Rockwell Collins Project Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Project Engineer

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Have to be ok living in Cedar Rapids (in 127 reviews)

• I'd rather be an intern than full time as there doesn't seem to be much of a work/life balance once you're hired full time (in 23 reviews)

1. "Great for stepping stone, wouldn't recommend to get lost in going nowhere"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Project Assistant in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Project Assistant in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its great for job security, 40 hours a week and benefits. They offer tuition reimbursement and very much great atmosphere.

Cons

If you are someone who would like to move forward in career and engineer, I completely encourage you to take advantage of the tuition reimbursement and mentoring opportunities to get involved in different networks to grow.

Advice to Management

No comment.

"Unique Product, Unique Environmemt"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly, casual office environment.
    Reasonable schedualing.
    Oppourtunity for promotion and travel.

Cons

Management is more focused on deadlines than procedure sometimes, forcing leadership to encourage crew to "get it done" and document non-conformances later (sometimes much later). Current leadership is starting to turn that mentality around.

Advice to Management

"Get-r-done" is a catchy phrase for a comedian, not a good policy for million dollar products subject to FAA/EASA regulations.

3. "Great culture, good projects and great benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good health benefits
    9/80 option
    Great people to work with

Cons

Overall company culture is heavily process oriented which can get mundane after initial few years.

4. "Working at Rockwell Collins"

Current Employee - Engineering Project Specialist in Marion, IA
    Current Employee - Engineering Project Specialist in Marion, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rockwell Collins is very forward thinking and is really concerned for their employee's well-being. They truly are working in the direction of making Rockwell Collins the "Best Place to Work".

Cons

A big downside to working at Rockwell Colins is adjusting for the Economic Turbulence in the airline industry. But I do have to say they really try to adjust for it without having to do big layoffs.

5. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing/Project Engineer in Rockledge, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing/Project Engineer in Rockledge, FL

I have been working at Rockwell Collins (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work at.

Cons

Nothing, great place to work.

"Good well organized company that has its stuff together"

Former Employee - Engineering Project Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Engineering Project Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Just like the title says, Rockwell Collins was a good organized company that really does have its stuff together. The salary is not that great if you move up through the ranks, but if you leave and come back they will get it where they need it to be The benefits are awesome. I cannot say enough good things about them.

Cons

They do a lot of reorganizations throughout the ranks which is slightly discomforting, but it keeps things interesting for sure.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

7. "Engineering Project Assistant"

Current Contractor - Engineering Project Assistant in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Contractor - Engineering Project Assistant in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work above job desciption.

Cons

No training available. Must learn on the job. No real sense of a team.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Engineering Project Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career expansion opportunities
    Strong company
    Great Networking

Cons

Lots of HR redtape to traverse during career growth.

"Changing times, depreciating manners."

Pros

Benefits
    401K
    A desk, a chair and a computer with monitor. Privacy and peace are too much to ask for.
    (Cubes are shared by EPS and interns, expect click-clack from your neighbor all day.)

Cons

Bad weather that makes you depressed for at least 6 months every year.

Lot to say about HR... but, this little comment I read elsewhere gives an excellent count on HR at the company:

This is the HR of the new millenium. However, HR is a misnomer, especially in a down economy. True "Human Resources" is dead. It is now Corporate Resources or "CR". In effect, the human or employee element is reduced to "can I fill the role I am hiring for when I want you." No communication, no negotiating, just be at my beck and call on my (company's) schedule, not your own. We don't take calls, we make very few calls, we don't answer questions, we don't protect the rights of employees, or potential new hires, we merely recruit. We recruit when told, we fire when told, and spend as little of the company's money as possible in the process. The resources part is outsourced to some other Asia-based location, or in some cases watered-down to a handbook that is updated regularly and supplied to you on an automated scheduled email. HR is a coin-op machine in the lobby.

Look for every opportunity to circumvent HR when you can. My deepest sympathies to anyone that needs to communicate with HR, because I'd rather have a root canal.

Senior leadership is not in touch with the ground realities. Voice of Employee is not being taken seriously. many middle managers are damaging the environment with their selfish agendas (They are experts of sleeping through problems and finding scapegoats). INACTION is NOT LEADERSHIP. POSTMORTEM is NOT LEADERSHIP. FAULT-FINDING is NOT LEADERSHIP. TACTICAL MICROMANAGEMENT is NOT LEADERSHIP. Unfortunately, all the managers I worked with here in the company fail to act, find faults 'after the failure', fail to take responsibility for the results of their micromanagement and basically drive employees out.

Advice to Management

Close the HR department. They are a big waste of company's money... hire recruiters... and call them recruiters. With great power comes great responsibility, try to live up to it and stand up to the challenges.
    Management stopped trying and went into a default "Saving my a** everyday" mode. Your jobs are meaningless when you fail to deliver "leadership".
    Senior management needs to be tough on the middle management. Too much of "Saving my a**" leads to poor employee morale... I hope you are seeing it.

"Heading in the right direction but this large company will take a long time to arrive."

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Project Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Project Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Established company. Publicly traded. In order to maintain CMMI and ISO levels of accreditation, Rockwell Collins must follow policies and processes.

Cons

Constantly high stress levels for past 18 months. Lean staffing creates 45 to 50-hour work weeks without overtime reimbursement. Management will not allow a week-long vacation for past year due to staffing concerns.

Advice to Management

Constant surveillance of middle managers to ensure that they are supporting ethics and diversity through their actions with staff. Unfortunately, a few middle manager still act as if it were 1980 when they could dump on staff instead of delegating (which would help train new leaders within the organization through exposure to the responsibilities of leadership), berate and disempower their teams through statements such as 'you do not earn enough money here to have an opinion on that issue' and teasing a team member in front of co-workers concerning personal habits.
    Hierarchical systems make difficult marriages with team-based structures. Someone needs to tell a few electrical engineers that a Bachelor's degree only opens a door, it does not give them license to be the royalty at Rockwell Collins.
    Team managers have been recently dubbed as career coaches and trainers for their young teams. If these managers did not have coaching skills before August 2008 and Rockwell Collins has provided little training to them, what can be expected from these managers but the same old ways of micromanaging those who excel at their jobs while ignoring a few electrical engineers who are consistently slow performers?