Rodda Paint Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Al Mordy

"Good Company, short staffed."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Rodda Paint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is good, including upper management. Decent communication between employees and management for the most part.

Management oppurtunities come up a few times a year for those that want to move up in the company.

Set schedules, usually made a month out, which makes for scheduling around work a lot easier.
    Most stores are open 7am-6pm with shifts for either 7-4, 8-5 or 9-6. Closed every Sunday.

Cons

Work loads can be very heavy during the summer months (to be expected in this industry), but a lot of stores are short staffed, making the workload that much harder to handle.

2. "I wish it was different"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Rodda Paint full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Color matching is fun
    You get to love the personality of some customers
    During the winter months you can literally do nothing
    The benefits are practically the only thing that they DO have
    Upper management jobs!

Cons

Most of the computers are DECADES old. The systems themselves have been around since the early 80's.
    Employee appreciation has gone down the TOILET. If you expect a raise, you should start looking for a different job. They generally appoint .10 cents a year, maybe .25 if you've been good.
    They boast about profit sharing and quarterly bonuses. In the years that I've worked here, we've only had 1 bonus check. 2 quarterlies. I guess they are losing money??
    Trying to communicate color is one of the hardest things you will ever do.
    You almost feel like you have 5 different bosses.
    Finding your place in the company just happens, you start by mopping the bathrooms and taking out the trash.
    Most sales jobs are under more pressure to sell, putting an unfair amount of work on the short staffed stores.
    Employees are a handful of pirates. They fish, swear, and drink.

Advice to Management

give your employees a raise!

Rodda Paint Response

Mar 8, 2017 – President

I would like express my appreciation for your feedback. I am glad to know that you are enjoying color matching, our customers and the winter months. I am very sorry to hear about your various ... More

3. "It's okay and it pays the bills."

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Delivery Driver in Nampa, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Delivery Driver in Nampa, ID

I have been working at Rodda Paint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mixing paint and great people to work for on a manager level.excellent products that they can sell if they get the word out.

Cons

Out dated. A lot of push back from upper management to streamline operations. Going from Amy large company to this one is like stepping back 30 years.

Advice to Management

Upgrade facilities. Increase pay.

Rodda Paint Response

Mar 8, 2017 – President

Thanks for the feedback. And I agree that we have a lot of growth opportunity with our expanded product offering! I also agree that we have a lot of prime areas to up-date & upgrade. I am ... More

4. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Rodda Paint full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned business that cares for their employees

Cons

Need more employees in our stores

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

5. "Decent pay (at best), customers are generally great, staffing stores is a major issue, and sine people feel entitled."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Rodda Paint full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Profit sharing bonuses yearly. Benefits aren't too bad. Match certain percent of 401k contribution. VP of company is (or seems to be) a really nice guy. Outside salesmen and saleswomen are usually (USUALLY) nice. Decent amount of PTO given yearly. Mostly a fun work environment, just depends on who you're working for in the store.

Cons

Upper management is riddled with nepotism. They (upper management) also don't listen to what store managers and employees say very often, especially if it's controversial or they are defending themselves. There is definitely a feeling of intimidation when upper management comes around, instead of a feeling of being a team member with coworkers and upper management alike. Pay rate should be more, for certain.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and cut the nepotism completely out of the company. YOU MUST NOT BEND RULES AND MAKE SPECIAL EXCEPTIONS FOR FAMILY OR FRIENDS OF UPPER MANAGEMENT. No one should be intimidated by who they work with or who they work for, especially not in a retail environment where a team spirit is a necessity. If you're not going to formally train your employees, ditch the blinds and wallpaper. No one working in the store wants to deal with that stuff. You're Rodda PAINT, so stick to paint.

"It was OKAY for a first job, low pay, and always felt like a hassle to take days off or to be sick"

Former Employee - Customer Support in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Portland, OR

I worked at Rodda Paint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

easy work, typically nice people and work environment, lots of vacation time

Cons

low pay, no sick days

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's and treat people better

7. "Made a lot of friends - Overall good experience."

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Portland, OR

I worked at Rodda Paint full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very close knit, family-oriented atmosphere. Very good people to work with/for. The President and management genuinely care about the employees.

Cons

President of the company tends to focus too much on selling, where he should be focused on running the company as a whole and leave the selling to those people he is paying to sell. Employees who are "weak-links" never get cut and others have to make up for their weaknesses.

Advice to Management

Be honest and cut employees who aren't pulling their weight and reward those who are. Don't be afraid to treat people differently. Most importantly: Make a decision!

8. "very good"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Tacoma, WA

Pros

Good benifits,freedom to make decisions,decent pay,good people,a very healthy company in the market place, good products

Cons

Long hours,managment does not listen to employees ideas,hard to reach goals , hard to do simple tasks such as mixing a gallon of paint

Advice to Management

Make things easy to do such as mixing a gallon of paint,invoicing,ordering etc. This will allow more time for employees to spend wit the customer

9. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Delivery Driver
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Delivery Driver

I worked at Rodda Paint full-time

Pros

Really fun job, helps to build customer service and sales skills

Cons

Little room for growth, very market dependent

Advice to Management

More support for smaller stores

10. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Rodda Paint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benifits, manager was flexible, fun work environment, great coworkers, hours weren't bad for retail, repeat customers that treat employees well!

Cons

Don't pay people what they are worth, no raises, promotion within the company is hit or miss, mostly miss since they seem to like hiring from our competition for management roles.

Advice to Management

Promotion from within should be focused on, vs hiring managers with no experience at Rodda, it's never fun to train your boss.