Rocky Mountain Chocolate Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Franklin E. Crail

Pros
  • The pay, great people to work with, flexible hours (in 5 reviews)

• Fun environment, good samples, high energy (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • soft of low pay, minimum benefits (in 6 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Concord, NC

Pros

Working with Chocolate YUM!! And getting to taste some of it as well.

Cons

Owner is always watching you on camera and calls if you do something wrong.

Advice to Management

Don't be so paranoid.

"Best for easy Job for a college/high school students"

I worked at Rocky Mountain Chocolate full-time

Pros

Easy work.. Unless you're a key holder

Cons

Low pay. Shadiness with owner & managers

Advice to Management

None

3. "Not So Sweet"

Former Employee - Chocolatier in Brentwood, CA
    Former Employee - Chocolatier in Brentwood, CA

I worked at Rocky Mountain Chocolate part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free samples… I seriously can't think of anything else. Every single person I have ever met who worked here had nothing good to say about this place.

Cons

Unprofessional owners (Owner Craig dresses and acts like he's in a gang), high expectations, terrible communication, exploitation of naive teenagers

Advice to Management

Take a business class. Learn how to treat people. Take the hint that you've had 200+ employees in 5 years… it's not us, it's you.

"terrible"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

you get to smell chocolate all day

Cons

upper management is terrible
    and you get to smell chocolate all day

Advice to Management

stop being terrible

"Managing a sea of incompetance"

Former Employee - Retail Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Retail Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Rocky Mountain Chocolate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chocolate galore in a great location in Downtown Vancouver Cananda. A busy location with lots to see and do especially in tourist season.

Cons

Poor upper management, whiney staff, unethical business practices, retail managers are given unreasonable demands with unreasonable time frames. No over time is paid but you are expected to work over time. The entire Canadian version of this company is a disorganized mess. When emailing 1 simple question you'd have to "cc" literally 7 other people then anticipate 7 different opinions and replies. Recipes are never documented so good luck trying to recreate what an upper manager made. I was told "good luck" when I asked for the recipe to recreate an item in the store I worked in. Zero support and ridiculous expectations. There is no staff room! No place to keep food cold. The washroom is where staff have to keep their belongings. Many staff get sick from working there because it's so dirty.

Advice to Management

Start realizing the potential of your managers and staff. Treat them as people, since that's why you can afford the Porsche you drive. You won't stop losing money unless you do. Maybe re evaluate you DM.

"sales associate"

Pros

If you are a lover of chocolates, I would suggest that you work in this kind of business. You will learn the difference between white, dark, regular chocolates and will know the different kind of chocolates and how one chocolate taste differ from one another.

Cons

If you want to maintain a good body weight, then its not a good idea to work in chocolate store because its so tempting to see chocolates every time you are surrounded with chocolates.

Advice to Management

The management should also think the welfare of their staff with regards to benefits. During my tenure, I came to know that those whose status are permanent doesn't received any kind of benefit.

"manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros

Customers and staff were the only rewarding aspect of working for this company and I am typing just to fill uo the 20 word minimum for this review.

Cons

everything about the Canadian arm of this company (the reviews mix up the Candian and US and that makes the Canadian company seem better then it is. The Canadian company has a horrible corporate culture of aggression, lies, gross practices (I would like to know that a product is a year old wouldnt you when you are paying full price) and fear. The money is bad and there is no real training aside from their SALES concpet of the month. I hated the job.

Advice to Management

Sell the company so that people who invested in franchises have a fighting chance to get their money back.

"Very unpleasant"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Rocky Mountain Chocolate part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot about the history of the company, and its manufacturing processes for different types of confectionery.

It always smells nice when you walk in!

Plenty of interesting product knowledge to learn.

Cons

Unhygienic practices on the sales floor
        Poor management which resulted in a high stress environment.
        Questionable behaviour regarding the treatment of competitors.
        Must follow a script.
        Based on my experience, the amount of work you put in is not worth minimum wage

When I had a sudden medical issue that resulted in not being able to complete my shift, I was "warned" that I would be let go if it happened again

Advice to Management

Please take the time to properly train managers, and ensure quality control

9. "The ownership makes the difference"

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

You get to eat all the chocolate you want! As a franchise I had a great amount of influence on all aspects of our store.

Cons

Most locations are franchises, and therfore you are at the beck and call of your owner. I have worked for two RMCF stores and the ownership made the difference. At my last position in Denver I was overworked, underpaid and underappreciated!

Advice to Management

As a Company RMCF has little intervention at the store level, I would advise them to have a training seminar for their owners in order to provide them a brief glimpse as to what their responsibilities will entail.

10. "Sales Associate/Chocolatier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA

I worked at Rocky Mountain Chocolate part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun making different kinds of candy apple and other sweets such as barks, dipped licorice, choco covered strawberries, bananas etc. I enjoyed it cause mostly everything was based on how it is decorated/presented and If you're a crafty person, it is fun at times.

Cons

10% off = takes off tax. Strict management, high demands but the pay was not worth how hard you're working, manager's watching your every move and constantly calling if they think you've done smething wrong. They suggest to come 15 mins earlier before you're clocked in to fill out a paper (more like a to do list) to check the freshness of for ex. fudge, check for mold, etc but I believe it is unfair b/c we're basically working 15 mins for free.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and treat them like human being, just like everyone else.