know what's gonna be built in the next 3 years, and we are super confident to be on the right track.

Cons

Intense working env, has to jump back and forth on multiple projects. You have to enjoy the independence not hate it. Think if you are the type of person who is ready to "feed yourself" with new initiatives. Rockset is not in an aggressive growing mode. With more and more Saas startups raising lots of funds rapidly, you may feel less secure that the company is falling behind. My judgement is that it takes years to build a solid Saas product, and you couldn't expect everything happen over one night, but use your judgement, not mine. If you want to get the company to Nasdaq in 1 year, this is not the right place.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

World class team, challenging problems to solve

Nov 4, 2021 - Marketing in San Mateo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

At Rockset, the things you work on are very visible throughout the whole team and have product impact. It's really awesome to see what you built/created translates to getting the company closer to a milemark, helping customers, and so on. The other thing that's really great at Rockset is there's a lot of visibility on what engineering, marketing, and product are working on. The team at Rockset really goes above and beyond to help you when you ask for it. Everyone really cares about their work and what they are building. The Rockset team is world-class [I don't say this lightly]. You will learn a lot here and there's so much expertise.

Cons

There's not really any major cons- we're a startup, so we may switch directions or approaches fast. I noticed as we're growing, this is less, and less the case. When it happens, the team quickly adapts and we carry on.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great team and growth opportunities

Apr 19, 2022 - Office Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I'm always learning and have grown + sharpened my career skills. I get to work with an awesome team daily. Time off is encouraged.

Cons

None that I can think of.

7. 5.0

Fast Paced High Growth Environment

Nov 8, 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you are looking to hone your skills on the sales development team, this is a fantastic place to do it. With immediate access to all levels of sales management, as well as management of different departments, it makes it very easy to ask questions and set yourself up for success. It is a fast paced environment like most start ups and the strong growth trajectory opens the door for quick advancement. The smaller teams give Rockset a fantastic culture and tremendous visibility into all facets of the company.

Cons

No major cons. I couldn't be happier working here. If you are not looking for an extremely open and/or collaborative environment, then Rockset might not be the fit for you.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing place to work, huge potential

Mar 18, 2022 - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- incredibly talented and passionate co-workers - solid work-life balance - huge market potential

Cons

- growing quickly - some small growing pains - things move fast - not for everyone

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to grow your career and define the future of data

Nov 9, 2021 - Senior Product Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Growth mindset: The company understands that to grow the team has to do things they've never done before. I think the leadership really leans into this and is willing to admit when they're carving a new path or wearing a new hat. Everyone comes together to support that person and make them be successful in the initiative while giving them a high degree of ownership. Willing to take bets: Related to a growth mindset but the company and team is willing to experiment, take bets and lose a few. They'll admit when that happens and apply learnings from the experiments to continue to grow the company. Friendly: The founding team at Rockset is incredibly nice. They take the time to share their own learnings but also use interactions as a way to learn from others at all levels. It's a very collegial environment and people genuinely enjoy bringing their own unique selves. Strong Founding Leadership: As someone whose mid-level in their career, one of my concerns in coming to a startup was having people directly and indirectly that I could learn from to grow my career. The founders and the executive team are seasoned and spend the time to coach and mentor across the company. I have grown immensely since I joined the company and really been able to hone my PMM craft. Supportive: While a startup can be busy, there's always more to do than hands to do it, the company recognizes that people have personal lives and obligations. They are flexible on work schedules and supportive with time off during life-changing events.

Cons

Opinionated but in a good way: It's a culture where everyone is striving to move the company forward and is free to share their ideas and how we can best support customers on their real-time analytics journey. That said, while people have opinions, they're willing to morph and build on the ideas of others to create the best approach to a problem or scenario. I find it to be a very empowering culture.

10. 5.0

Rockset...rocks

Nov 8, 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

- fast pace - great product that is being well received by the market - flexible (as long as you're getting your work done) - visibility - it's a small team, so the work you do is noticed and appreciated

Cons

If you don't like a a fast pace work environment and staying under the radar this is probably not the best place for you.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture, so many learning opportunities

Nov 8, 2021 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Rockset has absolutely brilliant engineers who I am honored to learn from. The environment is open, collaborative, and very goal oriented. It's a fast growing startup and a good place to advance your career.

Cons

Working at a startup can sometimes be hectic, but Rockset does a very good job managing work life balance all considered.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 Reviews
</>Embed

Rockset Reviews FAQs

Rockset has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5, based on over 24 reviews left anonymously by employees. 92% of employees would recommend working at Rockset to a friend and 92% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Rockset employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Rockset. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

92% of Rockset employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Rockset 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.7 for culture and values and 5.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Rockset to be benefits, culture, career development and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Rockset Job Seekers