Rodale Reviews | Glassdoor

Rodale Reviews

Updated July 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, mostly nice people to work with (in 20 reviews)

• Company seems to offer good benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Change in upper management constant (in 14 reviews)

• I feel like the work load is quite heavy and it's becoming hard to maintain the work/life balance that existed in the past (in 6 reviews)

"Art Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emmaus, PA

I worked at Rodale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comfortable working environment with plenty of perks: organic meals, kitchen, gym, yoga...you name it. Nice folks.

Cons

Certain people in management positions are horrible to work with and quite frankly, don't deserve to be in the positions they're in, yet execs still them around and sacrifice losing the best of the bunch.

Advice to Management

Stop putting bad people in management positions.

2. "Server"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rodale (More than a year)

Pros

Great boss, great place to work

Cons

None that I could think of.

Advice to Management

Again, no advice that I could think of

"Photo Editor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Rodale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned company that believes very strongly in leading a healthy lifestyle--eating organic food and exercising--and provides the resources for doing so. In addition, good benefits.

Cons

Management, starting from the top, doesn't seem to be clear about which employees it wants working for its company. Upper management, and those below them, are frequently laid off. Moreover, those working at the entry level often leave the company, because their contributions are not recognized in the way of advancement or salary increases.

Advice to Management

Do more to create loyalty to the company. Give employees incentives to want to stay working at Rodale.

4. "Paralegal/Rights Analyst"

Current Employee - Paralegal/Rights Analyst in Emmaus, PA
    Current Employee - Paralegal/Rights Analyst in Emmaus, PA

I have been working at Rodale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, provide an exercise center on-site for employee use, friendly staff.

Cons

Very little room for advancement in my current department.

"Good place to work -- used to be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emmaus, PA

I have been working at Rodale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rodale gives people who don't want to live in a big city an opportunity to work in publishing. It's a very flexible, friendly, and family-friendly work environment. That's the best perk of working there. The staffs are generally small, and while that does lead to some heavy workloads, it does give you a lot of experience and opportunities to do a lot and broaden your skill set.

Cons

I have been at Rodale for a long time, and it's really sad to see how the changes in the publishing industry as a whole have impacted this company. Magazines just aren't selling like they once did. People are leaving (either b/c they were laid off or b/c they are deciding to find work in a more stable industry) and the people who are left are constantly scrambling to fill the holes and keep up the pace. I feel like the work load is quite heavy and it's becoming hard to maintain the work/life balance that existed in the past. I'm often working on weekends and bringing home work at nights in order to keep up. Everyone in my department is talented and professional and willing to do what it takes... however, morale is low and people are getting burned out.

Advice to Management

The CEO commented in the local paper how it's hard to attract talent to the Lehigh Valley. I think that Rodale should also be concerned about retaining their talent. I don't think you can work people as hard as you are working them with little reward or promise of things improving. Morale is very low. People are concerned about more layoffs. I think more people would be leaving but it's hard if your career has been built in publishing and you are Emmaus-based -- it's the only game in town.

6. "Editorial Assistant Intern"

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant Intern in Emmaus, PA
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant Intern in Emmaus, PA

I have been working at Rodale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to learn how a magazine runs, this is the place to do it. The staff is smart, encouraging, and compassionate. They care about the work they do, which creates a place of respect and fun. During my 9 month internship with Rodale's Organic Life magazine, I learned how to vet products, communicate with PR and media reps, pitch ideas, write articles for both print and web, write side bar copy, research extensively, put a FOB and feature well together, collaborate on design, and much more. Rodale as a company offers daily organic food, a garden club, gym access with classes, and a walking trail. Their library is huge, and has everything a natural nut could want to read (herbs, exercise, gardening).

Cons

Interns are hired through a third party agency, which severely cuts down on the wage the employee makes. Also, it's a tough place for an entry level employee to get a full time job.

Advice to Management

None to speak of at this time.

"Editor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emmaus, PA

I worked at Rodale (More than 8 years)

Pros

Was able to work with some very talented people

Cons

Company is slow to change. There are few opportunities for upward mobility.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emmaus, PA

I have been working at Rodale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Organic café, friendly coworkers, and healthy vibe as well as other perks such as gym, walking trail and massage benefits. One of the best places to work? Possibly, if you are retiring soon or aren't in need of a future there.

Cons

Yearly layoffs at Christmas with all staff concerned for their jobs, strategy based on Maria Rodale's current mood/feelings, and a highly invested in but failing online business breeding contempt among other teams all contribute to the perfect storm of negativity and hopelessness there.

Advice to Management

The Board needs to elect a CEO with the proper knowledge and experience to run a company, and give Maria a fluffy title where she can be creative and have 'visions.' She is ruining your family legacy and a company hundreds of people depend on.

"Editor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southport, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southport, CT

I worked at Rodale (More than a year)

Pros

Good resume builder with great titles.

Cons

Horrible work environment for working moms.

"Constant Upheaval"

Former Employee - Editor in Emmaus, PA
    Former Employee - Editor in Emmaus, PA

I worked at Rodale (More than a year)

Pros

A mission-based publisher with an ostensibly friendly and positive world view. Great benefits.

Cons

Constant managerial upheaval and strategy shifts. Job performance does not seem to determine whether you'll be promoted or fired. So many vice presidents they need to hire a Vice President of Vice Presidents.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and actually give it five years, not five months. Trust the people who work there and get over your fear of missing out.