Rockwood Clinic Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rockwood Clinic Chief Executive Officer Michael A. Patmas
Michael A. Patmas

Pros
  • Great co-workers who work well together as a team (in 3 reviews)

• There are some very good people and providers at Rockwood (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is completely out of touch (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay compared to local median (in 7 reviews)

"Finding Its Way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Rockwood Clinic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The new management team, led by Tom Moser, the COO who has been here for a year, is doing things right. They are focused on improving systems and quality and getting Rockwood to the place they need to be. New hires have generally been a significant upgrade from departing staff, and improved systems and communications are everywhere.

Cons

Turnover at every level has left the company in search of a new identity. In the 6 years since CHS took over the company, the key management positions (CEO, COO, CFO, and HR Director) have been held by a total of about 20 different people. As of right now, two of those positions are interim, and the other 2 have total Rockwood experience of 13 months. Community Health Systems (CHS) brings financial backing, but considerable bureaucracy that is generally not beneficial. Note that Michael Patmas is listed as the CEO. He resigned in early 2016 and we currently have an interim CEO.

Advice to Management

Continue to build infrastructure. Work feverishly to reduce turnover and promote solid internal systems.

2. "CHS destroyed Rockwood"

Former Employee - Physician in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Physician in Spokane, WA

I worked at Rockwood Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great doctors and staff st Rockwood. They had a great CEO but CHS drive him out. The place has languished since unable to effectively grow

Cons

CHS ownership has been a disaster. Turnover at all levels ridiculous. Hsd a great CEO and lost him.

Advice to Management

Bring Patmas back

3. "Surgical Group Sucks"

Former Employee - Scheduler in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Scheduler in Spokane, WA

I worked at Rockwood Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reasons to work at Rockwood? If you get into a position with a specialty practice, you get higher pay than you would at, say, family practice. The patients, for the most part, were pretty great. I think that's about it.

Cons

Poor communication and management by fear are the bread and butter there. My experience at the surgical group was probably the worst working experience I have ever had in my professional career. I was there for four months and all of the surgeons were pretty curt, concerned only with their patients, paychecks and schedules. During that four months I was given one week of training. Training consisted of me sitting next to my co-worker (whom constantly left due to chronic migraines) and watching her do things without explaining anything. She eventually gave up and told me that I "just had to do it." Oh, we also had NO manager, so my supervisor (if you could call her that) was the only person I had to help me out. Instead of helping with training, she would just get frustrated, throw up her hands, yell and tell me that I couldn't do anything right. She also decided that instead of just keeping her yelling about my "incompetence" at me, she would yell it at other various employees in the office. We eventually got a manager only to have her tell me that the surgeons did not have any confidence in my abilities and that she would either have to let me go or improve significantly. By that time, I was suffering from so much stress I was constantly going to the bathroom to puke or have violent diarrhea. I almost took FMLA, which I should have done, but they convinced me to cash out my vacation by giving my two week's notice.

Advice to Management

If you don't know how to train somebody, find somebody that does. Raise people's wages so they can actually afford to live and support themselves.

5. "Underwhelming"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Rockwood Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So many very nice, supportive staff members. Very kind people at all levels. Many were so welcoming and helpful to new employees.

Cons

Political atmosphere that creates a lot tension between administrative staff and providers. Not a very team oriented apprach although they present themselves as such. Poor, poor leadership and uneducated, manipulative managers. Pressure to run patients through for profit not health concerns.

Advice to Management

Inspire... dont control and deceive. Open honesty would go a long way. Withholding information "to protect us" is rather insulting.

"One of the worst companies in Spokane"

Current Employee - Patmas IS No Longer Chief Executive Officer Glassdoor Needs to Update in Spokane, WA

Pros

There are some very good people and providers at Rockwood.

Cons

Patient care or concern for staff is always secondary to financial concerns. Very high turn-over. No leadership to speak of. Executive team is all but gone.

Advice to Management

The CHS partnership was not the fabulous match they envisioned. CHS needs to go.

""Great For A First Job, Not For A Career Location""

Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Spokane, WA

I worked at Rockwood Clinic full-time

Pros

Co-workers are amazing, so are most of the providers there.

Cons

Upper management sucks. They don't try very hard to fill open positions and rather continue to pay current employees the same and over work them instead of hiring help. Trying to get any issues fixed is a joke. When someone had to take 2 weeks off for emergency surgery they did not even both trying to get coverage causing one person to take on all of the work load. When you turn in your notice to leave they don't take it into account and turn in false statements to the state that you left " to continue schooling".

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees better. Take things seriously. You wonder why you lost three great employees from one department in less then a month.

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Spokane, WA

I worked at Rockwood Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people who work at Rockwood work there because they love what they do. They are not in it for the money.

Cons

Heavily under-compensated...people who worked there for over 20 years were still being under paid, which is a poor reflection on the company.

Advice to Management

Fight harder for your employees to be paid what they are worth, the place will have less of a revolving door if people are paid fairly.

"not fair to employees who have given their life to RW"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Rockwood Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the people are phenomenal! insurance pretty decent

Cons

corporate unappreciative of the work being done and instead of hiring more people to cover shortages, just keep putting more workload on existing employees.

Advice to Management

Get a float pool, reception and scheduling shortages are a reflection of Rockwood in general and when people can't be helped right away they are stuck in a hold pattern for long periods of time. Also when you hire new people it seems unfair that people who have been working here for 4 years should not be making less than the new hires. This is insulting

"CEO of the month club"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I worked at Rockwood Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is not much positive to say. The place is a wreck from the top down. Management has no authority.

Cons

Rockwood goes through CEOs like crazy. They can't keep one more than a year or two. Staff are miserable, the pay is low and there is nothing management can do about it because the place is run by corporate bean counters back east.

Advice to Management

Rockwood made a huge mistake selling out to CHS. Get out of that arrangement. Who is the CEO this week?

"Horrible place to work and SO Corporate"

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Rockwood Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice providers, nice front and back office staff. Flexibility with time off.

Cons

Rockwood has SO many, many problems, that I could go on "forever". Chronically under staffed. Yet get told to take on more tasks and to work overtime. Management, both clinical and upper management, are absolutely unsupportive and unapologetic for how staff gets treated. Benefits are expensive. The management that gets hired is not qualified to be in management. It's as if an employee volunteers for a position, and RWC puts them there, regardless of that employees experience and/or qualifications to take on the job. Unbelievable. Disgusted with this company. They only care about their numbers and bottom line. That is IT.

Advice to Management

Stop the power trips and pretending you know more than we do, when you clearly do not. Your lack of respect for RWC employees is unforgiveable. Shame on you RWC and CHS.