Rockwell Automation Reviews in Mequon, WI | Glassdoor

Mequon, WI

Rockwell Automation President & CEO Blake Moret
Blake Moret

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • one of the best company to provide effective work life balance to the employees (in 91 reviews)

• The company has fostered such amazing work environment that employees have become brand evangelists and they also tend to speak highly of each other (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is challenging as RA demands a lot of their employees (in 25 reviews)

• Slow to Change, Growth Opportunities (in 14 reviews)

"Good for Full Time, really bad for Contractual Employees"

Former Contractor - Senior Firmware Engineer in Mequon, WI
    Former Contractor - Senior Firmware Engineer in Mequon, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Rockwell is a good place to work if you are a full time employee. The workload is moderate to low during most of the times of the year, except before product launch or when you are chasing a deadline. Also, most of the coworkers are nice and willing to help.

1. Good pay.
    2. Good work-life balance.

Cons

So here comes the cons. Rockwell is like a bus, and its good to be inside the bus. Contractors are treated 'outside the bus'. You do not really feel an integral part of the company if you are contractual. You are here mostly to run errands, not any 'real task' that is important, but mostly to get things running, or to show the management that everyone is busy. And even if you have a better idea of doing something, you are not allowed to because you are a contractor. Your hands are mostly tied and you are there to follow orders. You are not allowed to have access to or be a part of work that requires information that are company confidential, or part of IP (Intellectual Property). Also, I wrote most of the coworkers are nice, but not all of them. Lot of company politics, and you are always the victim if you are contractor. When it comes down to find a scapegoat, find a contractor. I was treated in a very bad way by a full time employee, who was not even my boss. He was of the same rank/designation as mine and did not have the educational qualification the same as mine. Also, I often overheard other full time people treating contractors/yelling at them in a very bad way. They have nowhere to turn to because they are always in constant fear of losing their job and they are not hired by Rockwell HR, so the policy against discrimination, etc does not apply for them. No paid vacation/benefits for contractors as well. And while I was there, I saw a few contractor whose contract was terminated suddenly, in a days notice, and they had to either find a new job or to go back to their country. Now the company does not like it when it's other way around. I kept telling the management for months that I am looking forward to a full time position at Rockwell, and they did not care. Now when I finally told them that I found a very good full time position in another company, they treated me in a horrible way.

1. Horrible treatment to contractual employees. Also, you have nowhere to turn to if you are contractor because you are not even hired by Rockwell HR. Your recruiting agency is even worse.
    2. Extremely slow company, run by old people. For example, most people like very dark workplace instead of bright light.
    3. Very laid back attitude by most of the old people who runs the company or in the senior positions. Makes you laid back after a several months. Not good if you want to grow your career fast. You don't really learn any new skill that can be helpful for your next job.

Advice to Management

1. Respect the contractual employees. Run some checks if they are treated badly by the full time employees. Because they are.

2. If you have a potential temporary employee who might be good for the company in the long run, make him full time as soon as possible. US graduates with Masters/PhD from top schools are not here to run errands and be in continuous fear of losing job or contracts being terminated at any time.

3. Get rid of some of the older people who is there getting paid but not doing any real work.

2. "Electrical Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Electrical Engineer Intern in Mequon, WI
    Former Intern - Electrical Engineer Intern in Mequon, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to start your career with little experience

Cons

Not recommended for people who actually know stuff. Not much innovation in product development. Bad pay for a grad student

3. "Growing and demanding manufacturing facility"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mequon, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mequon, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation full-time

Pros

Clean facility, workout room, friendly co-workers, pay for performance

Cons

Management and support functions rotate too often, large wage disparities on the shop floor, poor vision or lack of direction from management

Advice to Management

Stay focused on realistic goals and issues within your control. Goals and metrics are only taken seriously if you know what is truly attainable. We want to learn from YOU. Continuous improvement projects are very beneficial so long as they are followed through until the end and sustained. Don't let employees cheat the QEK program, it hurts more than helps. Put a quota on individuals to avoid such shady behavior. Appreciate ALL employees. Don't push out the ones you don't know how to mentor or coach.

4. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mequon, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mequon, WI

Pros

Flexible hours and Sumer hours where you work 10 hrs per day and Friday off.

Cons

Good place to work only if have a good first level of manager. These first level managers come and go every two to three years and some will make you give up the Rok.

Advice to Management

None! There is not impact to Managment

5. "Good Place. Too Much Drama"

Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in Mequon, WI
    Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in Mequon, WI

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time

Pros

Good place to work and learn if you're willing to learn. It seems like an old boys' club. There's a mix of talent and diversity ranging from tenured engineers to new grads. Unfortunately, there are also incompetent people that hide among the masses and literally do no meaningful work besides talk a lot. Benefits are good but health insurance premiums are a little high but not a deal breaker. The company prides itself in diversity; however, it could do better. Management talks a lot about employee growth and personal career development but they are seriously lacking in that department. Mid year and end year employee reviews are a joke and managers don't seem to be taking them seriously. Overall, lots of good friendly people to learn from. The bonuses and raises are nothing to write home about; however, they are pretty competitive when it comes to salary so you may end up starting at a pretty good number.

Cons

-Manager's don't take mid/end year reviews seriously
    -Diversity is lacking
    -Quite a few unqualified people hiding among the masses
    -Weak bonuses and raises

Advice to Management

-Take employee career development seriously. 80-20-10 is great but if management is not enabling the employees and helping them with it then its useless
    -Listen to everyone's opinion and not just the graying John Doe that's been there forever

"Don't spend your career here"

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Mequon, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Mequon, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

World class talent in automation, and good mobility within the organization.

Cons

Typical middle management in-fighting and inconsistent execution in middle management also. Ridiculous reliance on outside consultants for failed initiatives.

Advice to Management

Thin down the layers and simplify the message.

"Supervisor"

Former Employee - Support Supervisor in Mequon, WI
    Former Employee - Support Supervisor in Mequon, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever meet. Most areas of the business are world class. A good place to work. Pay can be competitive.

Cons

I really don't have many cons. The items that are controlled by the management team run well. Some of the employee issue resolution processes need improvements.

Advice to Management

Stick to the path and keep on holding people accountable for their actions. However, don't allow those from outside of your area to make decisions for you without a full investigation. Don't just roll over!

8. "It was good working at this company"

Current Intern - Intern in Mequon, WI
    Current Intern - Intern in Mequon, WI

I have been working at Rockwell Automation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Received exciting projects to work on.

Cons

Give more preference to people's skills than technical skills.

"Stone Age Rockwell - Don't Let Common Sense Get in the Way of Growth"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Mequon, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Mequon, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good product., good values.

Cons

Archaic, still using many legacy software products, cannot see the forest through the trees, resulting in HUGE inefficiencies.

Advice to Management

Keeping looking for how to improve; don't just keep repeating old and bad operational and management mistakes.

10. "A Bitter Sweet Experience"

Former Contractor - Tester, Assembly, Material Handler in Mequon, WI
    Former Contractor - Tester, Assembly, Material Handler in Mequon, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

some of the people really tried to work and encourage me. I learned alot about variious aspects of Material Handling,Shipping,Assembly, and Testing. The Engineers were very helpful,and taught me alot about the company,and the Manufacturing process.

Cons

Was not able to connect with the right people to get placed permanently. Could have used more guidance in finding the right direction.

Advice to Management

Give more clues as to what direction would be best for job candidates.

Showing 11 of 1,001 reviews