Rocky Mountaineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Steve Sammut

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Rocky Mountaineer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome product makes me proud to work here. Great team members and management.

Cons

It can be very busy, as the company is growing (not really a con).

2. "Vacation Consultant"

I have been working at Rocky Mountaineer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, dedicated to providing Life Changing Experiences for their Guests & also emphasis on it's team's success. Amazing product & team! What amazed me when I started was how friendly all the team members were & how everyone would tell you they love to work for Rocky Mountaineer, which was very encouraging & something you don't hear in a lot of workplaces!

Cons

Hiring process took 5 weeks from initial contact, but very thorough in their hiring criteria.

3. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Destination Host in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Destination Host in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

An amazing company to work for! They take care of their employees very well

Cons

Some early starts to the morning

4. "Incredible company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Rocky Mountaineer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Corporate Culture, very employee centric, great product, competitive salary and bonus, rapidly growing and creating career growth opportunities, great management, new office being built

Cons

After being employed here for a couple years there is not s glaring con. The fast paced environment of the business due to its rapid growth could be seen as a negative by some but I like it.

5. "Wonderful Top Down Corporate Culture & Career Progression"

I have been working at Rocky Mountaineer full-time

Pros

I have worked for the Rocky Mountaineer for the past 3 years. In that time I have been consistently inspired by the incredible culture that surrounds this wonderful organization. There is a commitment to excellence in everything that we do here and we hold ourselves, our colleagues and our partners to this standard in an inclusive and engaging way. As a company we try to 'create life changing experiences' for everyone who comes into contact with us, from our guests, to the teams we work with and all others. I have witnessed people being moved to tears by the overwhelmingly positive emotional response that they have while riding the Rocky Mountaineer train. There is something very special to go to work each day and see that you have that type of life changing impact on the lives of people. The culture of excellence and relationship focused engagement really does stem from the top down. I personally have met the founder of the organization and he lives and breaths to lift up others. I have such a sense of pride when I tell people that I work for this organization for these and many other reasons. I have worked for many other companies in the past and none have even come close to this type of inclusive, collaborative environment where everyone is trying to create memorable life changing experiences daily (from the front lines of Guest Experience and Sales to behind the scenes in Finance and HR.)

Another thing that I really respect in this organization is the focus on equal opportunity and career progression. I personally started out in a front line role, working onboard the train. After a few years I made it known to management that I aspired to move to a role at the head office in Vancouver. They encouraged this move and within 6 months they had found a great role for me to step into. I am loving what I am currently doing in the organization and I respect their commitment to allow for career progression and growth.

When I moved into my new role I underwent an interview process which involved the recruitment team from HR. Throughout the process they were really great. The first step involved me making known to the head of the department that I hoped to transition into that I was interested in joining their team. I also told my current management that I wanted to make a change and asked for their support. From there, I applied online to the posting listed on the careers page. The recruitment team was great and promptly scheduled me for a 1hr telephone interview with a recruiter. During this interview I felt at ease with the interviewer who was incredibly personable. The next step was a 1 hr in person interview with the direct managers of the role that I was interested in. After this, I was kept in the loop by the recruiter who would call and give me updates about the selection progression. I did not end up getting the first job that I applied to, but the recruiter kept me in mind and contacted me when my current role came up. For this role I was able to come in for a 1 hr meet and greet with the direct manager and get an idea of the role. Once I completed this I met with the VP of the department that I was applying for and within a few weeks I was offered the position.

I recently began in my new role and have been loving it. The environment here is very inclusive and my team is wonderful. I am so excited to begin this new chapter of my life, working for an organization that I respect and admire. If you are considering applying for a position at Rocky Mountaineer I highly recommend doing so!

Cons

There are not really many cons to working here in my opinion. The only thing that I found hard was when I was working onboard the train I struggled with being constantly away from home. I am usually such a homebody so this was hard for me. Many of my colleagues love to travel and found this to be a great bonus of the role.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to really look at what your onboard hosts are doing and give recognition more often for work well done. We work tirelessly in order to provide life changing experiences to our guests and it is very motivating to have that noticed by management.

6. "Challenging work-but rewarding"

Former Employee - Onboard Host
    Former Employee - Onboard Host

I worked at Rocky Mountaineer (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to travel to the Rocky Mountains weekly
    Great gratuities
    Lots of fun people working for the company

Cons

long hours
    low wage
    Lots of annoying people working for the company

"Awesome Company"

Former Employee - Corporate Development Intern in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Corporate Development Intern in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Rocky Mountaineer (Less than a year)

Pros

Rocky Mountaineer has it all: culture, benefits, global opportunities, you name it. Fantastic place to start a career.

Cons

RM is a smaller company, so upward mobility for Corporate jobs is limited.

Advice to Management

Keep being amazing! From President to Manager everybody here is willing to stop and chat. 0 hierarchical feel here.

8. "So much progress!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Rocky Mountaineer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New President is very attentive and is making positive changes, HR has been through a lot of change but seems to have a solid, well-informed, engaged team now. Recent changes to vacation policy and a new bonus program for all f/t employees have made a lot or people very happy. We are moving to a brand new building downtown next year and they have been very good at obtaining feedback from employees about the design, etc.

Cons

Flexible working options would be really nice, Executive needs to engage staff a little more and listen to what we want in terms of work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Overall a great place with amazing, passionate people. Keep up the positive change.

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Rocky Mountaineer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the staff are pleasant to work with.

Cons

Management is isolated from other staff.

Advice to Management

Give your staff more room to work. Too cramped to work effectively.

10. "Lots of positive things happening in this company"

I have been working at Rocky Mountaineer full-time

Pros

This companies purpose is to be Creators of Life Changing Experiences and the people in this company all contribute to the purpose. everybody is passionate about what they do.

The people are awesome!

Lots of positive changes seem to be happening to making the company grow even further.

Lots of chance to be a part of building new processes and working on projects as the company grows.

Cons

Due to huge growth at fast rate, not all processes are in place, but exciting to be able to be a part of creating new processes and brainstorming new ideas.

Advice to Management

Engage employees even more by giving them more incentives