Rockwell Collins Reviews in Wilsonville, OR | Glassdoor

Wilsonville, OR

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Cedar Rapids isn't the most exciting place in the world to live when you're a college kid (in 131 reviews)

• They help to provide a good work life balance giving a very "Midwestern" atmosphere (in 25 reviews)

1. "Sr Electronics Technician Lead"

Former Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Wilsonville, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

There is no negative thoughts about the company

Advice to Management

Be Unbiased

"Decent company - Engr Mgmt flawed"

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting technology, you won't be bored. Talented colleagues.

Cons

Engineering management dysfunctional. Management through intimidation.

Advice to Management

Listen to manager's reports, not just managers. If multiple talented and capable engineers leave or are forced out over a period of years, maybe it says more about the manager than the exitees.

"Electrical Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The products are cool, the technical work is fun and challenging. There is a lot of technical talent and it's a good place to learn. For the most part projects are scheduled to take 2-3 years so there shouldn't be a lot of overtime required. The site leadership is good and they have a very good handle on their business and market. Since it's a smaller site it doesn't feel like a big company all the time, just when you run into the bureaucracy. I think to the big company you're a number, and they definitely push process over people, but the local leadership does not- they value good people. I think if you want a long term place to work this could be a good fit. Or if you're younger in your career, get a few years in here - it's a good place to hone your engineering chops.

Cons

Well, it's a big company. So with that come the big company problems. There are a series of little fiefdoms set up where the heads of departments demand you bow and show respect before they'll do their job for you, even if their job is to help you do yours. The shared services model is completely broken and is frustrating to work with. While site leadership is quite good, project managers generally lack technical skill and knowledge. Most I would say aren't qualified to manage any sort of project whatsoever. But it's hard to blame them, since there isn't any technical advancement path. As an engineer you will progress only so far, and it will take an act of congress to progress further. The only option is to go into project management, which for most good engineers is career suicide. The few good project managers there only took the position out of sheer frustration with how poorly most projects are managed.

Advice to Management

I think you'll attract and retain good engineers if you do two things. 1 - get better project management. 2 - provide a clear and attainable technical path for engineers

4. "Rockwell Collilns"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Rockwell Collins (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

none that I can think of

"Good people, terrible processes"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are really good so the work environment is great.
    Cool products.
    9/80 schedule.

Cons

Innovation is not a focus.
    Strange processes hinder everything since company is sure no one does engineering like them and refuses outside advice on processes and software tools.

6. "Senior Mechanical Engineer at Rockwell Collins, Wilsonville"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Medium size organization, which means more exposure to other functions, more diverse jobs, wearing multiple hats

Cons

Not much room for promotions, salary is below state average

Advice to Management

Eliminate obsolete and redundant processes and tools, otherwise Good Job!

"A whole lot of back stabbing!"

Former Employee - Conformal Coater, Was Hired to BE An Electral-mechanical Technician in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a cafeteria!

Cons

The lead person has been making a serious mistake for over 15 years. She got pissed when i went over her head and had an engineer look at the problem. They immediately farmed out that circuit board to be worked on outside if this company. They also pulled 98 airplanes out of the air to fix the problem. I was wrongfully discharged when I got sick from working with and breathing toxic chemicals. I will deal with breathing issues the rest of my life because of it. But she still has a job.

Advice to Management

Don’t put your employees at risk with bad ventilation with toxic chemicals. Amazing how you moved the chemical station and bought new ventilation when I had to go to the Emergency room. If someone is coughing and coughing give them something else to do so they can breathe clearly again. When there is a question on conformal coating that doesn't match the drawing. Listen to the employee. Stop trying to cover up mistakes that she excused as tribal knowledge.

8. "Great vision!"

Current Employee - Customer Account Specialist in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Account Specialist in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great executive management with where the company is headed. I like the weekly communication that is sent to us from the new CEO.

Cons

Not a lot of growth potential in my current location.

Advice to Management

They could really look into smaller areas of the business for ethical, or unethical, decisions being made by certain management. There should be a better life/work balance.

"Labview software position"

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Rockwell Collins as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very little overtime (they hire for 40 hours per week), friendly people. Very distinct roles in a project (if you like that). Generally Low stress. Very Good peer review tool. The cafeteria makes a nice breakfast sandwich. They make interesting products at this location (HUDS).

Cons

The custom labview executives, and the programing environment/needs are/produce low quality executives and code. There is very little reuse of code, some test executives should receive an F on maintainability. None have abstraction layer between test equipment and the test executive, or between the test instructions/commands/criteria etc and the test executive.

Advice to Management

All code and supporting data should be verified every time a test is run.

"Aviation Geeks' Dream Engineering Job"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full of talented, passionate people. Lots of people have been there 10, 20+ years. I think everyone is there because they love what they do. A culture of excellence and improvement. Generous pay and benefits.

Cons

As with any company in the aviation industry there is a lot of process. This is as it should be for the safety required. I'm rather type-A myself and don't mind it, but the amount of process is not for everyone.

Showing 11 of 1,409 reviews