Rockwell Collins Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 28, 2017
1,155 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,155 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • People are down to earth and know how to have a work/life balance in a sometimes high stress environment (in 128 reviews)

• well known company good benefits (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to be ok living in Cedar Rapids (in 126 reviews)

• I'd rather be an intern than full time as there doesn't seem to be much of a work/life balance once you're hired full time (in 23 reviews)

"A major player in the aviation industry"

Former Employee - Principal Marketing Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Principal Marketing Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good focus on the employees

Cons

Will die like a dinosaur

2. "Solid Conservative Company"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Average Benefits, Solid compensation.

Cons

Benefits have been reduced over the last few years. Employees lack empowerment

Advice to Management

Work to inspire and empower work force. Launch some new product development activities to keep the teams motivated.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable benefits, peer to peer support and relationships are good, most employees are deep in subject knowledge. Good compensation.

Cons

Management is one dimensional, and that is all things finance. Numbers always first, and then a veiled message about caring about the employee.

Advice to Management

Stop assuming your subordinates are buying into your strategic direction; pay more attention to what your street-level resources are telling you about product, expectation, and market dynamics.

"Run, Run away as far as you can"

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, all amazing to work with with the normal exceptions in a corporate culture.

Cons

Conservative, very conservative management style. If you are not an engineer think twice about Rockwell Collins, unless your dream place is to stay in Cedar Rapids. No fair opportunities for advancement...you think differently and is your death sentence. Want to advance your career? Then you must be invited to join their "leadership club". Don't believe me? Ask anyone in operations. Best of luck....you will need it.

Advice to Management

You have managers in leadership positions. Not the same thing.

"Repair Station Manager"

Former Employee - Repair Station Manager in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Repair Station Manager in Newport News, VA

I worked at Rockwell Collins (More than a year)

Pros

No pros here. They bought our company out, and then made our employees train theirs, knowing were going to be laid off. They also didn't give their employees enough time to learn our products.

Cons

Read below statements. The worst company I have ever worked for. You progress in this business by surrounding yourself with the best technicians you can find, you train them in your business prospective, and you cut them loose. You don't micro manage them, you just keep your eye on them, and give them their job objectives on a daily basis. You would be amazed on how well this management style works. Once you a have developed the best maintenance team you can assemble, you take very good care of them . I used to flat rate all of my inspections. When the techs best the flat rate, I kept records for each quarter . If we has no warranty issues, I paid each technican his share . All were happy, customers were satisfied with the work performed on their aircraft. Keep it simple stupid.

Advice to Management

Lack of concern for the employees of the company they purchased. Out front lying to said employees about future employment. A high layer of fat in upper management. You are paying upper management way too much for what they accomplish. If you want to be successful in future buy outs, take more of the experienced employees from said company in to your own. I was not impressed at all with your process or procedures. I had been managing Repair stations for 30 year's, and saw through all of your flaws, and the lies you told our employees in the first 30 days. I saw no concept of loyalty or integrity in your company, and refused to be a part of your sham.

"Project manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees genuinely care about what they do and the salaries are good for the area

Cons

Benefits have reduced too much recently, the health insurance is almost like not having any

Advice to Management

Leaders need to start valuing their employees

"Good people and good work environment"

Current Employee - Flammability Certification Engineer in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Flammability Certification Engineer in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The teams I have dealt with are amazing to work with. There is definitely a common goal. Decent compensation and good benefits.

Cons

Departmental communication is mediocre at best due to differing internal metrics. Lots of cleaning your hands once you've done your part.

Advice to Management

Work towards bringing the vision of the product and company into the everyday lives of the different departments.

"Richardson Texas Facility = Needs Improvement"

Current Employee - Principal Electrical Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Electrical Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people in Texas. Salary is good. 1st line management is very good.

Cons

Richardson Tx facility is treated as the unwanted step-child by home-base in Cedar Rapids. Lack of local control of the procurement process in Texas causes lost time & schedule, drives up cost and hurts morale. Senior Management seems focused on their personal bottom line and NOT the worker: no pay raise in 2017 yet the company buys B/E Aerospace, seriously? Senior Management is disconnected from the working teams; they "go through the motions" to show concern for the employees with lots of happy-talk news/blogs etc, but it is a facade. No $ for annual raises, yet the company continuously spends $ on videos/programs such as "employee engagement" designed to get more from the worker; how do 'Principal Organizational Development Consultants' help get products designed, built, tested and delivered with 1st time quality? (who are these people?). Health Plan Offerings are not on-par with other aerospace companies. They are High Deductible and very costly.

Advice to Management

Engage with the working teams at all levels and at all locations, in person, with meaningful 'family' discussions to establish a dialogue to resolve issues and communicate with each other <−−>.

"Senior Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Annapolis is a great location. Employees are committed to do a good job. We support the airlines which, for me, adds to job satisfaction. I think we are a nice size, big enough to do interesting engineering and not too large to become just a cog is a big machine.

Cons

Lot of "silos/smokestacks". Two groups working side by side not knowing what the other group does. Managers need to keep their employees in contiguous office space - 50 foot office moves not uncommon.

Advice to Management

Give feedback during the year and not just at performance appraisal time.

"Employer Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Opportunity to meet a lot of skilled professionals
    Opportunity to work as an individual and as part of a team
    Opportunity to learn a lot of current technology and apply it to your job

Cons

Like anywhere, your manager makes or breaks your experience -- can be very good or very frustrating.
    HR is really not an advocate for the employee -- they support management in almost every circumstance
    Very large corporation -- close to 20K employees worldwide/7-8000 in Cedar Rapids
    There is a lot to learn when you onboard -- you have to learn the job and learn the corporate culture at the same time -- like drinking from a fire hose. Overwhelming at times.

Showing 1,155 of 1,241 reviews