Rockwell Collins Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 20, 2017

5.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Have to be ok living in Cedar Rapids (in 127 reviews)

• They help to provide a good work life balance giving a very "Midwestern" atmosphere (in 24 reviews)

"Long Term Success can be achieved"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Over the years I have found that Rockwell Collins provides many opportunities for learning and improving on your career. There are solid mentoring programs that anyone can participate in and advancement is certainly available in many different areas. You do not need to be an engineer to succeed as there a plenty of opportunities to advance. As a person that grew up in the midwest I appreciate the location and the many smart people I work with and for. Had chances to leave but felt that Rockwell Collins was always fair to me. I like the many markets that we are in and the fact that there is good balance between the Government and Commercial business.

Cons

sometimes hard to get recognized

Advice to Management

Get out more and see your employees, especially when they are in different buildings

2. "Easy to be proud to work here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Excellent company, pay and benefits. Family oriented company with strong ethics. This company has an excellent reputation in the industry for good, solid, products. Innovative and reliable. Smaller company prevents getting "lost" in the noise. Individual can make an impact.

Cons

Conservative company can be frustrating in decision making. However, it keeps us off the front page. Rockwell Collins is very careful about it's reputation and image and how it is percevied within the industry. Consequently, it can be slow to make decisions until all angles are reviewed. This is also a positive in maintaining the integrity of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep going where you're going but speed it up a bit.

3. "Rockwell Collins - the best company in the world to develop your career!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

It's great to work for a company that puts so much effort into forecasting the direction of our company. We don't make snap or rash decisions, we take the time to do the research and gauge the market to make good, smart business decisions to insure the future success of our company. I also love the fact that the company focuses on wellness and work-life balance. They truly understand that burnt-out employees are non-productive employees. They go above and beyond to look out for their employees. It's truly a pleasure and honor to work for a company that places so much emphasis on integrity and performance.

Cons

I've yet to run into any downside. Like any big company, there are times during the year when you have to travel or log some hours, but it's the price of doing business in this industry.

Advice to Management

Continue with the direction we're heading. Continue the emphasis on diversity. Take a hard look at compensation. We are very competitive, but if we could ratchet it up a notch or two...we might find ourselves as the employer of choice in this industry.

4. "Rockwell Collins, A Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

Pros

The Organizational Culture, Great Benefits, Established and Growing Company, Great resources, diversity in the work place, effective change management, performance based compensation, good self help programs, and an organizational mentoring program

Cons

The size of company can leave one feeling like they are just another number ! The Organizational Structure is tall, Constant acquisitions requires constant integration, Uses Lotus Notes, not Outlook

Advice to Management

Develop teams where mission allows. Empower managers (team leaders) to develop, coach, reward, and punish team members, Microsoft Office and Outlook

"Rockwell Collins"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Rockwell Collins is a dynamic and growing company. They have a lot of good processes in place but like any big company, they don't always practice what they preach.

Cons

Corporate emits a lot of arrogance. This blocks any strengths or creativity that purchased division may have. Like all corporations, the top dog takes home million dollar bonuses while the workers suffer.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and lead by example. Companies are acquired because they are successful not because they are lame.

"Best in Class"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Challenging Work
    Management communicates frequently, is visible and supports team building events
    On the spot instant compensation or rewards (movie tickets etc.)
    Seems like more opportunies for new business
    Great people that care!!!!

Cons

Busy and need some extra hours but doubt more than Google, Microsoft, Yahoo etc.

Advice to Management

I''ve worked at a lot of other places (GE and Garmin) and hope you all realize the high quality of people you have here. This is the best place I've been in the aviation business

"Rockwell is a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

-Amazing benefits
    -Great employee activities and Rockwell sponsored clubs
    -Co-ops are given a lot of freedom to get involved with real work and meetings/discussions
    -Projects are cutting edge and very cool
    -Lots of free food!!

Cons

Cedar Rapids isn't the most exciting place in the world (especially in winter); however, there are excellent biking trails and nice parks. The flood kind of wiped out downtown while I was there.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't change anything about the leadership in my group. Never was micromanaged to any extent. The review process is a little strange, but if you have done a good job, you will get rewarded.

"A very good place to work, where you can really make a difference."

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Great people to work with, flexible hours, challenging work, advancement opportunies.

Cons

Can be slow to make decisions. A risk adverse culture.

Advice to Management

Challenge the status quo. Push the organization towards innovation. Continue to reward top talent.

"Great! They worked well to train each intern."

Former Employee - Undergraduate Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

They train you well for the internship.

Cons

There were no weekly reviews on my performance.

Advice to Management

Review each intern on a weekly basis

10. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

World class engineering and products

Cons

Engineering mentality, not as adept in marketing

Showing 235 of 1,351 reviews