Rocky Mountain Chocolate Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 24, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Franklin E. Crail

Pros
  • The pay, great people to work with, flexible hours (in 5 reviews)

• Fun environment, good samples, high energy (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • soft of low pay, minimum benefits (in 6 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate/Chocolatier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA

I worked at Rocky Mountain Chocolate part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun making different kinds of candy apple and other sweets such as barks, dipped licorice, choco covered strawberries, bananas etc. I enjoyed it cause mostly everything was based on how it is decorated/presented and If you're a crafty person, it is fun at times.

Cons

10% off = takes off tax. Strict management, high demands but the pay was not worth how hard you're working, manager's watching your every move and constantly calling if they think you've done smething wrong. They suggest to come 15 mins earlier before you're clocked in to fill out a paper (more like a to do list) to check the freshness of for ex. fudge, check for mold, etc but I believe it is unfair b/c we're basically working 15 mins for free.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and treat them like human being, just like everyone else.

2. "The ownership makes the difference"

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

You get to eat all the chocolate you want! As a franchise I had a great amount of influence on all aspects of our store.

Cons

Most locations are franchises, and therfore you are at the beck and call of your owner. I have worked for two RMCF stores and the ownership made the difference. At my last position in Denver I was overworked, underpaid and underappreciated!

Advice to Management

As a Company RMCF has little intervention at the store level, I would advise them to have a training seminar for their owners in order to provide them a brief glimpse as to what their responsibilities will entail.

"Owners were terrible"

I worked at Rocky Mountain Chocolate part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the coworkers were friendly and so was the supervisor; it was a chill environment. We were allowed to eat anything that they were selling and free drinks, breaks as often as we like since there weren't that many customers.

Cons

The owners were always there monitoring you and had high expectations on how much we should sell every day. The owners were bought very cheap equipment and they kept breaking, they never replaced anything. Also, the chocolates were way past due yet they were still selling them. Also, they kept raising the prices for the apples while expecting to have more customers. Up-sell was s the worst cuz we needed to make a certain amount of up-sell otherwise the owner would call us out and ask us why. Didn't even give me 2 wk's notice when they were going to let me go.

Advice to Management

Be reasonable for your expectations on how much you make every day since not a lot of people will pay $7-$9 for apples.

4. "Stepping Stone job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Good place to learn retail, standards

Cons

privately owned, and management doesn't listen to franchisees. Lots of waste from head office, poor decisions that are costly and make no sense.

Advice to Management

Listen to franchisees, they know their business and customers.

"RMCF"

Pros

- Strong procedural policies
    - surprisingly creative environment
    - team oriented
    - can be a fun and rigorous place to work
    - potential for upward mobility
    - chocolate

Cons

- Management can be poor and inconsistent
    - Don't always get paid the overtime hours you worked because they don't like you working over time even when they are severely short staffed
    - can get catty and dramatic
    - management turnovers disrupt the flow of the store

Advice to Management

Need to hire more organized and competent people or offer upward mobility more readily to existing staff. Pay your production staff overtime if it means you get to make an extra couple hundred dollars for it.