Roehl Transport OTR Flatbed Driver Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 14, 2019

2.9
Roehl Transport CEO Rick Roehl
Rick Roehl

"It is still a great experience. Lots of room fir advancement ."

Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice secure job it just depends on the person

Cons

Non yet, any issue I had was easily resolved

Advice to Management

Keep making the drivers a priority and everything will continue to run smoothly

Roehl Transport2018-10-02

"Good company to start, if you are young."

Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay compared to other starting companies Good hometime for an otr company. Plenty of fleet options Get treated like a family by other drivers Good load variety and locations If wanting to see the nation, i saw 46 states first year.

Cons

Training used to be amazing. And still is better then most but could use some improvements If going through GYCDL, 7k contract if you quit, or get fired before 120k miles They mama bear. A lot.

Advice to Management

Stop the 6 month training and stop pushing everyone to train

Roehl Transport2019-07-14

"good start...downhill very fast"

Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

get your cdl program, works with drivers personal issues

Cons

certain management treating drivers like children (not fleet managers)

Roehl Transport2019-03-05

"Flatbed OTR"

Former Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in East Saint Louis, IL

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is really no pros to this company.

Cons

The pay is terrible. You have to do a couple weeks just to get a couple of days off. Also they want you to sign a contract don’t do it leave the bonus please. They claim to have national flatbed routes but you’ll only stay in the Midwest. Please don’t be fooled. Way to many companies that’ll pay 1,200-1,600 weekly with home time weekly don’t settle for less.

Roehl Transport2019-01-16

"Started off great! Now not so much..."

Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in National, WV

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

The GYCDL Program was awesome; a little fast paced, yet so is the job... The instructors that I trained under during Phase One are amazing! Very reliable teachers. Answered most all of the questions I along with the other trainees had. The questions they didn’t know the answers to, they found and answered the next day. Phase Two was a lot more stressful for me personally, the Cargo Securement class should have been longer than one day. The OTR trainer I had was ok; I feel like he should have been trained better as an instructor. 1. Great Instructors for those new to the environment. 2. Team members (other drivers) offer their help. 3. Trucks are newer but basic... 4. ELD Compliant

Cons

As stated above, awesome company leading up to going solo and being assigned a truck... 1. Fleet Manager is okay; we have our differences. Learning to just do as he says. (When I started phase Two i was required to contact him once a day... I distinctly remember him saying for me to be successful him and I need to work together as a team... now that I am solo it is more like he “yells jump” and my response is required to be “how high.” Not a team effort. More like I do as he says or risk retaliation.) 2. Dispatch does not plan times correctly based on routing. Fuel and Routing is ridiculous; (plan @55MPH) then proceeds to route you through every small town not built for trucks with speeds as low as 15MPH. And then has the nerve to blame you for being late. 3. The fleet management personnel are taught to place blame on the driver if anything goes wrong. Regardless of the nature of the problem. (I.e Poor F&R Plan/Unsafe Roads/Unsafe Traffic {being routed through areas during “rush hour”}/.etc) 4. Miles Assigned are not as promised. 5. Loads are forced on drivers (even if logical reason to refuse the load is presented.) 6. Forced to sign contract (miles based) [refer to number 4.] 7. Equipment is rusted beyond repair (securement equip.) 8. Weekend dispatch/Over Night Fleet Managers are 85% useless. (That is if you can actually get through to someone via their automated voip system.) 9. Repeatedly sent to shippers that have a well known history of being a cemetery for HOS. 10. GPS System is often incorrect (wrong exit numbers, road names incorrect, speed alert is wrong 60% of the time) 11. Event Recorders (inward facing is invasion of privacy) 12. Lane Control Alert goes off randomly... (could be on a road with not a single line anywhere for miles but it will repeatedly go off setting off the event recorder.) 13. Bendix System/Collision Mitigating System is overwhelmingly inaccurate. (I’ve had it slam(literally) on the brakes and I was the only vehicle on the road for miles) (no obstructions in road either) Apparently these trucks are scared of shadows... 14. Governed at 65... More of a traffic hazard than safe. especially on the roads with speeds above that. (These trucks struggle to climb a damn hill empty due to being governed.) 15. Everything that goes wrong is the Drivers Fault. 16. Pay is lower than most other companies. (Based on per mile rates)

Advice to Management

Not worth the argument. If I didn’t fear losing my job and being forced to pay the current outstanding contract... I’d tell them myself. ...Open Door Policy Doesn’t Protect Against Retaliation...

Roehl Transport2018-07-07

"Awful company"

OTR Flatbed Driver in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Roehl Transport for less than a year

Pros

Can't think of any - may be the school, but that's done by a third party

Cons

Lack of miles, low pay, weak fleet managers who don't care about their drivers, misinformation all the time, bad scheduling, arriving for a drop and no one there

Advice to Management

Be truthful and upfront in your recruitment about the realistic mileage you can expect

Roehl Transport2018-02-07

"Trust is earned"

Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

The GYCDL program in Marshfield trains you enough to pass the test, but the trainers there really care and help you. They are SERIOUS about safety, which is why I chose them. A LOT of bonus pays: going to NY/Long Island/Canada, tarping, detention, snow, short-haul, lay-over, break-down, Hazmat, over dimensions w/permit... very few companies offer these extra pays. New Equpitment

Cons

Been sitting for almost 3 weeks still no OTRT after training in Marshfield. Not enough flatbed securement training, no tarting training, no computer training (co-pilot), not enough map and trip planing training. No gun/weapon or guard dog for protection allowed in Trailer.

Advice to Management

Get people out faster, pay what you say you will pay, give miles or stop hiring too many people. Allow people to protect themselves with their LEGALLY registered gun or guard dog (they take on all responsibilities) if they are OTR for 3/4 weeks out. Very unsafe for young drivers/women without security.

Roehl Transport2016-11-07

"Safety oriented. Plenty of miles and home time."

Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

Safety oriented company that will get you home when needed and will stay off your back while you're working and at home.

Cons

Low start pay for rookies but if you stick around for six months it can go up .085 cents per mile or higher depending upon your learning curve

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Roehl Transport2016-10-10

"Great company"

Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

I came to this company with no experience and went through the GYCDL program out of Phoenix Terminal. Upon successful completion I went home and sat about 4 days until assigned to my trainer. Did about 14 Otr training days and then tested out to be on my own. Their program trained me well and I didn't feel as if they just passed me to get me out there. I felt I earn it by working hard. I met my fm in person upon getting to marshfield. I felt like an asset after that meeting. I run hard meaning I stay out at a minimum of 6 weeks to 8 weeks by choice. My fm keeps my wheels turning, treats me with respect, and even supports some decisions I make under certain circumstances. I've never had a bad contact with my fm and he is my asset. We make a good team. As far as the company it's really good. Work hard, rewards come your way, have a bad attitude I'm sure you will get the same. I've only had one bad contact with a mechanic and it was settled right there between us, but outside of that it has always been positive. My pay is good, my miles are good but I certainly would take more too. Roehl is big on safety, and yes there are things people say about Roehl being too controlling. Well look at the company as a whole, their equipment, employees ect. I take pride in my job and I want to represent myself as well as my company professionally. Currently since March I'm at about 40,000 miles. My pay is averaging just over 1000.00 a week. I have benefits, brand new truck, great fm, great company all around. Come to Roehl, it will be a great choice.

Cons

I've yet to really find any that stands out to be a true con. Some people will put anything down, but for me it has to be something important to the job.

Advice to Management

Get an outside account for truck washes. We don't always get to terminals to wash our trucks. Our trucks are a moving marketing campaign and if your truck is dirty it will reflect that the company is dirty too. I take pride in my ride and I wash it every chance I get but there has been times it looks really bad. Maybe have a max of 1 off terminal wash a month. If you do mandatory training offer a wage for that time since we can't run miles during your training session. Keep things moving forward as you are and I will be a member of TeamRoehl for a long time or until I retire.

Roehl Transport2016-06-19

"7 days on 7 days off (flatbed)"

Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Roehl Transport part-time for less than a year

Pros

-2500-3000 mile weeks. -Great Driver Manager (Darrel) -Well maintained trucks -APU'S -Phoenix AZ Terminal is like a little family -Start 36 CPM with flatbed 39 CPM at 6 months -Get you home when the say they will.

Cons

Weekend and Night shift operations SUCK. Almost impossible to get a person on the phone during the weeked. Slow trucks, Governed at 63 MPH

Advice to Management

Answer the phone on weekends.

Roehl Transport2015-08-29