Rockwell Collins Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 25, 2017
1,153 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,153 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • People are down to earth and know how to have a work/life balance in a sometimes high stress environment (in 128 reviews)

• well known company good benefits (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to be ok living in Cedar Rapids (in 126 reviews)

• I'd rather be an intern than full time as there doesn't seem to be much of a work/life balance once you're hired full time (in 23 reviews)

"Company is a dead end for a career they set up hr to write these reviews"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time

Pros

Low expectation of work you can sleep at work

Cons

Pros – Very conservative financially. The company does not take risks unnecessarily.
    Cons – Management and culture are a mirage. Management is horrible. The answer to every bad plan is to ask people to work overtime. The culture is extermely politically oriented. There are a lot of marketing campaings to make employees believe things are great, but the sad reality is that there is a culture of fear everywhere you look. Many people have just given up. I would not be surprised if this company took a turn for the worse soon because management has surrounded itself with people who say yes wihtout questioning, and engineering has learned to hide the problems until they move on to another position.

Advice to Management

Get a real job

"The bad far exceeds the good."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers and winter shutdown. Probably a good place if you're fresh out of college.

Cons

Too much responsibility given to offshore contract workers (not qualified for majority of the tasks).

Below average pay.

Promotions based on seniority rather than skill/knowledge.

Long hours due to poor analysis/requirements and overly optimistic scheduling.

Some co-workers are unprofessional. They will claim completion on incomplete tasks (to fulfill a goal for their annual review), and end up passing the buck to another employee.

Advice to Management

If you want to use contract workers, hire local US employees. Don't allow unqualified engineers to continually write confusing non extendable software.

Stop believing that any engineer can accomplish any task. Instead, assign engineers to tasks that fit their strengths.

"Bullies in the School yard - Never Grew up"

Former Employee - Senior Electro - Mechanical Design Tech in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Electro - Mechanical Design Tech in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was fooled by the best

Cons

The engineers that are hired at Rockwell Collins realize early that to get more money they must be in management - They never become good engineers - They are taught to be bullies.

Those who can engineer do - those who can't - Manage

I was a fool to have stayed here so long

"Not a good experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I made a couple of good friends and worked with a couple of people I liked and respected.

Cons

Poway management was horrific, didn't listen to employees when they voice issues with management, released employees under less than honest reasoning, upper management is narrow-minded. Started as a small company and maintained the clique mentality of "newcomers not welcome".

Advice to Management

Get rid of most of your managers in Poway and get real ones...people that aren't engineers and have some people skills. Listen to what your staff is saying. Walk the walk and talk the talk. Show your staff you mean what you say and are really working to improve. Don't sit in your office with your door closed and expect things to change.

"Unhealthy place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

they are located in the mid-west. the pay is average as are the benefits. you may find pockets of healthy interaction here and there, but it's been rare. avionics industry is more efficient than the auto industry, but not by much, and that's not saying a lot.

Cons

overly bureaucratic, strong sense of entitlement in this 'good old boys club'. Overall, an unhealthy place to work with the IT department being downright sick.

"Building trust everyday, except those with deadlines"

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- High job security in most area
    - Friendly co-workers
    - Frequently, I am working on cool/fun/challenging engineering, and trying to make a product within the constraints given that I can be proud of.

Cons

- Frequent "highly suggested for a good year end review" overtime. Not mandatory b/c then they would legally have to pay you.
    - Blocking people from transferring to another job within Rockwell fairly often.
    - Management pushing employees to sign off on things they don't agree with.

Advice to Management

- Need to follow standards/process everyday, not try to find ways short-circuit it to meet deadlines. This usually comes back with more work, time, problems, and cost than the time that was supposedly saved.
    - Do not block transfers to other orgs within Rockwell. If someone is told they can't transfer from a job they don't like, their next recourse is to leave, which is happening frequently now.

"Terrible management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time

Pros

Three weeks vacation days ,plus Christmas / New Year Holiday, good company compensation plan.9/80 work day available.

Cons

Management is very arrogant and usually don't welcome new ideas.One of the the engineering manager is the worst I've ever seen.

Advice to Management

"Land of the revolving door. It's great if you're the squeaky wheel, but that's just not for me."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rockwell Collins has some great employees. A lot of people I've met there are good people with a great skillset for a medium-sized engineering company.

Cons

Management blows. Squeaky wheel gets the oil has never been more accurate than at Rockwell Colins. Rockwell Collins has had an issue keeping employees longer than 5 years, so they treat you like you're a temporary employee. I was bullied around and treated like junk by management. I was told promotions are like magic dust; it never happens. I can definitely confirm it. At Rockwell Collins, it's not if you're leaving for somewhere else, it's when you are leaving.

Advice to Management

An engineering VP once said complacency is when you're doing the same thing to expect different results. If you want to close the revolving door, you need to start thinking different to make yourself great. For me, Rockwell Collins didn't build my trust in them.

"More about themselfs"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Use to be a good company to work for

Cons

More worried about themselfs. Management cares more to pad their pockets then care for the workers. Management lies to the staff just to string them along so they can keep the numbers looking good. Management does not and will not stick up for you.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. All your workers have that is why 80% are walking. Your management needs to be replaced because all they care about is themselfs.

"Very unpleasant company environment to work in"

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I honestly cannot find any reason to work for Rockwell Collins.

Cons

Managers were not compassionate, nor were they consistent. Some of the managers are often two-faced and have very little experience or inclination to work with their employees. For months you will be praised, and then for no apparent reason, you are criticized. This often occurs when you have your annual meetings for raises, etc, or when you are being laid off.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to value their employees more. They are the bedrock upon where their own jobs lay.

Showing 1,153 of 1,238 reviews