Rockwell Collins Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kelly Ortberg

Pros
Cons
  • Opportunities outside of Cedar Rapids are slim (in 121 reviews)

• I'd rather be an intern than full time as there doesn't seem to be much of a work/life balance once you're hired full time (in 22 reviews)

"shortsighted executives driving company into the ground"

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Pay
    Decent benefits
    clean work environment with friendly atmosphere

Cons

There is no job security. The commercial aviation industry is in decline and Rockwell Collins is going down with it.

Last year the company had actionable business intelligence that there would be a decline is business in the commercial aviation industry. Despite this they hired at least 5 new electronics test technicians at the Cedar Rapids factory. They are now laying off 9 test technicians.

This willingness to sacrifice peoples' well being for short term gain demonstrates a lack of concern for the local community and a disregard for ethical business practices.

If you will be involved with the manufacturing component of Rockwell Collins, I would steer clear. Trends are pointing toward further automation and hollowing out the workforce to save money.

As the aviation industry continues to decline, I predict even management positions, engineers and other support staff will be hollowed out along with the blue collar employees.

"Okay Until it was offshored"

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There were some fantastic people there, the work was dynamic and a path to promotion.

Cons

Then the company started to layoff the workers and offshore the work to India, China, Mexico. The managers who were decent left for other companies and those who are left are not quality. The quality ones have taken a step back not wanting to deal with the difficult and never ending issues of the company.
    I trained my replacement, when they promised they would retain me. Two weeks, to the day, after I finished training my replacement, I was let go.
    While Iowa is okay for work, I do not recommend working for this company as there is no longer a path for getting promoted or compensation. The benefits have slowly eroded and no longer compensatory. I would try the larger companies for a somewhat more stable career path.

Advice to Management

None, Corporate has made it clear that they are not interested in what the personnel have to say.

3. "Employees come second to Wall Street"

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and BEnefits generally comparable to Industry
    Worked with smart and capable people

Cons

Employee pay/benefits and any other discretionary budget will be sacrificed to meet earning statements to Wall Street
    Process driven culture eliminates flexibility to respond to a customer quickly
    Risk aversion impacts ability to be cost competitive
    Laid off employees are immediately treated like an outcast, no respect for years of company loyalty
    Leadership doesn't understand niche markets

Advice to Management

Corporate motto is "building trust everyday". Nice words but actions frequently show that it is superficial vice foundational.

"No Leadership"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy commute and nice colleagues to work with

Cons

No respect from management. No leadership. Upper management incapable of making decisions in a timely fashion.

Advice to Management

Look closely at your new management team because they don't have the proper experience. The problem is that there is no respect for the mission critical facilities.

"Hit and Miss Management"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked with some great people and had some good managers. I've had the opportunity to work on everything from embedded low-level software to applications, so I appreciate the diversity of work.

Cons

I got a new manager a year ago who was a fresh MBA grad. He totally blindsided me with a negative year-end review after telling me all year long that I was doing great work. I work on a project completely separate from the rest of my team and he came to only one of my bi-weekly meetings that he was invited to all year long.

His review was full of inaccuracies and I have documentation that shows he made up multiple issues. When I questioned it, he basically admitted that he made it up to fit the review and proceeded to tell me what other people in the team and in the dept got for their reviews. Obviously the trust is gone, and telling me about other people's reviews was completely unethical.

To make matters worse, HR doesn't care. To them I'm just another bad performer complaining about my year-end review. On top of that, I can't successfully apply to other positions within the company that would allow me the opportunity to succeed. HR tosses my applications before the hiring manager sees them because of my negative review.

For these reasons, I'm quite frustrated at this company. I have a bad boss and would love the opportunity to move to another department to prove myself. I'm still in shock over this after two months, I don't understand why this manager would try to do this to me, and why it's ok that he did what he did. I was consistently a good/high performer until I got stuck with this manager.

Other cons? The medical plan is awful, almost everybody I know that has a spouse that works elsewhere, they choose their spouse's insurance plan instead.

Advice to Management

Hire GOOD managers. Also employee morale is low in light of the announced acquisition shortly after you told employees their raises would be delayed for 8 months.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Rockwell Collins (More than a year)

Pros

Good people need new business.

Cons

Middle management useless. Need to focus on big picture.

Advice to Management

Streamline Middle management and promote from within instead of seeking Iowa transplants.

"Playing Financial Games"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are kept studiously in line with market average.

Cons

Imagine if you told your children that you had to cancel buying Christmas presents because money was tight. And then you bought a new mansion. Your children would be understandably upset. Most employees at Rockwell Collins are under-compensated and have been told that there will be salary freezes for 2/3 of 2017, plus layoffs. Simultaneously, Rockwell Collins is buying B/E Aerospace for $6.4 billion. Employees are understandably upset.

Advice to Management

Management has a penchant for treating employees as though they are ignorant children. Why would you hire professionals and then insult their intelligence?

9. "Great place to work if you want to coast... Not for everyone."

Current Employee - Program Support Specialist in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Program Support Specialist in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance. Flexible hours. Reasonable benefits. Good growth opportunities within the company.

Cons

Low energy workplace. Many of the employees show up and are completely checked out and go through the motions to collect a paycheck and benefits. The company's culture stifles new ideas and lacks innovation.

"Subcontract Program Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Subcontracts Program Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Subcontracts Program Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, people, job, friends and weather

Cons

Company, HR, ambiguity, antagonistic, degrading, false or fabricated statements by management

Advice to Management

Empowerment, integrity, confidence, assurance. Trust those around you, avoid false statements and look up the meaning of integrity. Avoid the good old boy club, and do what you say.

"Blatant Cronyism, Impotent HR oversight"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time

Pros

Nice People overall. Given a fair assessment of qualifications when hiring from external.

Cons

Company tagline must work externally because internal advancement successful, nearly always by invitation only. Qualified candidates are not allowed to compete. Initially thought the abundance of young engineers was invigorating, came to realize mature employees encouraged to move on.

Advice to Management

36 years of combined Avionics development experience at other companies, unable to get a chair at internal interviews to advance. No oversight by disinterested advocates for trust. Please walk the talk.

Showing 156 of 1,180 reviews