Rockwell Automation Reviews in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH | Glassdoor

Rockwell Automation President & CEO Blake Moret
Blake Moret
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • one of the best company to provide effective work life balance to the employees (in 89 reviews)

• The company has fostered such amazing work environment that employees have become brand evangelists and they also tend to speak highly of each other (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not a priority (in 23 reviews)

• Slow to Change, Growth Opportunities (in 14 reviews)

1. "Performance & Training Specialist"

Current Employee - Performance & Training in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Performance & Training in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong organizational culture that promotes innovation, diversity, inclusion, safety, and security. Internal training available to all employees.

Cons

Although the culture supports ideas such as diversity and safety, there is often a lag or complete lack of true implementation into organizational practices and procedures.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the younger, more technical and digital workforce that is coming in and work towards updating procedures to enable more productivity from the potential that is already present.

2. "I cannot recommend working here."

Former Contractor - Senior Embedded Software Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Rockwell Automation as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are actually some decent software engineers / similar employed at the Mayfield Heights location. At times there is interesting and challenging work. Employee pay and benefits - for the area - aren't half bad.

Cons

Reading the reviews from other contractors, I have to agree with them as I too heard a lot of derogatory comments aimed at contractors. Even recently during my 2nd stint there - for months an employee sitting in an adjacent cube loudly sharing his opinions a couple times a week. Unfortunately, complaints about it fell on deaf ears.

That wasn't the only annoying and insulting behavior. I and other contractors - being assigned to work with different groups - would do things such as ask employees about participating with them doing company charity work, First Robotics, or even just going to lunch with our group(s). If you are lucky they just ignore you. Less lucky they would lie ( they don't do lunch - as we watch them walk out the door to go to lunch ). Even less lucky - nasty comments - see above.

I also agree on the comments about cronyism and how it is all about who you know - especially when it comes to senior engineering positions. There have been some good hires but I also so just as many where people brought onboard had a fraction of the required skills. What they did have though was a friend that was a senior project engineer or similar that had final say in interviewing and hiring.

Concerning the above paragraph and my personal experience.

I've worked with some very well known companies - ones that most people recognize that start with letters such as M and A and I and so on. I'm on / toward the eastern US now due to a family situation. Rockwell seemed like a decent place from the outside so I had applied for a permanent position. Instead I received a call asking me to come on as a contractor. I took it under the impression there would be a conversion to permanent.

The code I wrote during that 1st stint is an integral part of their newest offering / the board bring-up / bsp / etc. Quite bluntly - I busted my butt for them. Like other experienced contractors I watched as one after another person was brought in and hired instead. If they had been better or even on par with me or others that had applied - that would have been one thing. They weren't though. As an example, one guy they hired didn't know new chip bring-up or multi-core or ARM or WindRiver or even C++ i.e. the main programming language used at Rockwell. The guy literally wrote 0 lines of production code during his 5 years there. He was NOT an anomaly.

When I raised the issue myself about not even being interviewed the answer was absurd. I was told that those people they hired really needed the jobs because they couldn't find any others - and - it was ok because I could get a job anywhere. Seriously - THAT - was the excuse. To add insult to injury - while telling you that - on the side they will tell upper management etc. things such as they asked but you said you weren't interested.

Sigh.

They also tout being LGBT friendly - yeah - about that and the Mayfield Heights location... 1st stint a guy they hired ( someone's friend ) decides to start telling me what he thought was "wrong" with various segments of the LGBT community. He even pulled it during a scrum meeting. The response was - it's not a big deal. Another person on my 2nd stint there kept calling me a "se*ual predator" and again nothing. That last one I went to the ombudsman and finally something was done. Local management etc. though - told me I should be "grateful". Gee thanks guys - lol.

The last item to share is the end of my 2nd adventure there. I had another job set up but they needed me to start the same week I was supposed to be leaving Rockwell ( since they wouldn't offer a permanent job ). So out of a 2 year contract - I had asked to leave 3 days earlier than scheduled. While they seem to be confused as to which individual group is responsible for the response i.e. Rockwell, its front facing contract group or perhaps space aliens - the response I received was a threat to be blacklisted. You read that right - and yes - "blacklist" is the word used. I have a copy time stamped etc. that I forwarded to myself and a lawyer friend - from where I received it - my Rockwell email account.

Let's just say - I let them know exactly what I thought of that.

Advice to Management

For those that were decent and kind human beings - thank you.

The problem is that most of you are over at the HQ and how things are supposedly done over there and what is done in Ohio seem to be two very different things. With that said - until the folks at Mayfield start following the actual corporate hiring / ethics / etc. standards - I'm waving every experienced engineer that asks me - away from Rockwell. It's also not just me - there are quite a few other former and current contractors and even employees doing the same.

"Senior Leadership Competent?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits.
    Facility is nice.
    People are nice.
    Sushi Day on Tuesdays
    Friday Omelette Day.

Cons

Where do I start?
    Concerned that the company will seize to exist in 5 years.
    Leadership is severely lacking.
    Not very creative.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees to make the right decisions. Remove hand from cookie jar.

"Reputation of treating employees badly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Rockwell Automation full-time

Pros

Big company perks
    Company wide activities and programs offered throughout the year
    Paycheck & benefits

Cons

The culture is extremely conservative, political, stale, good ole boys club, with a rigid mentality. A culture of exclusion and retaliation seems to be supported.

Lacks diversity in middle and upper management and leadership positions.

The ID teams' management works in direct opposition to Rockwell's ethics mission and will actively use bullying tactics and/or suppress certain individuals based on personal intolerances or judgments. Priding herself on using constructive dismissal tactics to create a hostile work environment that results in employees resigning. HR seems to support this despite the high turnover and numerous complaints.

Very dysfunctional work experience.

Advice to Management

The people are the greatest assets to the organization.

"Great People, So-so Tech"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Coop in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Coop in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Rockwell Automation (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment with management that cares about work-life balance. Co-ops are treated with respect and given autonomy to work on meaningful tasks.

Cons

Working with legacy software is a critical skill for any developer, but if you're young and just starting out, it's probably in your best interest to work somewhere with a more up-to-date stack. There's understandable historical reasons for a long-running project to still be using Clearcase for version control, but no compelling reason for you to start your career doing so.

6. "Great place to work"

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Rockwell Automation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

After working in industries that deal with government contracts for several years it was a relief to find Rockwell Automation. The overall atmosphere of the workplace was so much better than I had experienced elsewhere. The people I worked with were knowledgeable and helpful. The on-site cafeteria was convenient and had pretty decent selections. I didn't dread going into work.

Cons

The biggest downside was that it is located in another state than where my home is currently. The closest restaurants are about 2 miles away so going out for lunch isn't always a good option.

Advice to Management

Keep on growing the business and consider expanding the operations to other states so I don't have to cross four states to work for you again.

"Garbage Treatment"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They give you a check for working and are good at setting up your desk the way you want it.

Cons

You know something is wrong before you even get to the first day on the job because they are a technology company using 20 year old technology to implement their GUI - MFC. Next the industry reputation is that Rockwell is not the home to top talent - well duh.... top talent does not want to develop in MFC.

This might be a viscous cycle that all comes down to how they treat people. It's no secret that many people worked there for decades and Rockwell tried to swindle folks near retirement age out of employment benefits. It could come in many forms like giving the employee way too much work to do and an impossible deadline or the opposite - starving the employee giving them nothing to do at all hoping that they would quit in these circumstances. Typical corporate America here making short term decisions and never thinking about the long term effects. Sure they will question your loyalty when you interview there but if they can find a way to successfully be anti-American and replace you with foreigners they will do it in a second. Zero loyalty for the people who make them great.

Advice to Management

Anything would be too little too late. You're doomed thanks to short term bean counter decision making and having no loyalty for the folks who helped you make your billions. You're using technology literally from a different millennium when the competitors have evolved and are ready to consume you.

"The way I see it"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My group is really great to work with.

Cons

Takes a long time to get simple tasks completed. To much focus on lean projects.

Advice to Management

Less focus on lean, more focus on smart lean. Make it easier for divisions to help each other.

9. "Rockwell Automation"

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Work life balance is excellent. Company very involved with community. Many opportunities to grow. The company has developed a diverse customer base minimizing.

Cons

At times, people complain too much.

Advice to Management

none

"Rockwell ... a good place to work?"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In general, the pay scales are good. The technology and diversity of what you do can keep you challenged and motivated. There are opportunities to travel or to re-locate in a wide variety of global locations. They are also fairly flexible with work schedule. Though not as cool as an apple or a google, Automation still has a pretty high coolness factor. We control almost everything from linear accelerators to automotive assembly and hog processing.

Cons

Upper management has a great tendency to steer off from the focused path of specific products or direction which can be frustrating. Too many managers driving product lines. They do not typically promote in group or team .. which means you need to change job functions and often locations for real promotions. If you want to manage your group .. you have to leave it and come back 3 years later. They put a huge emphasis on sales experience for higher management jobs where sales people tend to get overwhelmed by the technology.

Advice to Management

Honestly. I understand the motivation to diversify employees and cross train in multiple disciplines. But if an employee excels at his job and is really good at it, moving him up in the same organization should be possible. The common experience I believe is you need to leave your job that you have become exceptionally skilled at to get promoted. This is not an isolated incident or a single employee gripe.

Also, people with experience are often not consulted on big picture decisions. Nothing is more frustrating than to see my product line decisions being made above me without at least consultation. After all, the people in the trenches are the ones feeling the pain and understand why some of the subtle decisions are being made.