Rockwell Collins Reviews | Glassdoor

Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated July 25, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • People are down to earth and know how to have a work/life balance in a sometimes high stress environment (in 130 reviews)

• well known company good benefits (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to be ok living in Cedar Rapids (in 126 reviews)

• I'd rather be an intern than full time as there doesn't seem to be much of a work/life balance once you're hired full time (in 23 reviews)

"Sr. Maintenance Tech"

Former Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Coralville, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Insurance and pay was good.

Cons

The department head was horrible at lying, and even worse at managing the group.
    Once you top out on the pay scale, there's no bridge to a salaried position, so you basically have to leave the company for two or three years and reapply.

Advice to Management

Find some better frontline managers, and don't be so afraid to promote from within. Some of the hourly people are better at managing than the managers are.

"Repair Station Manager"

Former Employee - Repair Station Manager in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Repair Station Manager in Newport News, VA

I worked at Rockwell Collins (More than a year)

Pros

No pros here. They bought our company out, and then made our employees train theirs, knowing were going to be laid off. They also didn't give their employees enough time to learn our products.

Cons

Read below statements. The worst company I have ever worked for. You progress in this business by surrounding yourself with the best technicians you can find, you train them in your business prospective, and you cut them loose. You don't micro manage them, you just keep your eye on them, and give them their job objectives on a daily basis. You would be amazed on how well this management style works. Once you a have developed the best maintenance team you can assemble, you take very good care of them . I used to flat rate all of my inspections. When the techs best the flat rate, I kept records for each quarter . If we has no warranty issues, I paid each technican his share . All were happy, customers were satisfied with the work performed on their aircraft. Keep it simple stupid.

Advice to Management

Lack of concern for the employees of the company they purchased. Out front lying to said employees about future employment. A high layer of fat in upper management. You are paying upper management way too much for what they accomplish. If you want to be successful in future buy outs, take more of the experienced employees from said company in to your own. I was not impressed at all with your process or procedures. I had been managing Repair stations for 30 year's, and saw through all of your flaws, and the lies you told our employees in the first 30 days. I saw no concept of loyalty or integrity in your company, and refused to be a part of your sham.

3. "Viscious"

Former Contractor - Engineering Administrative in Tustin, CA
    Former Contractor - Engineering Administrative in Tustin, CA

I worked at Rockwell Collins as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Engineering projects and engineering team.

Cons

Admin management horrible. Shocking that women are incredibly vicious to one another in what should be a professional and supportive environment comprised of 95% men.

Advice to Management

Become involved in the management of your Admin staff & be aware that Admins are oppressed by unprofessional vicious women that you have designated to manage them because you do not care to become involved with what is happening under your nose. Certainly not the aerospace industry of the past. Tragic to say the least.

"Electronics technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Close to home, has benefits, good to put on your resume

Cons

Not really the best place to work, lots of negative changes have been made in the last 5-6 years. Poor judgement made by CEO and directors of plants. excessive on the policy changes and new policies. In 2013, new policies and union contracts were laid out for 15% wage cuts on incoming along with 2.5% raises instead of 4% on current union contracts. Most salary employees are not seeing much of an increase in any annually and have not for about 5 years. It looks like across the board they are cutting deep into their labor both BU and salary sides. Lots of terminations going on with older pre 2013 employees, policy changes on short term leave, disability, A/S leaves and FMLA policies. Higher and higher premiums almost every year. They are cutting the funding on education reimbursement now as well.

Advice to Management

Lets try treating people like people instead of numbers making widgets. When you can brag to the public so frequently on your company's ever increasing quality, safety, & on time delivery goals, you should respect the people that get you there. As long as this company continues its tighter and more gestapo like policy changes, the moral will drop. This means the turn around in the personnel will increase, the safety, quality and all other six sigma monitored columns will drop. Then the stock will drop. Lets get back to our roots and employ or promote people from within for the abilities and qualifications instead of just looking for a certain piece of paper. Not every person that goes to college ends up more prepared for the task at hand. The promoting from within was a good thing. It helps clean out the bottom layer for new entries. When the staff know that they will get help with the degree they seek and that they will be rewarded in the end for their efforts, the become motivated.

"Unprofessional, unethical, Machiavellianism workplace at it's finest."

Current Contractor - Service Tech
    Current Contractor - Service Tech

I have been working at Rockwell Collins as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Some managers and leads are ethical, and true to their words and company mission. If you scratch the right person the right way, doors will open. For some, this system works. Most of the operations employees are true to their word, honest, and hard working.

Cons

Hypocritical, dishonest, and unethical leaders and department heads. This is a place where, if you are a senior manager or veteran, you can avoid work, sleep at your desk, work unapproved overtime, disregard company policy and procedure, create a hostile work environment, and not have ANY of those issues addressed directly and appropriately according to RC policy.

Advice to Management

Break the paradigm of poor leadership. Promote and hire according to skill set and value an employee will bring to the company. Don't slander your superior in front of your whole team. I have never worked in a more unprofessional place. I heard good stories going into this job, but was quickly shocked at how untrue it all was. I must have had an amazing run of employment before this job.

"IPT Leader socializing with her employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, and Medical.

Cons

IPT leader that came from Cedar Rapids changes your reviews from what your manager gives you. She shows favoritism and promotes her friends. She goes to Las Vegas with her employees and also goes to bars and drinks with her employees. She doesn't know how to draw the line from being a true leader. Low Morale ever since she came to Melbourne.

Advice to Management

IPT leaders or Managers should not be allowed to go out drinking and partying with their employees, and getting drunk on the Christmas party to where they carry out one of her buddy friends.

"Sad into what it evolved!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to move laterally within company.

Cons

Short Answer: Poor Company Culture.

A bit more detail:
    - Strive for excellence is not appreciated. Mediocrity seems to be the expectation.

- Too many managers with minimal domain expertise, if any.

- Political infighting between shared service units massively deteriorates Team Spirit and productivity.

- Too "Cedar-Rapids" centric, no recognition of the product diversity.

- Glass-Ceiling for career advancement; transfers from Cedar Rapids are treated preferentially over local talent. "Career development" is lip service. There is no succession planning.

- Engineering company run by lawyers and accountants - or Pepperdine MBAs who think they are God's gift to economy.

- There is never enough budget or time to do things right, but there is always budget and time to do things over thrice that way (Keep doing the same thing but expecting different results).

- No empowerment, no enablement. Micromanagement is prevalent.

If you like your work, you'll hate working at Rockwell Collins.

(Note: This review is for the Tustin location.)

Advice to Management

Rebuild company culture at regional locations.

"Unethical"

Pros

People below director level made the job great

Cons

Unethical bunch laid off 21 days prior to 30K in restricted stock vesting. Severance package 14K minus the 30K lost in stock equal the most unethical company I've seen

Advice to Management

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way

"Not worth the salary"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Flexible work schedule, often worked on Saturdays or Sundays to take the following Friday off.
    Casual dress code
    The heads of departments and upper management seem to have it together and they really care but it just doesn't flow down like I wish it would.
    Most coworkers are helpful and nice.

Cons

No free coffee - does this company even value their employees?
    So disorganized. No one ever seems to know what's going on or who is doing what work.
    On-boarding is just doing Computer Based Training and none of it is relevant to the work.
    They put no effort into teaching interns/coops the avionics that we are working on.
    Direct management is more negative than positive. They are always hounding us on what we didn't accomplish rather than congratulating us on what we did accomplish.
    They hire Computer Science majors telling us we will be doing software and then give us requirement work.

Advice to Management

Put more time into the lower managers. They need the most help and they seem to be the ones who care the least about employees.

Rockwell Collins Response

Jul 28, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment. As for your specific comment regarding on-boarding, I can tell you that there's a new platform that will soon be launched that will be transformational... More

"Don't work here if you're not at the mothership"

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It seems if you want to work in Cedar Rapids Iowa, this can be a job you can just work until you retire.

Cons

You name it, middle management is 'only' out for their well being and will cut anyone loose that doesn't tow the party line. Never worked for a more unethical company in my career - don't let management tell you where to 'hide the money' without explicit consent.

Showing 136 of 1,266 reviews