KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Rockwell Group Reviews

Updated Oct 13, 2021

Found 64 of over 72 reviews

Rockwell Group Founder ad President DAVID ROCKWELL (no image)
DAVID ROCKWELL
Pros
  • "really interesting projects(in 4 reviews)

• "High profile clients and recognition by design websites, magazines, etc(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Rockwell Group's leadership firmly believes that you must work long hours to "earn your stripes(in 11 reviews)

• "I have never worked somewhere with such a high turnover rate(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

First Job

Oct 13, 2021 - Interior Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Creative, talented people and fun projects. A great way to kick off your career and get connections in the industry.

Cons

Long hours with intense work flow.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Unique Projects

Sep 29, 2021 - Architectural Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of amazing one of a kind projects and great co-workers. A great place for people who love ideas. Some long nights, but that's the nature of ambitious design

Cons

Utilization of AEC software/ technology is a bit behind the top of the industry.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great experience at RG

Aug 16, 2021 - Project Accountant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great mentorship in finance/accounting department. Good training and they are willing to teach you extra things over time. They allow you to ask many questions when you are training. Empathy. The finance team has genuine care for others. It was a fun environment too. Annual holiday competitions were so fun and wonderful! I always looked forward to them. Many of the project managers and admin staff were a pleasure to work with. Dog friendly office!

Cons

I loved my experience here and couldn't have had a better team and better mentors. I wish RG was able to pay more. That's my only "con." But I understand there's a budget. Personally, one of my most cherished former jobs. I miss this company very much.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great job but they need to address burnout

Jul 11, 2020 - Architectural Designer/Project Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are many bright minds and talented people. Hiring in my studio was taken very seriously. If you have a good attitude, like working hard, have an opinion and are willing to share it then you will do very well at Rockwell. There is a lot of room for growth if you are a talented green designer - you will be dropped in the deep end and learn to swim. I respected my studio leader as he trusted his staff and would encourage PM's to make executive decisions where appropriate. He was big picture, generally he trusted his staff to execute the vision. Not last of all, really great projects and a genuine attempt to question the status quo at all steps in the design process.

Cons

Burnout. No (or hardly any) time in lieu for overtime worked, even when working 50-60hr weeks for months on end. It's only a good job for a few years, until you have extracted as much as you can from the job before it becomes unbearable. There is an imbalance between experienced and green staff, leading to lots of mistakes as a result of poor drawing sets. Good drawings and technical knowledge was simply not valued (yet still expected from the higher ups).

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good place to work

Feb 8, 2021 - Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Studio Leader and Creative Director, as well as colleagues, are genuinely caring about studio culture and group morale. Staff is diverse, in terms of background education/experience and skills. Design is not a top-down exercise.

Cons

Can be long hours leading up to deadlines; not necessarily the most structured environment, or a place where roles are always prescribed, for those looking for that. Studios are generally siloed from one another.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great first job & resume builder

Feb 9, 2021 - Interior Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing talent & mentors, great projects, well-oiled machine, learn a tried & true interior design process & how to put design packages & presentations together

Cons

Very long hours & working weekends, takes a long time to move up, not a lot of recognition for junior designers, unlivable pay for NYC, the HR side of things is a nightmare like most design firms

7. 3.0

Great People, tough on salaries

Apr 15, 2021 - 3D Designer, 3D Render Artist, 3D Visualiser in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with

Cons

Budgets were tight, and restrictions were set from the top

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great people

Apr 10, 2021 - Architectural Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very nice people and culture.

Cons

Quite hierarchical, so it is hard to advance through the ladder.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Former Employee

Cool Projects

Feb 21, 2021 - Interior Design Intern in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

interesting projects, friendly co-workers, fun atmosphere

Cons

was not able to use work in portfolio (could be because of client confidentiality though)

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

I wish the cons were only about the restrooms...

Jun 11, 2020 - Interior Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are incredibly brilliant, even if they come and go. You will cross paths with intelligent minds and form friendships that are more than just networks. Rockwell group has a strong root in a meritocrat system, which is very attractive to designers wanting to turn into leaders. High profile clients, dogs in the office, a resourceful materials library, and summer Fridays, are all perks one shouldn't take for granted.

Cons

I echo the reviews earlier. The firm does not seem to show any value towards employees which can be noticed in small gestures such as not providing a warm welcome to new starters (which due to large turnover rates are many, and often filter in unnoticed), to how layoffs were handled in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic. Additionally, I can only speak for Studio G regarding the level of politics that served as the undercurrent for staffing. There is a repulsive amount of favoritism amongst senior staff that was pervasive enough for other designers to feel discriminated against, and for leadership to be aware of, yet not address.

3 people found this review helpful